clumber park,ccc

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Been a caravanner for several years, most of it very enjoyable but recent experiences have made wonder if a weekend away is value for money.You work on a Friday and can't arrive till after tea and are then told on Sunday point blank by the manager that you must vacate the pitch before 12 noon.In my opinion I find this very unreasonable as only one or two caravans were remaining. Surely the managers could be more flexible for weekenders. What do you think.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. My wife and I have stopped going away for weekends 'cos what with having to go and get the 'van out of storage, getting it packed up then getting to your site and setting up it's just not worth it for amounts to a day and a half.

A good weekend package, especially at this time of the year, would be from lunchtime Friday to lunchtime Monday-that might just be worth all the hassle.

Vic

nor

Dec 21, 2003
Visit site
i know what you mean and how you feel. but i think they just have to cash in on us poor people who are working.

i usually pay for an extra night when on a site not too far from home. then i can stay as late as i like, this is worth it in low season as its not so expensive.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Can I suggest that you make your complaint to the Caravan Club as your complaint about the wardens at this site is certainly not the first. Their attitude is very unususual but simply not necessary and it seems that they have upset quite a few caravaners. There is no excuse for being rude at any time. If they are not up to the job then let me have a go. I would love to but the queue is very long.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
AJ, lots of sites have now found a nice little earner in charging you half the nightly fee to remain on Sunday until 6pm.You were 'lucky' that you could stay till noon, lots of sites it is 10am.

The problem is that lots of sites are run for their convinience and not the caravanner. It is fairly obvious that there is a demand for pitches from Friday evening until Sunday late afternoon. I realise that this may not be possible in peak periods, at popular sites, but at other times as in your case, I cannot see any problem. Welcome to the world of the British service industry!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi AJ.

Good point about weekend caravanning on the c.c.c sites,as Vic Wildish say's it amounts to one & a half days when in fact you pay for two whole days and at the high season this is expensive caravanning.

On a recent visit to Clumber Park c.c.c we also were told in no uncertain terms to leave by 12noon on the Sunday, and again the site was almost empty even the none electric pitches had been vacated,the managers obviously do not understand the definition of the word friendly,which is promoted by the club,they were extremely uncooperative.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I am a little confused at the way pitches are priced, is it one night plus the following day - the day you arrive plus one night - or midday on arrival to midday on departure. Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
AJ

Have you ever thought about trying temporary holiday sites,these are run by c.c.c members all over the country who give their time freely you can arrive Friday evening and depart Sunday evening giving a full weekend

with like minded people.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have to disagree with most of these replies - most CC & CCC sites we visit put a sign up advising the required leaving time - and if the site isn't full it's late afternoon. And if we want to stay late we book an extra night and leave in the evening.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We always stay at CC sites and if I want to stay after 12 noon I always ask the warden in advance and usually we get an extra couple of hours. If the site is fully booked I would expect to leave at 12 and would be quite happy to do so. I would not be happy if I arrived at a site at midday to find I had no pitch because people would not leave. The pitch fee runs from midday on the day of arrival to midday on the day of departure. If you can't arrive untill late it is not the site operators fault so don't moan at them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This has long been a bone of contention for us. Although the CCC handbook states that if a site is not full, the stay may be extended up to 5.00 pm, with discretionary payment of an additional fee, in 16 years of membership, we have NEVER been given permission to stay beyond three o'clock, even when a site is half empty, and we have offered to make any necessary additional payment. This 3.00 pm leaving time was ranted on one solitary occasion, when the assistant warden was in charge, and the manager (or 'Old Dragon', as we came to know her), was absent. Moreover, we have been regularly told that sites are 'very busy', then arrived to find less than half the pitches occupied, or equally, arrived to find 'advance booking only' signs erected at the gate, when there were in facts loads of empty pitches (as at these times we have had reservations, we have been able to note how few of the vacant spaces were actually occupied in the space of a weekend. Club members of the UK unite, you have nothing to lose but bad-tempered and unhelpful site wardens!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This has been our first year as CC members,our first site visited was clumber Park and both pairs of wardens were really nice! They even let us stay a few hours longer than 12 O'clock. Perhaps we caught them on an off day!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is an interesting post and applies to most of the popular CC sites. We stayed at Rowntree Park last weekend and had to be off the site by 11.15am on the Sunday morning. This effectively meant that our weekend away finished on Saturday night as by the time we had got up on Sunday and packed away it was time to go. We were with two other couples and their children and we have all said we would not bother with this site again due to this problem.

Having said this I can understand why the changeover time is enforced as we had a significant problem on Sunday getting out of the site as people were already arriving and the access is very tight.

What I can't understand is why it is 12pm. Surely it would be more sensible to be 4pm as the changeover time. This would give those clearing out on any day time to enjoy the morning and pack up at their leisure, and those arriving plenty of time to set up in the evening.

If the clubs want to appeal to working families for weekend breaks this would seem to be a more sensible changeover time than the 12 oclock currently imposed. I don't need to arrive any earlier than 4pm on Friday (assuming I have the afternoon off to get the 'van and get on my way, pick the kids up from school etc.) but I don't want to leave any earlier than 2 or 3 on a Sunday.

Perhaps we should all make this suggestion to the clubs?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi AJ, I do not understand why clubs insist on a set time to leave. Most of the club sites we have visited issue a till receipt as you pay. If this shows the time of payment[arrival] why could they not allow 24 ours from time of arrival. Receipts could be checked by the wardens and departure times recorded in the reception office. It may even help the congestion on most sites as people rush to leave before noon.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why not stop giving yourself stress and pay for an extra night, not much extra at this time of year, and then you could leave feeling relaxed at Sunday teatime. Everyone knows they are supposed to leave by lunchtime, where are the Wardens supposed to draw the line, if they start letting some peopel do it then everyone will ask for the same deal, could get a bit chaotic.

An even better idea, use CLs, the ones we have used have been brilliant and much cheaper than the bigger sites, and more flexible in their leaving times.

Best wishes

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Been a member of the CC for several years and have never yet been refused a couple of extra hours on site except on busy sites were it has been obvious that they would want you off early. Always found a polite request has been returned with a polite response. Have also met a couple of jobsworth wardens in my time and have told them to their face that they are a disgrace to the club, but thankfully that has only been 2 out of well over 100 site visits.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I am returning to caravaning after a 16 year break. Is there not a questionaire handed out to visitors to club sites along the lines of the one's in hotels? How did we do?, kind of thing. This may make 'regime' wardens a thing of the past.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts