Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
This may well be a completely naive question but does anyone go away in their caravans for Christmas?

If so are they travelling to recognised sites with services or are they hardened enough to rough it half way up an Alp with no supplies other than those which they carry?

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Peter

We (*my husband and I* lol) frequently go away in the van for Christmas and/or New Year. We always use Club sites though, we're not really into roughing it!!

The atmosphere on sites at that time of year is fantastic, everyone is so friendly and happy ('merry' is probably a more appropriate word, lol). We're off to Sandringham CC site this year.

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Good grief, that was fast. I was only half way down my first croissant.

Many thanks indeed for that. It looks like we may well be away for christms then - at long last.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Good grief, that was fast. I was only half way down my first croissant.

Many thanks indeed for that. It looks like we may well be away for christms then - at long last.
I'm a fast worker lol!!

Lots of people take pretty lights and decorations for their vans and awnings - really makes the site look festive. And (depending on where you go) the Wardens sometimes have a little drinks and nibbles party - so take plenty of wine and mince pies!!

Enjoy your croissants..!

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
were of to troutbeck head again,cant wait.its a great time of the year to go in the van but make sure you prepare your van for the frosts and be sure to book it soon as many sites book up very early on.

try it ,youll love it

dave

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
We went away last year for xmas for the first time it was fab, needless to say we are going again this year. You need to book soon as pitches are at a premium at xmas

Kevin H

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Thank you everyone, I suspected that we would be laughed off the forum and certainly didn't expect that 'proper' sites would be open.

Excellent, now we need a quiet evening to sit down with the maps and guides.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've never been at Christmas before, and this year suggested it to the kids and they were all for it - so booked 6 nights at Wharfedale. Decided that Strid Wood was better as all hardstanding and changed my booking, but only 5 nights as they were fully booked.

Now just got to get a tree for the van, a fibre optic one I think - can't wait.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
A fibre optic tree. Thats what we had last year at Dornafield in Devon. Well I was amaised at what people took to decorate the vans and awnings with. There were lights around vans and awnings there were even father xmas and snow men lit up outside caravans, we felt quite under done. Well it was our first year!!

wait till this year, ill need more than 6 amp electric lol

Kevin H

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
Stayed away 2 years ago, just me and the wife, Horns Dam in goosnargh Preston, decorated the van, had a lovely meal and we even fished the lake christmas morning, who said romance was dead.

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Peter

We've been away each year since we got our first caravan in 04. We've been to Oxon Hall at Shrewsbury, Oxford CCC, and Cirencester Park CC. Like Derek, this year we are going to Moreton-in-Marsh CC. We arrive on Boxing Day and return home on 31st as other commitments prevent a longer break. It is lovely to see all the caravans dressed up; we walk round the site most evenings admiring the lights. Some people are quite ingeneious and manage quite notable but never-the-less tasteful displays. Keep up the good work fellow caravaners!

Regards

Denise

Jan 30, 2007
Visit site
We belong to the C&CC, our Area organises a Christmas Meet in Hampshire, everything is laid on inc food and evening entertainment, also a theatre trip. We have been away to a small site with just electric before with friends about 10 vans and had an excellent time. You are right it is amaszing what you can decorate your vans with, as for a christmas tree get a cheapy and put it outside on the jockey wheel. Not tried a Club site yet but we want to and judging by the other comments we will soon.

Apr 3, 2007
Visit site
We have been away at new year before but not xmas, i wanted to try it this year but it will be my grandsons 1st xmas so i want to be here to see him so we are off on a rally on 28th Dec to gloucster.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts