Comparison?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is just the two of us but may be grandchild in future.
How prophetic. We’ve been taking ours for nearly 26 years. Oldest now 28, youngest coming in 16 years. A boyfriend now has more attraction to the youngest, so she bailed out of last summers trips. But has recently started asking if we can take her when things ease off.

• Haha
Reactions: Cammy
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Joined here last July Ray to try and narrow down what may be a good option but I am not sure I am any further forward.:)
I think the only thing I am set on is it has to be at least a 4 berth for the space and likely to be a Bailey, swift or eldiss and probably a new van. I think.:unsure:
At the end of the day there is not a lot of difference between makes and most of us probably end up with the make that looks right for us. Getting the right layout is what counts most as it has to fit in with your way of using it.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
The 6 berth 860 may be an overkill unless you are expecting loads more grandchildren. LOL!
Maybe but in my head the attraction is the fixed bed, no making up, out of bed, breakfast at the side dinette where the table is up then into the lounge, no table up and down either.
Current grandchild, 3 , does seem desperate for a sister.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
At the end of the day there is not a lot of difference between makes and most of us probably end up with the make that looks right for us. Getting the right layout is what counts most as it has to fit in with your way of using it.
Yep, got a wee bit to wait to get in some, too much online research going on, no substitute for getting in the specific vans.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Maybe but in my head the attraction is the fixed bed, no making up, out of bed, breakfast at the side dinette where the table is up then into the lounge, no table up and down either.
Current grandchild, 3 , does seem desperate for a sister.
Apologies I got mixed up with the 840 and 860. The 840 is the 6 berth. The problem with the French or side bed is if the person nearest the window gets up during the night they are going to disturb the other person. Also the bed is a bit of a hassle to make up on the side nearest the caravan wall.
Having the side dinette is handy however there is a slide out on top of the chest of drawers in front and we pull it out and use that very time when having a meal. There is enough room for the two of us us to have our meals and also have the TV on top of it. If you have the grand child with you, then there is a pull out table that you can use. Works for us. :)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Apologies I got mixed up with the 840 and 860. The 840 is the 6 berth. The problem with the French or side bed is if the person nearest the window gets up during the night they are going to disturb the other person. Also the bed is a bit of a hassle to make up on the side nearest the caravan wall.
Having the side dinette is handy however there is a slide out on top of the chest of drawers in front and we pull it out and use that very time when having a meal. There is enough room for the two of us us to have our meals and also have the TV on top of it. If you have the grand child with you, then there is a pull out table that you can use. Works for us. :)
Yep, that was my concern about the "french" bed, why french? which is why it might end up out of the running and the 860 in the running.
All helpful observations, thank you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Prof., yep probably a difficult one to answer. They are both the entry level ranges in those lines albeit the 8' wide options so do end up in a similar price bracket and as Jezzer said it will likely come down to fit and finish once we can get inside some.
Past experience suggests the difference between entry and top price models for any manufacture is more about colour schemes or how much stuff they put in the caravan, rather then any meaningful difference in the inherent quality. In many cases its exactly the same appliances and construction techniques used, perhaps with some marketing embellishment rather than fundamental engineering refinement.

The truly annoying aspect of this is how two consecutive caravans of the same model coming of the same production line, where one is virtually perfect and lasts for years without any significant issues. This proves the design is basically ok, yet the second one can be an owners nightmare.

I hop you get lucky and get one of the better ones.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The advantage of the French bed or as I prefer the side bed is the room it takes up. This being the most compact means you either get a shorter lighter caravan or a bit more room elsewhere. It is a bind though if the person next to the wall gets up in the night. No idea why French.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
WE had a side bed/ French-as they say-as above no idea why and I prefer the side bit -far better description-and I don't want anything French at the mo! It was a Bailey PEgasus Verona and I was the inner wall sleeper due longer legs-but could slide out the bottom of the bed without distrubing swmbo or the dog!

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
WE had a side bed/ French-as they say-as above no idea why and I prefer the side bit -far better description-and I don't want anything French at the mo! It was a Bailey PEgasus Verona and I was the inner wall sleeper due longer legs-but could slide out the bottom of the bed without distrubing swmbo or the dog!
Was it the ninja training? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Well, yesterday we went and had a look and I am not sure if it helped or made things worse.
I will post a bit more later when I have got my thoughts in order, going fishing just now to calm the mind.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, yesterday we went and had a look and I am not sure if it helped or made things worse.
I will post a bit more later when I have got my thoughts in order, going fishing just now to calm the mind.
Cammy Have a nice time fishing that a very relaxing sport

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts