Chronological order - latest posts first when signed in

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi, when I'm signed in I prefer to see the very latest post on a thread at the top of the page. Is there a preferences setting for this cos I've searched and just cannot find one ?!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I find the bell symbol, which I believe is supposed to link me to new posts made since my last visit. Is completely unreliable. It gives me a red number to say how many, but there are usually 2 or 3 more highlighted than this. But then, when I look at ‘latest activity’, there can be new posts in there from threads I am watching, which it did not remind me of.

John

Reactions: arob.wk

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you look at the title page, next to the Practical Caravan logo are three horizontal lines.
Click on the lines and from the drop down box click on New Posts.
From there look for the grey breadcrumbs across the top of the reply boxes and slide the text to the left until the Latest Activity is revealed.

Click on that and you will navigate to the latest post in current threads.
It's a bit of a rigmarole, but it works for me.Screenshot_20210724-002637_Chrome.jpg

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Thanks, but that it just too complicated: when we haved actually signed-in to the forum and go to a thread (any thread) we should see the latest post on that thread 1st - simple as that I reckon !! (That's what happens on another forum I regularly access/post on - it could easily happen here and it's so much more convenient!)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, but that it just too complicated: when we haved actually signed-in to the forum and go to a thread (any thread) we should see the latest post on that thread 1st - simple as that I reckon !! (That's what happens on another forum I regularly access/post on - it could easily happen here and it's so much more convenient!)
Sorry that you find three mouse clicks 'just too complicated'.
I'll raise this issue with admin when they return to work on Monday, and if they can't alter their software to your liking perhaps they will be able to explain to you the best method to use to see the latest posts.

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Sorry that you find three mouse clicks 'just too complicated'.
I'll raise this issue with admin when they return to work on Monday, and if they can't alter their software to your liking perhaps they will be able to explain to you the best method to use to see the latest posts.

3 mouse clicks are not really "just too complicated" - they are simply extremely tedious, inefficient and, actually, totally unnecessary. Thanks, though, Parksy for picking up the baton. Hopefully Admin will understand the gripe.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If the software is changed, I hope the option to see thread postings in chronological order is retained - I find it so much easier to read from top to bottom.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What’s complicated about clicking on the thread on the right hand side where the latest contribution is shown That takes you straight to the latest post.
The other option is just under the thread title in latest posts you see “ Fred posted….” Click and it takes you to Fred’s post. As it is now you can quickly go to the start of the thread or to the latest post. It’s really not an issue in any shape or form.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
What’s complicated about clicking on the thread on the right hand side where the latest contribution is shown That takes you straight to the latest post.
The other option is just under the thread title in latest posts you see “ Fred posted….” Click and it takes you to Fred’s post. As it is now you can quickly go to the start of the thread or to the latest post. It’s really not an issue in any shape or form.
otherclive I am in totally agreement I also cannot see anything wrong either :)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

It is what it is, and this is a nice forum so worth putting up with the clunky software. Clunky when compared to other forums. Presumably by ‘the right hand side’ you mean the ‘bell’ symbol. Perhaps it’s just me, but it is totally unreliable. Reports the wrong quantity, and misses out threads which have clearly been updated since my last visit. It is then necessary to go hunting for them.

Definitely room for improvement. But just my opinion.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here’s the screen shot (second image) when my link takes me to New Posts. Just press Beachballs time and the latest post in that thread opens Bell what Bell I’ve never needed to look for or press a bell symbol.
I too use other forums and this one is just as easy to use as others. Life doesnt have to be one size fits all

If you have your screen turned to landscape you get other choices. The upper screenshot is from Trending. Look to the rhs and click on the latest post time. IE the 1 minute above otherClive 3EB92BDF-BC42-4146-B403-3AF6D0425F58.jpg
8E751806-B406-4E9C-8549-C1C5A27490C5.png

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Here’s the screen shot (second image) when my link takes me to New Posts. Just press Beachballs time and the latest post in that thread opens Bell what Bell I’ve never needed to look for or press a bell symbol.
I too use other forums and this one is just as easy to use as others. Life doesnt have to be one size fits all

If you have your screen turned to landscape you get other choices. The upper screenshot is from Trending. Look to the rhs and click on the latest post time. IE the 1 minute above otherClive View attachment 2088
View attachment 2087

Thanks, I do similar. But the notifications you missed should take out the legwork.

The bell symbol is known as ‘notifications’. What should happen, (I believe). Is that all threads you have subscribed to are monitored. If a post has been made since your last visit, you should find it right there in chronological order. It’s a great facility, makes life slicker and easier. But in my opinion, it is unreliable on this forum when compared to others. There should be a red number to inform you of how many posts have been made since your last visit. But the number rarely is the same as the actual notifications. And those notifications are incomplete.

This is not a complaint, it’s an observation.

John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As Clive has kindly pointed out, there are several methods that can be used to see the latest forum posts.
The bell is a simple alert which indicates that there are new posts in threads or from forum members that an individual happens to be following.
Personally I rarely use it because it won't navigate to the latest comments.
I'll bring this thread to the attention of admin who continue to make improvements to this forum behind the scenes, but I can't guarantee that there'll be a simple universal method that everyone will be happy with, or that a software re-write will take place.
Every internet forum has it's really good points and its drawbacks, this website is no exception, but the forum admin are totally committed to delivering a friendly and reasonably easy to use platform for us all to enjoy.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I do similar. But the notifications you missed should take out the legwork.

The bell symbol is known as ‘notifications’. What should happen, (I believe). Is that all threads you have subscribed to are monitored. If a post has been made since your last visit, you should find it right there in chronological order. It’s a great facility, makes life slicker and easier. But in my opinion, it is unreliable on this forum when compared to others. There should be a red number to inform you of how many posts have been made since your last visit. But the number rarely is the same as the actual notifications. And those notifications are incomplete.

This is not a complaint, it’s an observation.

John

The OP first post said nothing about notifications he just wanted posts to list in chronological order with the latest first. I was just trying to answer his specific question.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Personally I rarely use it because it won't navigate to the latest comments.

In other forums I have always found the notifications to be the go to place, not to take you to the latest comments. But to take you to the next unread post in that thread. In this way continuity was maintained.

This, for me, is then followed by ‘new posts’ and/or ‘latest activity’ to see if there are any threads I wish to subscription too.

For me, it is unfortunate that the notifications are proving unreliable.

(But not a game changer).

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The OP first post said nothing about notifications he just wanted posts to list in chronological order with the latest first. I was just trying to answer his specific question.

You made the point that you didn’t use the ‘bell’. I was responding to that, hoped I could be informative for you.

Sorry you took exception.

John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
In other forums I have always found the notifications to be the go to place, not to take you to the latest comments. But to take you to the next unread post in that thread. In this way continuity was maintained.

This, for me, is then followed by ‘new posts’ and/or ‘latest activity’ to see if there are any threads I wish to subscription too.

For me, it is unfortunate that the notifications are proving unreliable.

(But not a game changer).

John
The notifications (the bell) will notify you about posts or threads that you decided to follow.
For instance, if a newbie joins this forum and I suspect that the new account might be from a spammer I click to 'Follow' that newbie.
The potential spammer often posts a couple of seemingly innocent comments first, so I can't act without evidence
The notification lets me know that the person that I'm following has posted and will take me to that post.
The notification can't deliver alerts about members that I'm not following.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The notifications (the bell) will notify you about posts or threads that you decided to follow.
For instance, if a newbie joins this forum and I suspect that the new account might be from a spammer I click to 'Follow' that newbie.
The potential spammer often posts a couple of seemingly innocent comments first, so I can't act without evidence
The notification lets me know that the person that I'm following has posted and will take me to that post.
The notification can't deliver alerts about members that I'm not following.

Not as sophisticated as other forums in that case. I must be over expecting.

I am aware it will not alert me if I am not following a poster, There would not really be any point. but it is unreliable even if you are following.
John

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Clearly "older" members have found their own ways to navigate threads and the existing PC forum setup suits them. I can live with obviously, BUT it would so good if one could have a "switch" in personal settings that allowed either oldest post 1st or (my fav') newest post 1st. Would it be possible to program that into forum settings options during a future software update or would it be too difficult ??

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clearly "older" members have found their own ways to navigate threads and the existing PC forum setup suits them. I can live with obviously, BUT it would so good if one could have a "switch" in personal settings that allowed either oldest post 1st or (my fav') newest post 1st. Too complicated ???
It’s the first time since the Forum website was given a major upgrade that anyone has brought up the topic. This website update sought the views of members and it wasn’t mentioned as a requirement. Not sure what your definition of “older” is but no one of any age range, or membership time has raised the subject. I’m sure many will be familiar with other Forums too. But if website admin can accommodate your requirement then that would be good.

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
It’s the first time since the Forum website was given a major upgrade that anyone has brought up the topic. This website update sought the views of members and it wasn’t mentioned as a requirement. Not sure what your definition of “older” is but no one of any age range, or membership time has raised the subject. I’m sure many will be familiar with other Forums too. But if website admin can accommodate your requirement then that would be good.

OK, "longer term" members might have been better wording ! :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Not as sophisticated as other forums in that case. I must be over expecting.
I am aware it will not alert me if I am not following a poster, There would not really be any point. but it is unreliable even if you are following.
John
If you want really accurate notifications you can click to receive email alerts.
Clearly "older" members have found their own ways to navigate threads and the existing PC forum setup suits them. I can live with obviously, BUT it would so good if one could have a "switch" in personal settings that allowed either oldest post 1st or (my fav') newest post 1st. Would it be possible to program that into forum settings options during a future software update or would it be too difficult ??
I'm sorry that I'm unable to give you an answer at present.
As a lowly volunteer forum moderator I wouldn't know how easy or difficult any software alterations might be.
This website is owned and administered by Future Publications but the software is hosted by Xenforo forums, so I'm not sure how much modification is possible, but when our admin is back at work in New York tomorrow he'll be aware of this thread and he'll be able to reply.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If you want really accurate notifications you can click to receive email alerts.

Just to make sure your aware. I am NOT complaining. Just observing that on other forums the watched, or subscribed too posts are alerted or notified to the user extremely reliably. And this makes navigating a doddle.

But as I said earlier, it is what it is…I will not be loosing any sleep, I hope you don’t either.

(Not sure of the best words so used alternatives). 😏

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts