Clubs lack of advice.

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
In fairness sometimes what seems to be funny to some might be seen as tasteless to others!
Worse and more complex than that is it may depend on how that person is feeling at the time - I'm sure we all have, lets say "moods" that determine our view on the world.

I made this picture a few days ago and thought it was harmless humour. Some will agree but I expect others will not.

The question now is should this be posted since it will likely offend some people!

Well, here goes, judge for yourselves.

Caption from Dealer: - "All Our Caravans Come Fully Equipped"
Caravan Ready.png

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
As a matter of interest this country is not alone in having a large number of idiots who ignore warnings that are there to be followed.

I had a conversation with a Dutch friend earlier.

In Holland the Government have a system whereby they can send a message to every mobile phone in the country. They test it every 6 months to check it works.

Yesterday without warning phones everywhere sounded the alarm and the message, from the Government Crisis Team had written EXTREME EMERGENCY. Everyone return home immediately and stay there!

Like here crowds were simply ignoring the distancing rule - like here they know better!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The wife has just received a text message from the NHS, stating she is high risk, COPD. Not to go out for 12 weeks, keep 3 steps away from anyone in the house. But nothing about how to get food after we have run low.
As in the name of a Terry Pratchett book, "InterestingTimes".
Low profile folks.

Reactions: Grey13
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The learning curve on this whole episode has developed rapidly by the minute. Mr Cummings originally favoured Herding Immunity. That’s been scrapped. In fact two u turns have been made , not by the Government, but by the Scientists. Good on them. This is unchartered territory. A very steep learning curve. We must listen , follow the advice no matter how inconvenient. Better to be alive than dead. Italy lost the plot early on and have suffered . We can learn from them ad make better decisions. We are self isolating at the moment. Not that difficult . Let’s hope we are all here in six months time🙂. As my old doctor said no gain without pain.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The wife has just received a text message from the NHS, stating she is high risk, COPD. Not to go out for 12 weeks, keep 3 steps away from anyone in the house. But nothing about how to get food after we have run low.
Low profile folks.
I think that keeping the 1.5 million supported is going to be a real challenge particularly those who have no family or community connections. Someone said the army could do it. Of the 20000 troops earmarked some 10000 troops seem have been allocated to civil support roles. That makes 150 vulnerable folks per soldier. The average DHL courier makes 70-90 drops per day so it’s feasible. But the need for further clarity is required. My brother and brother in law have also received the text too. Both are single and have no family support network local to where they live in Leicester and Coventry. Our phones are going to be busy the next few days.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
In 1939 the UK faced a crisis that was potentially even more catastrophic than the one we face today. We didn't have enough aircraft or tanks to defend ourselves (now it is hospital beds, respirators, protective clothing) We faced decades of Nazi occupation and slave labour camps. Somehow we pulled together and saved ourselves.

It wasn't everyone though.

Some ignored the black out and lives were lost. Some looted the bombed houses of friends and neighbours. Some made a fortune on the black market.

After the war people reflected and remembered the actions of the selfish minority.

The behaviour of thousands behaving foolishly or selfishly yesterday across the UK, ignoring social distancing, will have cost lives.

I simply do not understand why the two major "clubs" seemingly encouraged people to use their sites until a very short time ago. Of course the cynic in me might have an idea.

People are still taking caravans and motor-homes away and almost certainly denying locals their hospital care if the worse came to the worse, not to mention their normal food supply.

"Oh, I'm stocked up", some say. well, maybe those people are part of the "I'm ok Jack brigade" who have caused such an unnecessary shortage of supermarket stocks.

Already there are acute shortages of equipment, clothing and staff in our hospitals.

I hear tonight the Prime Minister will address the Nation.

I hope he makes it clear to everyone what is required of them.

I want not only to come through this unscathed but with my conscience clear.

Please think carefully those reading this thread who are still not convinced - you are putting lives at risk.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Sunday whist cleaning the car our neigbours came over to me (2m apart) and asked what can they do for us.I did say that eggs and bread would run out first in which he went inside his house and brought out bowl of eggs and today at 0800 Maureen had a loaf of bread for us . We are over whelmed as we have only lived at this address for 4 years.

Reactions: JezzerB
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
In 1939 the UK faced a crisis that was potentially even more catastrophic than the one we face today. We didn't have enough aircraft or tanks to defend ourselves (now it is hospital beds, respirators, protective clothing) We faced decades of Nazi occupation and slave labour camps. Somehow we pulled together and saved ourselves.

It wasn't everyone though.

Some ignored the black out and lives were lost. Some looted the bombed houses of friends and neighbours. Some made a fortune on the black market.

After the war people reflected and remembered the actions of the selfish minority.

The behaviour of thousands behaving foolishly or selfishly yesterday across the UK, ignoring social distancing, will have cost lives.

I simply do not understand why the two major "clubs" seemingly encouraged people to use their sites until a very short time ago. Of course the cynic in me might have an idea.

People are still taking caravans and motor-homes away and almost certainly denying locals their hospital care if the worse came to the worse, not to mention their normal food supply.

"Oh, I'm stocked up", some say. well, maybe those people are part of the "I'm ok Jack brigade" who have caused such an unnecessary shortage of supermarket stocks.

Already there are acute shortages of equipment, clothing and staff in our hospitals.

I hear tonight the Prime Minister will address the Nation.

I hope he makes it clear to everyone what is required of them.

I want not only to come through this unscathed but with my conscience clear.

Please think carefully those reading this thread who are still not convinced - you are putting lives at risk.
We were booked in for Horsley 1st April and now CCC have now cancelled and not before time I say.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Given the recent history from elsewhere round the world where Covid-19 has taken a greater hold, I have been saddened to see how unconcerned so many UK citizens have been and who have continued selfishly as if nothing was wrong. They shouldn't need to be "told" to keep a safe distance it should have been obvious, but that's the difference between common sense and good sense.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Low profile folks.
Me too! Online bookings for deliveries like hens teeth!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Low profile folks.
I also have COPD and my wife wrapping me up in cotton wool
Trying to maintain government guidelines..

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I have to say how impressed I am with how quickly the UK government have put things in to place in such a crisis, and how quickly people are now obeying the travel and distancing rules. At least around here.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I have to say how impressed I am with how quickly the UK government have put things in to place in such a crisis, and how quickly people are now obeying the travel and distancing rules. At least around here.

And the exact opposite has been my understanding compared to the arrangements made throughout much of the world.
Did you watch Newsnight last night?
Tell those on the NHS front line they are ahead of the game and see the response you get!
Distancing "rules" are not hard to create - and for that matter there are plenty of examples to follow. Let's hope your impression is spot on.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I don’t think given the scale of the problems no one could have sorted it any quicker, there is lots of citics of the handling of helping self employed, I’m self employed so have a vested interest in this getting sorted sooner rather than later but...take a self employed person who goes out and does his job and makes £150 in a day, if he is doing things in an organised way 20% of that should be put to one side in readiness of tax liability, the last tax bill was end of January so well organised individuals should have 20% of earnings from February and March, I know that’s in a perfect world but most if not all would have something put by ready for next tax bill, the revenue have already said next tax liability payments would be looked at sympathetically and I’d guarantee that loads of self employed will get whatever Boris comes up with and so they should, they will also then expect the tax man to wait, where is all this money coming from? If the government could be sure that self employed would play fairly then a system to help those self employed would be easy, it’s far easier with employed people because the tax man can see by their PAYE what they were earning , I’m sure that lots of people on here will disagree totally and that is there right and if we all agreed then no political party would ever get things right because disagreements are what gets things changed often for the improvement of things.
I’m not posting this for any political motive or because I agree with everything that’s being done but simply to give an opinion.

STAY SAFE AND KEEP AWAY FROM OTHERS

BP
ps apologies in advance to the people I’ve probably annoyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
A 4000 bed hospital in Edexcel 10k respirators on order from Dyson, F1 teams on the case 450k volunteers for the nhs, free school meal children all getting their free meal if they need it!! Retirees back on the job realaxing MOts a support package arriving for self employed support for others-sorry so far so impressive and a VERY quick social distancing and shut down by the stds of the rest of the world! Look at New York for example. They and we are doing very well under the circumstances and the roads round us are empty!
JohnB we will have to agree to disagree!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think Boris and co have probably done the best they could have given the enormous scale of things needed, let’s be honest there are always going to be supporters of other political parties that will try to make themselves look and sound good by criticism of the tories, I’m trying to remain neutral to announcements and to me it shows Boris is doing something right or Corbyn and co would not be supporting in the main, I don’t think given the scale of the problems no one could have sorted it any quicker, there is lots of citics of the handling of helping self employed, I’m self employed so have a vested interest in this getting sorted sooner rather than later but...take a self employed person who goes out and does his job and makes £150 in a day, if he is doing things in an organised way 20% of that should be put to one side in readiness of tax liability, the last tax bill was end of January so well organised individuals should have 20% of earnings from February and March, I know that’s in a perfect world but most if not all would have something put by ready for next tax bill, the revenue have already said next tax liability payments would be looked at sympathetically and I’d guarantee that loads of self employed will get whatever Boris comes up with and so they should, they will also then expect the tax man to wait, where is all this money coming from? If the government could be sure that self employed would play fairly then a system to help those self employed would be easy, it’s far easier with employed people because the tax man can see by their PAYE what they were earning , I’m sure that lots of people on here will disagree totally and that is there right and if we all agreed then no political party would ever get things right because disagreements are what gets things changed often for the improvement of things.
I’m not posting this for any political motive or because I agree with everything that’s being done but simply to give an opinion.

STAY SAFE AND KEEP AWAY FROM OTHERS

BP
ps apologies in advance to the people I’ve probably annoyed.
Thank you for a dose of refreshing honesty. My daughters ex husband went self- employed mainly to avoid maintenance. All his time was spent effectively working as a sub contractor to a 5g installation company. He gets no income other than the dividends paid through his single man company. The IR got wise to him considering him not to be genuinely self employed. But it’s a slow old grind as he’s now got court orders, large maintenance debts etc. I hear that the sub contracts have now dropped off. Do I feel any sympathy for him. No he can either claim UC or go back on the lorries and do something useful like deliver supplies. But he wouldn’t do that as it would draw an attachment of earnings deduction.

PS No apology required for your post.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB and Beehpee

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If anything, my criticism is the government was sleep walking from the time that the ease of spread and high mortality rate of this new strain of virus was becoming apparent.

I suppose, all governments have taken their eye off this element of civil defence since the generations forgot the ravages of the Spanish flu and had as it seems very little strategic planning in place for what is historically an inevitable risk. Down to a money vs risk gamble.

Reactions: Johnb and Beehpee

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't want to prevent anyone from discussing this current situation but please don't make references to political parties.
There are several threads running in which aspects of Covid 19 and self isolation are under discussion, and because it's natural and cathartic for an online community to discuss the unprecedented situation that has befallen us we've been fairly relaxed about forum rules which advise us to stick to core subjects centered around caravanning.
We don't want to stray too far into the political arena however, and for this reason I've edied a recent post.
This thread started off about the response to the crisis from both clubs and I doubt if either BJ or JC are members of either. 😉

Reactions: Grey13 and JezzerB
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Parksy, sorry for the reference to political parties, i shall be more careful, in more normal times I’ve not much, either good or bad, to say or write about on the subject of politics or politicians, as my late dad used to say “never get into discussions with people about politics or religion“ good advice.
BP

Reactions: JezzerB and Parksy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Parksy, sorry for the reference to political parties, i shall be more careful, in more normal times I’ve not much, either good or bad, to say or write about on the subject of politics or politicians, as my late dad used to say “never get into discussions with people about politics or religion“ good advice.
BP
No problem Beehpee, these are strange times we're living in 🙂

TRENDING THREADS