confused about towing weights

Oct 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I have a shogun sport 2.5td an i am confused as to what i can tow with it. kerbweight 1840kg, 85%=1564kg, ballweight 115kg, max towing weight 2800kg.

I currently tow a bailey renger 6 berth but i want to buy an elddis superstorm twin axle miro=1619kg, mtplm=1900kg, would my car tow this caravan also whatis meant by maximum towing weight of 2800kg?

many thanks

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Max tow weight = 2800kgs

MTPLM of Caravan = 1900kgs

So Yes your car can tow the new caravan, the 85% rule is for guidance and is a recommend limit by various bodies, but it is not the law. The 2800kgs max towing weight is what the car manufacturer states that the car is capable of pulling.

115kg ball weight or nose weight is the max weight that your caravan can push down on the tow hitch of the car, but check because for example if you have an ALKO Stabiliser fitted to your caravan, then you can only have a nose weight of 100kgs

Hope this helps

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I have to disagree slightly with inference made by William. Whilst he is correct with all of the technicalities I am not aware af any Caravnning organisation that believes it is safe to tow a caravan that is heavier than the kerb weight of the tow car. I know there are those in the forum who will quote what happens abroad, but in this country, with our motorway speeds a 1:1 ratio is seen as the absolute maximum for stable towing, and at that it is assuming an expereinced tower and all other factors in your favour (ie loading, tyre pressures etc. etc.).

I would personally go for a heavier tow car (I have the Compass equivalent van and tow with a vehicle of 2.2 tonnes kerb weight)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Whilst I would agree that a weight ratio between 85% and 100% is acceptable if you take appropriate care, don't forget that this calculation is based on an empty car towing a fully laden caravan. However, in most cases, this is not a realistic condition, so the actual weight ratio will be be much more favourable. Therefore, if the car has a relatively high payload and this is used to the full, it may be justifiable to go a fraction higher than 100%, based on kerbweight, so long as it's still within the manufacturer's specification.

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
i had a shogun sport and it strugeld to pull 1650kg was ok on the flat but no good on hills i have now got 3.2shogun and what a dream it is it just keeps on pulling the max tow is for farmers in low box not on roads well thats my appinan

TRENDING THREADS