Citroen C8 2.0 SX Hdi

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alison

I have a 2004 2.2 hdi C8 and have towed my 1300kg van over most of Europe. The car is very stable whilst towing and not affected very much by sidewinds or truck turbulence. Fuel consumption is 23 to 25 mpg with the van on the back. The new C8's have a choice of power outputs for the 2.0 hdi engine 110bhp ,120bhp , 136bhp. If you have a choice, pick the 136 bhp model as it is a large car and I feel the 110bhp engine is not really powerful enough with a caravan on the back. If you don't have a choice you will need to change gear much more often. Incidentley my C8 has been the most unreliable car I have owned in many a year so in all honesty I would not recommend anyone to purchase one. Wish you luck

Cliff

Apr 17, 2006
Visit site
Hi Alison, I also own a C8 and its the same model that you are enquiring about. I tow a Hymer 535, unladen weight 1370kg and had no problems and tows fine.Unlike Cliff, I have had very little trouble and I am well pleased with it.Fuel consumption is about 31mpg when towing, 37mpg general use. My last car was a Sorento, swopped for two reasons, 1 -fuel consumption was horendous, 2 - not much room for my needs.For all round practical camping use the C8 is the better car.Hope this helps

Sep 11, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Cliff & Graham for your comments.

We bought the car last weekend actually and I don't think the kids would let us get rid now anyway, they have never had so much room. Personally I love it, it's so comfortable to drive and travel in but the test will be when we tow the caravan. We have a Crown Sceptre 5 berth and it's laden weight is 1300kg so hopefully we will be OK. I don't know what bhp the car is though. Might need to check that.

We haven't got a towbar connected yet, that hopefully will be sorted within the next week so we can take the caravan out but I'm not sure what towbar would be best. We had a basic flange one on the Picasso but as the C8 has parking sensors, I've been told that this type of towbar would interfere with them. Also the swan neck could possibly do this as well. To be honest, we can't afford the detachable one so what do we get?

Graham - could you advise what kind of towbar you use?

Thanks Alison

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alison

I agree with your comments the C8 is an extremely comfortable car to travel in and my kids insisted I had the model with electric sliding doors. You will have no problems towing your van weighing 1300kg.

Perhaps my C8 was a Friday afternoon car as Graham has no probs with his C8. My worst fault was a turbo blowing on a french autoroute whilst towing my van to the south of France. The car was only 4 months old and we were stranded in the middle of France for 6 days whilst Citroen France sourced the parts and repaired it.This has probably made me more critical of the car than I would mormally have been but it did ruin my summer holiday and 4 months after spending 20K on a car this was the last thing I expected. Most of the other faults involve trim breaking or falling off and things electrical not operating as they should. You may like to check that your particular vehicle has had all the Citroen recalls dealt with - my car has had 3 recalls the latest being yesterday for problems with the brakes. Details are held on Citroen Dealers computer system if you need to check.

I have just taken out an extra years warranty to try and spare myself any large repair bills when the 3 years warranty runs out. If your vehicle isnt new you might keep this in mind.

I have the detachable swan neck towbar which was fitted by Citroen and this has no effect on the reversing sensors and I leave it on all the time which I suppose makes having a removeable bar a bit pointless. With the caravan on the back when you select reverse the reversing sensors make a constant noise because of the closeness of the A frame and I have been unable to find a way to turn it off.

I hope you enjoy your new car

Cliff

Sep 11, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Cliff for this info, we are difinitely going to keep an eye on everything. The car is an 04 and the warranty runs out next March. We also have a two year warranty from the dealer but no doubt that is only going to cover certain things.

I shouldn't think the recalls will cover this car, would they but I'll check anyway. So far the only problem is getting used to the handbrake, fancy putting it on the wrong side!

Alison

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Alison

I agree with your comments the C8 is an extremely comfortable car to travel in and my kids insisted I had the model with electric sliding doors. You will have no problems towing your van weighing 1300kg.

Perhaps my C8 was a Friday afternoon car as Graham has no probs with his C8. My worst fault was a turbo blowing on a french autoroute whilst towing my van to the south of France. The car was only 4 months old and we were stranded in the middle of France for 6 days whilst Citroen France sourced the parts and repaired it.This has probably made me more critical of the car than I would mormally have been but it did ruin my summer holiday and 4 months after spending 20K on a car this was the last thing I expected. Most of the other faults involve trim breaking or falling off and things electrical not operating as they should. You may like to check that your particular vehicle has had all the Citroen recalls dealt with - my car has had 3 recalls the latest being yesterday for problems with the brakes. Details are held on Citroen Dealers computer system if you need to check.

I have just taken out an extra years warranty to try and spare myself any large repair bills when the 3 years warranty runs out. If your vehicle isnt new you might keep this in mind.

I have the detachable swan neck towbar which was fitted by Citroen and this has no effect on the reversing sensors and I leave it on all the time which I suppose makes having a removeable bar a bit pointless. With the caravan on the back when you select reverse the reversing sensors make a constant noise because of the closeness of the A frame and I have been unable to find a way to turn it off.

Cliff
inserlation tape over the sensers disarms them works every time

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
hi i have 807 same car i tow swift 590 twin axel tows fine but could do whith a little more power but will do untill wife lets me have 4x4 new nissan pathfinder she sead i have to see whot the reports say it tows like

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Alison

Cliff
Hi,

I have a Peugeot 607 with a detachable swan neck I also have reversing sensors that when reverse is selected gives a 2 second alarm then switches off but I think it is either a specific 12n socket with a bypass relay built into it.

Martin E

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Peugeot 607 with a detachable swan neck I also have reversing sensors that when reverse is selected gives a 2 second alarm then switches off but I think it is either a specific 12n socket with a bypass relay built into it.

Martin E

P.S. sorry I meant to post it in this bit not the comment bit.:-(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts