Checklists

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm an absolute beginner to Caravanning and was wondering if the more experienced people on here would recommend working from a checklist when getting ready to go on a trip?
I used to fly Microlights so I am used to working through checklists before every trip.
Is there somewhere I can find ready made checklists that I can adapt for my own use?

Thanks

Barry

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Click Here for safety checklists and pre-tow PDF's from the Camping and Caravanning Club and it's certainly worth while compling a list of essentials that you will need for a good holiday.
Since we went off without her packing her undercrackers one time
smiley-embarassed.gif
my other half uses a list of essentials that is saved on my computer so that before we embark on a trip which will last for more than a weeend I print one off for her to use. We can adapt the list as time goes by to add or remove items that we bought just for the caravan and which stay on board now.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We alawys use a check list which is made up as a weight spreadsheet. I vary it depending on the type of trip that we are going on and without fail it is used every time we venture out. I did it first and foremost for weight safety but it is invaluable for packing the van and remembering what to take as we empty the van totally after each trip. I also took the van in its heaviest loaded condition and checked the actual weight versus the total as shown in the spreadsheet. Within a 250kg payload the actual was 25kg less than the weighed. But even so we periodically hav eto do a trawl to ensure no 'creepers' gain entry.
I find ladies have no concept of what liquids weigh. In our early days it was not unusual to find 15kg of drinks in the fridge, plus loads more under the seats. When a fridge door shelf broke for the Nth time the message began to get through. I lost count of the number of times some of our tins of Cassoulet ( a staple emergency food supply) have been to France and come back again. But with effort you will prevail!

Sennd me your email via Parksy and I will copy you my spreadsheet

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Barry,
being new to this game a check list is a good idea to start with, but my advice would be to gradually build up your van supplies and leave them in the van then you dont forget anything, we never use a list as everthing thats in the van stays in the van from tv to can opener, only things that needs packing afresh are put in like clothes, food, and medication,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My van is kept in a secure storage site with CCTV but I wouldn't want to leave much in it just in case anyone decides to get light fingered. You can lose valuable stuff quite quickly. Even when brought back for a trip out she's not loaded until the evening before and that doesn't include TV and sat box. I accept that when on site security might be less but I'd rather not temp fate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Checklists sound like a good idea but then you need another of which the first item is - 'Find and read the main check list'
As an aviator you will be familiar with the 'pre-take-off walkround' best done alone and without distractions and this fits well with caravanning.
Quite a lot depends on your 'co-pilot' particularly if you 'delegate' the internal stuff - windows and rooflights closed and secured, fridge changed over, etc.
Movers are a potential problem - remembering to disengage the rollers is a very good idea, but this fits into the walk-round.

I have found the most likely cause of problems to be too many friends. I know this sounds terrible but when you leave a long-stay site e.g. in spain after Easter and 4 months on site you will be very unlucky if you don't have a fairly large group of lovely people come to see you off, help you pack, offer you a farewell drink etc. etc. What is not to like ? except in all the emotion is is very easy to get distracted and leave with a roof vent open etc.

Then, at the next convenient pull-off from the site, stop, and check everything over again in peace and quiet.

But, hey, I can/have get/got used to problems like this.

My solution is to get as near ready for departure as you can the evening before. if the pitch permits angle the van for direct hitch up, or even hitch, test lights etc. I've fitted a small on-board water tank so all we have to do is disconnect electric, plug in the car, whind the legs up, lock the van (oops change over the fridge) and go.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just re-read my posting. PCV computer has got into the spirit of my reply and scrambled the word order ( honest - not me)

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I keep two checklists on the computer, one for UK use and one for when we are going to France which has a lot more on it. I print one off and then cross the items off the list when they are in the car or caravan. I also have a short list above the caravan door which is with things on it such as 'is the TV aerial down', 'are cupboards locked shut', 'has the loo been emptied', switch off gas etc. You can't beat lists !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The pundits would suggest keeping check list punchy and not necessarily gramatical with subject first and the action second.ie.g not 'are the roof vents closed' but Roof Vents - CLOSED

But you still need to be able to find your check list

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts