Chirk site

Oct 30, 2006
Visit site
We are off to the CC Lady Margarets Park site for our first trip of the year , in only our 2nd year out and about, we cannot wait.Asit is an early Easter e hope the weather is better than most trips last year , but what the hell, we loved it, wonder what we have got to look forward to staying in Chirk, got 10 year old child and dogs in tow so any advice on the site and area we would be thankful for.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi our friend stayed at chirk in late october nice site have to travel to oswestry or langollen on site pitch to your right of site as the left side is shady and can hear factory noise nice site can walk to village we had a ride on but not stoped

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mr C,

We haven't stayed at the Lady Margaret's Park instead choosing to stay at a CL just the other side of the A5. Had a look at the CC site and it does have a very nice setting. Chirk Castle, a National Trust property, should be open by Easter.

There isn't much in Chirk itself apart from a few small shops/restaurants etc. We visited Llangollen (7 miles away) and spent a few hours on the railway. Some nice shops and cafes there too.

Oswestry is a much bigger town 6 miles away with a wider variety of shops, supermarket and an outdoor market.

Hope this helps.

Martin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mr C, Lady Margarets Park at Chirk is a nice site with all the cc standards. Avoid the enclosure which is surrounded with trees, on the left, for your early visit. The chocolate factory isn't a problem from the site except when the wind is blowing towards the site, then you get the choco smells!!!! The dog walk is a small wooded area just outside the gates and ajacent to the local Chirk castle estate. Sheep are normaly present in the ajoining field so watch your dog and treat him/her for ticks before/after your visit. I had to remove a tick from my dog after a visit in the early months a couple of years ago but I have also had to remove said, after visits to Yorkshire on numerious occasions!!!! Dogs aren't allowed in the castle as we found out after a mile or two walk from the site!!! The canal walk is ok but can get muddy in places after rain. You can walk over the viaduct which spans the river dee if you have a head for heights. If your 10yr old likes walks etc then it will be ok but can't say there is much on the site or surroundings for children. Have a look at http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/ and enter Lady Margarets Park in the search and click on the R for more reviews.

Enjoy

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mr C

I agree with all that Brian and others have said.

Lady M P Site is a lovely site for those who like to get away from it all. It is conveniently located near to the A5. Incidentally there is a large car boat sale on Sundays on the A5 near to Chirk. There is, also, a Mac Donalds nearby on the A5 too. It is set in a wooded area on the outskirts of the village and near the railway station. It is split into 2 distinct areas a more open grassed area with pitches around the edge or a wooded area on the left. We had an autumn seasonal pitch there a few years back. We chose the wooded area as we liked the "secluded" setting. It is a great site for walks. The canal towpath walk is a great one and as well as the aqueduct to be crossed there is, also, the tunnel. The tunnel is not too long but a torch is handy and our kids thought it very exciting. The tunnel actually runs under the caravan site!

There is not much in Chirk itself other than a few shops, a chippy and a restaurant. Llangollen about 5 miles away is a lovely town with canal boat trips and steam railway trips. There is a good range of shops and restaurants and a Victorian School interactive museum. It is again a good base for walks along the canal. Last year we climbed to the top of the hill with the ruined castle on for the first time. - a good path which takes about an hour up. I've been wanting to climb to that castle for nearly 40 years since I first saw it. Oswestry, Wrexham and Chester are large towns within reach. Chester can be reached by train if you want to leave the car.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Chirk Castle is right next door, Erddig is a couple of miles away and Powys Castle at Welshpool is pretty close as well. All are NT properties. The aquaduct at Chirk is impressive but the big one is the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. Park just off the A5 at Froncysyllte and walk along the canal a short distance before crossing the aquaduct.

A bit further away, but only 30 minutes drive is Chester Zoo,Cheshire Oaks retail park, and a whole host of things to do on a wet day.

You're missing out on the best park......The Plassey which is only 10mins drive away in the beautiful Dee Valley!

OK OK.....so I am a little biased, but have a look at us when you are in the area. We have golfing, fishing, swimming, craft centre, nature trail walks, restaurant etc etc. Then make up you mind.

All the best,

John Brookshaw MD www.plassey.com

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Excellent site with a play area. The factory noise is not a real problem and less so when the leaves are on the trees. Trains go to Chester and Shrewsbury from the local station. Other interesting places are Ellesmere- lovely lake and walks as well as village. Stans supermarket at St Martins is worth a visit- an unusual mix of cheap goods with some very exclusive stuff. (Some things I haven't seen since the 50s!) He also often offers 6p a litre off fuel if you spend

Oct 30, 2006
Visit site
Thank you for all the advice, we cannot wait to go, we are a bit stir crazy at the moment as my wife has had two back Op's in the last six months , but as she returns to work next month , she will need the rest by Easter !

TRENDING THREADS