Collecting a new van

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi All
D Day is fast approaching and we will be travelling next week to collect our new Compass Camino 550 from the dealer. Wondered if there are any hints and tips anyone can give us as to what we should look for or ask when doing handover. We are complete novices and although we will video the handover information, any advice will be gratefully received. We have booked to stay for 4 nights on a site near by in case we find anything not working as it should :dry: because although it is brand new.... that is not always a guarantee :S cheers!!

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Certainly looks like a nice caravan - best wishes for the future - ensure all relevant documentation is present for the fitments in the caravan - user manuals for everything - cris documents duly registered - ascertain the owners obligations for the so called 10 year water ingress warranty - visually inspect the exterior for any dings or paint blemishes - retain receipts for all supplementary purchases - perhaps ask where the gas and electric switches isolaters are - ask about recommended tyre pressures - let the seller know you may revisit them within four or five days to remedy any teething problems - that way they cannot wriggle out of sorting any relevant issues - hopefully nothing transpires and you can enjoy your new purchase for years to come

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Make sure that you go through and inspect absolutely everything with a fine tooth comb and ensure you are happy with everything! Do not accept the likes of "that's how they come" for anything. The slightest niggle get it sorted there and then.

Do not under any circumstances be rushed it's easier to get things sorted on the day or to refuse to take the van until anything is 100%

Do not pay penny until 100% satisfied with all equipment and fit and finish. Inspection first.

Ensure that all appliances are working as they should, have the fridge running on gas and electric, the same with the heating and hot water. Check all the lights, microwave, oven and hob. Literally every little detail however long it takes and however frustrated the dealer gets. If the dealer isn't prepared to make this possible for you then walk away there and then until they are. Water, gas and electric all need checking before you head off.

If there is anything in the handover you don't understand or are unsure about ask for further clarification or further demonstration.

I'm sorry for this sounding a tad negative but you are paying for a caravan and dealers generally try and get away with what they can and manufacturers of nearly all marques have a pretty poor reputation when it comes to build quality.

Time spent on handover can save a lot more time and hassle later down the line.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Thank you Thosoneill and Martin24, great tips.... I'm going to make a list on a note pad I am taking with me so I remember to ask these things. This is where I wish I knew someone knowledgeable, unfortunately we are the only ones we know about to own a van and so this is all completely new to us and are reliant on honest dealers :dry: but any advice like this is invaluable. :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There should be a plastic step, a water container and an electric hook up lead with the caravan, you'll need to buy your leisure battery on a brand new caravan.
Apart from the good advice already offered about the handover, check the wall panelling for dings and scratches or even grubby finger marks of the fitters, especially near to curtains. I was almost caught out when we bought our first new caravan.
It would be worthwhile asking for a caravan number plate to match your tow vehicle before taking to the road.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Parksy said:
There should be a plastic step, a water container and an electric hook up lead with the caravan, you'll need to buy your leisure battery on a brand new caravan.
Apart from the good advice already offered about the handover, check the wall panelling for dings and scratches or even grubby finger marks of the fitters, especially near to curtains. I was almost caught out when we bought our first new caravan.
It would be worthwhile asking for a caravan number plate to match your tow vehicle before taking to the road.

Thank you, The dealer said there are steps, water/waste containers and mains lead incorporated and luckily they've even included the leisure battery, gas cylinder and number plate and I even managed to negotiate a PowrTouch Evolution motor mover to go with it :woohoo: .....will definitely take your advice about checking paint work and check for 'grubby finger prints' :lol: I do not want any of those ;)

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
inevitably there will be a few 'grubby' fingerprints.....we found them on our last two new vans in some very unusual places (such as on the ceiling panels!!!!), but bearing in mind caravans are constructed in a unique way....probably not that strange.....enjoy..... :)

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Leave your rose tinted glasses at home before you set off to [strike]collect[/strike] inspect your new caravan, and replace with a fine tooth comb. Don't let your excitement blur your vision and touch as you check every locker catch that they operate several times, door edge isn't peeling off, cushions are correct for the caravan model, switches for cracks, alignment of cupboard doors, connection of cables and pipes and hoses.

The build standard of new caravans appears to be declining, although the aesthetics are becoming flashier and shinier, don't be dazzled :p :p You the customer are in effect the Quality Inspector despite paying for a PDI.

You have a nearly 1 in four chance of getting a caravan with faults according to recent surveys here and by the CC / camc / wotever. We are one of those buyers of a flagship £25k + poorly thrown together pile of common poor quality parts masquerading as a caravan; you may not be :p Our problems manifested themselves after a year of ownership apart from the wrong cushions and unfixed window blind we found on our first pre PDI checks.

Its a funny old game this caravanning lark :p

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
00buzz said:
inevitably there will be a few 'grubby' fingerprints.....we found them on our last two new vans in some very unusual places (such as on the ceiling panels!!!!), but bearing in mind caravans are constructed in a unique way....probably not that strange.....enjoy..... :)
The caravan is supposed to be checked before it leaves the manufacturer and​the dealership are supposed to carry out a comprehensive pre-delivery inspection before the caravan is handed over to the customer.
If both inspections missed silly things like fingermarks what else did they miss or not bother to sort out?
Well done for negotiating a good deal with the extras but accept nothing less than perfection, that's what you have paid for ;)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Eldiss group caravans do seem to be some of the best designed on the market but as said earlier do not let this blind you to any possible faults. Check everything carefully and do not leave the dealers until you are completely happy.
If you have not towed before have a look on u tube as there are several good videos on there covering this, hitching and the like which are well worth watching.
Once oin the road take it easy until you get the hang of it. The caravan does cut in a bit on slow bends so be aware of this and take them a bit wider.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
JanBn. Another last point, I was taking a caravan into the dealers for a friend, and noticed a chap with a Sante Fe , same as mine, coming out of the dealer, his tow ball was the standard tow ball , NOT the Alko one , as he was about to hook up to the caravan with the Alko hitch. I pointed this out. He was oblivious tomthis and said, that is what the car dealer fitted. I tried to explain the differences but was ignored. And the caravan dealer in Rushden let him drive away. . Alko hitch =Alko towball.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Except Hutch, I've never had an AlKo ball. :whistle: A 50 mm ball is a 50 mm ball. I have however always had a 2" spacer to give the clearance required for the AlKo hitch. :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Martin, that gives you the clearence between the hitch and the bumper / car but it doesnt give the Alko hitch "at it 's maximum angles" of pitching or yawing, left and right. The deeper neck on the Alko tow ball does,this, thenSwan neck type of tow ball is .not affected. Some one will come up with a diagram please.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Al-ko%20Towball_zpszomlfcjv.jpg

50mm Towball approved to EC94/20
Extended neck for Al-Ko stabilisers
D: 17kn
S: 120kg

Martin
The extended neck is essential for a safe hitch connection especially in the turn and pitch :kiss:
NB. The black paint on the towball area must be removed prior to use.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Tight? I won't be able to afford a new ball. :( We're even going to have to go non metallic.

How come I've not had any issues in the past 15 years of AlKo heads?

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Martin does your new tug not come with the factory fitted electric tow bar that deploys at the touch of a button either in the tailgate and/or drivers door? Well worth getting when the bus is built in the factory. It has the AlKo head, plus an in built 13 pin plug and clip loop. Far better value than an aftermarket one, with no risks on messing with electronics on the car.

This is the one on my new tug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUvSKIyTtuA

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
KS,No a retractable one is not an option on the Sprinter. Will be factory fitted though.
Have to say though there's a whole heap of electrics to be done to the car anyway before I get it. Well I say before I get it, I haven't had the final go ahead from the boss yet. Although we have agreed on colour.

I wouldn't have one anyway, never have done. I like a little reversing protection when swmbo is parking :)

WC/Hutch, you still haven't told me why I haven't had a problem with my set up in 15 years. ;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Martin24 said:
WC/Hutch, you still haven't told me why I haven't had a problem with my set up in 15 years. ;)

Luck ! :p
Martin,
I'd say very lucky :whistle:
The Al-Ko ball has an extended reach and neck to allow the stabiliser hitch head to grip properly. You must not use a standard towball as this is unsafe and in the event of an accident it may invalidate your insurance.
What can happen in certain circumstances is that the hitch may foul on the shorter neck causing damage to the hitch itself or worse a potential detachment. If you compare the standard and extended balls you will see there are some very marked differences. The extended ball allows the hitch to grip the ball throughout all 3 dimensions. Not so with the standard ball.

Martin,
You have to ask yourself why would a firm like Al-ko spend thousands designing a "fit for purpose" ball :kiss:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts