Clean Air Zones

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It has been my understanding that at one time to become a city there had to be a cathedral, but is there a cathedral in Milton Keynes?
When does a hamlet become a village, a village a town and a town a city?
The definition of a city in the UK is a place which has been granted city status by the monarch. There are 66 cities in the UK - 50 in England, five in Wales, six in Scotland and five in Northern Ireland. ... There's nothing to stop places declaring themselves a city - Dunfermline did it."22 Jun 2011

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The definition of a city in the UK is a place which has been granted city status by the monarch. There are 66 cities in the UK - 50 in England, five in Wales, six in Scotland and five in Northern Ireland. ... There's nothing to stop places declaring themselves a city - Dunfermline did it."22 Jun 2011
A city may have its status removed too. Viz Rochester and Elgin. Becoming a city confers no special benefits compared to being a town.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One of the side effects of LEZ in towns and cities is that people start using out of town shopping centres and the High Street dies. I cannot recall when last we shopped in the High Street in any of the towns or cities near to us, but this was mainly due to parking issues.
People are reducing their footfall in out of town shopping centres too, so given that there are very few active LEZ as what could be the cause of that trend. Answers in a single word.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Birmingham was the first town without a cathedral to become a city, in 1889.
Basically , they make it up as you go along😵‍💫😵‍💫
Have no fear! Woburn Sands may well become the next Royal Rotten Borough. Whoops! I meant Royal Woburn Sands 👏👏👏

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Are you allowed to pass wind in a clean zone or are there "wind cops" (for want of a more descriptive word)out there looking out for this with handcuffs

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I thought I would check out the ever increasing number of these zones to see how my vehicles are affected.
I have a 12 year old 1.4 litre Diesel that when new was classed as very low polluting and has an annual VED of £30
My 20 year old tow car is a 2.7 litre diesel 4x4 ......admittedly a relatively a high polluting vehicle that has an annual VED of £315.

Both cars now have to pay a daily charge (fine) to enter London.
London is now soon to be defined as almost everywhere within the M25.
LEZ outer zone for either vehicle no charge
ULEZ inner zone for either vehicle is £15 -17.50

Birmingham CAZ both cars have to pay a daily charge of £8 to enter.

Bath and Portsmouth CAZ both cars pay no charge to enter.

I know I could buy younger so called less polluting vehicles but my decision for now is not to drive in any of these areas that have a daily charge.;)
You would nave to pay me to enter london

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The London ULEZ, is due to kick in soon, and now there is reports of not enough bus drivers, anyone driving inside the the North Circular and South circular road will be hit with an extra £12.50 if their car does not meet emission standards.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Not a fan of ULEZ charging but regardless if it was to be extended it should have been delayed.
People returning to work after furlough, and other - self employed who received little financial support. To tell a tradeperson who needs their vehicle to work that they must change now or pay £12.50 per day to go to work feels wrong. We're not just talking central London (where I'd hate to drive these days) , but a far wider area:
With covid transmission so high - avoidable public transport use for what may be essential journeys, especially for vulnerable people must be sensible. I'm thankful that for where we live in the South West, we're not affected by this but still I believe the move should have waited.
Best wishes Wayne

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts