Collecting a new van

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Martin24 said:
KS,No a retractable one is not an option on the Sprinter. Will be factory fitted though.
Have to say though there's a whole heap of electrics to be done to the car anyway before I get it. Well I say before I get it, I haven't had the final go ahead from the boss yet. Although we have agreed on colour.

I wouldn't have one anyway, never have done. I like a little reversing protection when swmbo is parking :)

WC/Hutch, you still haven't told me why I haven't had a problem with my set up in 15 years. ;)

If you do go for the factory fit do make sure that it is compatible with the ALKO hitch and that means specifying it on the order. If you want the factory fit electrics you also need to specify the additional wiring needed for the caravan as if not you can get the minimum EU standards which is all you are ordering.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
KeefySher said:
Leave your rose tinted glasses at home before you set off to [strike]collect[/strike] inspect your new caravan, and replace with a fine tooth comb. Don't let your excitement blur your vision and touch as you check every locker catch that they operate several times, door edge isn't peeling off, cushions are correct for the caravan model, switches for cracks, alignment of cupboard doors, connection of cables and pipes and hoses.

The build standard of new caravans appears to be declining, although the aesthetics are becoming flashier and shinier, don't be dazzled :p :p You the customer are in effect the Quality Inspector despite paying for a PDI.

You have a nearly 1 in four chance of getting a caravan with faults according to recent surveys here and by the CC / camc / wotever. We are one of those buyers of a flagship £25k + poorly thrown together pile of common poor quality parts masquerading as a caravan; you may not be :p Our problems manifested themselves after a year of ownership apart from the wrong cushions and unfixed window blind we found on our first pre PDI checks.

Its a funny old game this caravanning lark :p

Ooooh, that is a worry, I will definitely have my glasses on when checking now, I know that we would probably be as you said 'looking through rose tinted glasses and getting swept away by the excitement" but now I will be on my guard :eek:hmy: thank you :)

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Raywood said:
Eldiss group caravans do seem to be some of the best designed on the market but as said earlier do not let this blind you to any possible faults. Check everything carefully and do not leave the dealers until you are completely happy.
If you have not towed before have a look on u tube as there are several good videos on there covering this, hitching and the like which are well worth watching.
Once oin the road take it easy until you get the hang of it. The caravan does cut in a bit on slow bends so be aware of this and take them a bit wider.

Thank you, I have been trudging through all the You Tube videos I can fine :lol: I have towed a horse box back in the mists of time :) but I did take a one2one lesson last week for an afternoon with a Towing examiner for a refresher ;) so fingers crossed :huh: :)

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
JanBn. Another last point, I was taking a caravan into the dealers for a friend, and noticed a chap with a Sante Fe , same as mine, coming out of the dealer, his tow ball was the standard tow ball , NOT the Alko one , as he was about to hook up to the caravan with the Alko hitch. I pointed this out. He was oblivious tomthis and said, that is what the car dealer fitted. I tried to explain the differences but was ignored. And the caravan dealer in Rushden let him drive away. . Alko hitch =Alko towball.

Oh, now this is a new one on me :huh: I have just had a Westafalia removable swan neck tow hitch fitted and my caravan has a AL-KO chassis with a AKS 3004 stabiliser fitted... I hope this is the right combination, didn't realise there was a difference :eek:hmy:

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Martin, that gives you the clearence between the hitch and the bumper / car but it doesnt give the Alko hitch "at it 's maximum angles" of pitching or yawing, left and right. The deeper neck on the Alko tow ball does,this, thenSwan neck type of tow ball is .not affected. Some one will come up with a diagram please.

Just replied to your first comment on the hitch and have just read this one, does that mean my swan neck westfalia is ok? Also I read somewhere you are suppose to clean the surface with an emery cloth to take the paint away before using it, is this correct and someone else told me it's not necessary, though I can imagine the paint dust wearing and clogging up the pads on the stabiliser if its not cleaned :blush:

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Al-ko%20Towball_zpszomlfcjv.jpg

50mm Towball approved to EC94/20
Extended neck for Al-Ko stabilisers
D: 17kn
S: 120kg

Martin
The extended neck is essential for a safe hitch connection especially in the turn and pitch :kiss:
NB. The black paint on the towball area must be removed prior to use.

Ah the answer to the black paint query has just been answered...thank you,

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
Martin24 said:
KS,No a retractable one is not an option on the Sprinter. Will be factory fitted though.
Have to say though there's a whole heap of electrics to be done to the car anyway before I get it. Well I say before I get it, I haven't had the final go ahead from the boss yet. Although we have agreed on colour.

I wouldn't have one anyway, never have done. I like a little reversing protection when swmbo is parking :)

WC/Hutch, you still haven't told me why I haven't had a problem with my set up in 15 years. ;)

If you do go for the factory fit do make sure that it is compatible with the ALKO hitch and that means specifying it on the order. If you want the factory fit electrics you also need to specify the additional wiring needed for the caravan as if not you can get the minimum EU standards which is all you are ordering.

Next job to add that ball to the spec. Had already stated on the spec to be wired for caravan.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Martin, if Brilliant Blue is available, check it out. My new tug is a GLE 350 AMG Line in Brilliant Blue, simply stunning. :p :p

The Black / porcelain interior sets it off too.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The blue Jenny wanted is only available on the little van :) .
The other metallic blue is too similar to what we've got :(
Not a great selection on the vans really. Don't want red, white or brown.

We saw one in the Aqua green yesterday and rather liked that. Not metallic so that would save £645 :cheer:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
JanBn said:
Dustydog said:

Martin
The extended neck is essential for a safe hitch connection especially in the turn and pitch :kiss:

When you have cleaned the black paint from the towball a handy thing to have is a can of brake cleaner
A quick squirt on the towball every time before hitching up gets rid of road grime that can collect and cause your hitch to make squeaking noises from time to time.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
IMG_2464_zps904ad191.jpg

Compare the two types, the one on the left is the Alko and the one on the right is a normal one.
The alko one cleaned up should look like the one on the right.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Back to the main theme.
The dealer should be prepared to give you a list of the items he will check during the PDI ( and for which you are paying a hefty sum ) I would be worried if he refused to do this - it could be there is a standard pro forma as used for serviicing at Approved Workshops. Anyone know ?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We found tne PDI form in tbe literature supplied with our caravan. It is basically a tick box form which the dealer is supposed to complete as they work their way round the caravan. It is difficult to show none was done on our caravan but I doubt it but nothing on the form showed up as a fault so I just have to live with my suspicions.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Parksy said:
JanBn said:
Dustydog said:

Martin

When you have cleaned the black paint from the towball a handy thing to have is a can of brake cleaner
A quick squirt on the towball every time before hitching up gets rid of road grime that can collect and cause your hitch to make squeaking noises from time to time.

Thank you, have just added brake cleaner to my ever increasing list :lol:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Brake cleaner lasts for ages and is one of the least expensive caravan related purchases.
Generally speaking, anything with the word 'caravan' on the label will have a premium price :(
I always check shops such as Wilkinson, Asda, Tescos etc for everyday items to use with the caravan, you can pay over the odds at caravan accessory shops for crockery, utensils, electrical items......

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Parksy said:
Brake cleaner lasts for ages and is one of the least expensive caravan related purchases.
Generally speaking, anything with the word 'caravan' on the label will have a premium price :(
I always check shops such as Wilkinson, Asda, Tescos etc for everyday items to use with the caravan, you can pay over the odds at caravan accessory shops for crockery, utensils, electrical items......

How true!

In the model flying world....just adding "Model Aircraft" to the product seems to increase the price, PVA glue being a prime example!.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
PHOENIXFLIER said:
Parksy said:

How true!

In the model flying world....just adding "Model Aircraft" to the product seems to increase the price, PVA glue being a prime example!.
Beware of the 'Man Tax'. :unsure:
Almost any item that would be bought by a man can attract the man tax, even in supermarkets.
Microfiber cloths can be bought at 4 for a quid, but a microfiber CAR cloth? £2 each :woohoo:

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
My advice, being about 2 weeks ahead of you collecting our first caravan , get your cheque book ready. Now the real spending starts as you start buying all the stuff you never knew you needed! :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
CluelessNewbies said:
My advice, being about 2 weeks ahead of you collecting our first caravan , get your cheque book ready. Now the real spending starts as you start buying all the stuff you never knew you needed! :)
I am afraid it is too late now but many dealers will throw in all or part of the kit needed to get the sale and if this is not possible you should always get a decent discount on purchases from them or a cheap starter kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts