Coachman 560 VIP french bed issue.

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
Hi all, our Coachman french bed has a single gas strut fitted at the headboard end but we soon discovered that it could not hold the weight of the bed whilst open. Our dealer sent a new gas strut for me to fit but that one also is not man enough. Has anyone else had this issue on a Coachman or other manufacturer?
Many thanks. ST.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, our Coachman french bed has a single gas strut fitted at the headboard end but we soon discovered that it could not hold the weight of the bed whilst open. Our dealer sent a new gas strut for me to fit but that one also is not man enough. Has anyone else had this issue on a Coachman or other manufacturer?
Many thanks. ST.
yes a Bailey

Reactions: Slowtow
Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
Never yet had any that hold the bed up unless there’s no mattress or bedding. We use a piece of timber as a prop
Yes this is my cheap solution too.
We didn't have this problem with our previous Swift Challenger that we owned for many years but I cannot remember if it had two gas struts; one at either end?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The strut will hold the bed up without bedding on it, add extra weight (duvet etc) and they struggle.
If they made them more powerful the bed would be constantly up unless there was something on top of it :rolleyes:

Reactions: Slowtow
Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
If they made them more powerful the bed would be constantly up unless there was something on top of it.
Only if it was designed by a child. When closed the strut should be almost parallel to the bed, meaning the lift force it can generate is tiny. The user should be required to lift it a little before the vertical forces are big enough to provide lift. Of course too much force and the bed starts to bend when trying to close it which would be a problem.

The one on our bed will hold up a fully made bed duvets pillows et al, it does struggle when I load it up with other stuff though :) It also has two struts mind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts