Cobb barbecue

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Kalahari Bushmen swear by them; but as for their cooking performance I can't say! The Cobb, not the Bushmen that is. On the Lakeland site it shows one, but with two burgers almost filling the hot plate BBQs could be leisurely and intimate affairs.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
"Another 4 kg." :(
That's just the steak! :eek:hmy:

Steak.jpg

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
We had one for best part of 10 years before moving to a Cadac.

Plus points
Fairly small in comparison to the Cadac
There's not much you can't cook on them, Stews, roasted a whole chicken, small leg of lamb, jacket potatoes, pizza, bread.
You're not tied to a gas bottle or the outlet on the side of your van

Minus points
It's NOT a BBQ so don't expect BBQ flavour as the contents never comes in to direct contact with the flames/heat from the charcoal or stone.
The normal size was a bit on the cramped side for a hungry family of 3
It's more of a pain to clean than a Cadac
The cobblestones were getting more inconsistent in how easily they were to light; they were also expensive.
Regular size cobblestones lasted far too long to do a simple fry up or a few burgers/sausages; wasted heat

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for the helpful replies, especially Andy and Clive.
As for the unhelpful replies............
:cheer:
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We looked at the Cobb but decided to get the Weber Smoky Joe which fits inside the front locker. We also have the funnel for it so the charcoal fires up a lot quicker using only one or two pieces of firelighters.

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I am South African, well ex Saffa and that is the best credentials for braai! i travelled with my camper and Cob through Poland recently and used it extensively: one need only 8 briquettes- (it's compressed burned wood) for braaiing (we believe BarBque is the que at the barber and do not use that terrible american word) a whole chicken. Agree to braai a few pieces of steak or chops it is a bit of an overkill. Do not use their "stones" -it is expensive and last too long, as said by the above. It works well as an adjuvant and do more than what a Cadac will do- especially stuff that one will put in the oven. To give the food a woodflavour one can add some oakchips, as you do with a Weber. To me it is a must have. If you are too lazy to clean it, send the lady- she also need to do something, after all.

TRENDING THREADS