close to calais

Apr 24, 2006
Visit site
Is there any nice sites within an hour of calais. were looking for an easy first time in france also keeping the ferry costs down. were not in the cc or ccc as yet.

websites would be really useful too.

many thanks in advance

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gary,

Last year we stayed at La Bien Assise (not spelt right) just outside calais, nice site ideal for stopover
Ask to be sited away from the road at this site and if you eat at the bar avoid the steak the lamb chops are ok.

Personally I prefer the site near St Omer (Le Chateau du Gandspette)

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I would agree La Chateau du Gandspette is a decent site with all facilities and close to the autoroute and around 30-45 mins (towing)from Calais.As it is your first time be sure to stick to he speed limits mainly for about 40mile or so of the ferry as the French men in blue are a bit hot on us Brits that transgress.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I would agree La Chateau du Gandspette is a decent site with all facilities and close to the autoroute and around 30-45 mins (towing)from Calais.As it is your first time be sure to stick to he speed limits mainly for about 40mile or so of the ferry as the French men in blue are a bit hot on us Brits that transgress.
PS if you go in your driving school car dont forget to take the 'L' plates off!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
When are you going? Chateau du Gandspette take Camping Cheques from 1 September - which will help to keep the costs down (

Apr 24, 2006
Visit site
thanks for replies.

the site is a eurocamp site i believe. yes it does look nice. is it suitable for a 10 day break? we intend doing daily visits around the north. so this would be the base camp so to speak.

why do i need to avoid the steak?

plotter no it wont be the school car i am taking. lol. but maybe i need to put the Ls on. only driven in france once before but was following someone who knew where they were going

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Gary

Website is www.chateau-gandspette.com

I have only stayed overnight it is a pleasant site in a fairly rural area,which Champion supermarket in village,and you are handy for Calais,the autoroute and the top half of France and only a stones throw from St Omer.The toilet/shower facilities are good and there is a pool and restaurant of which I have heard various comments but one mans meat....(excuse the pun).

The electric is supposed to be I think 6 amp but le patron when asked about this said 'no problem' and we had just about everything on without a problem.I would guess it would make a good base for what you want.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gary

Either La Bien Assise or Chateau Gandspette would both make a very good introduction to France for you. If you would like to see some pictures have a look at my website www.caravantravel.co.uk (sorry forgotten how to insert a link)

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gary

Either La Bien Assise or Chateau Gandspette would both make a very good introduction to France for you. If you would like to see some pictures have a look at my website www.caravantravel.co.uk (sorry forgotten how to insert a link)

David
Sorry should be www.caravantravels.co.uk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts