Confused by weights information

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Sorry -

Bit of a thickie really (and being a woman!) but what is the difference between the braked weight (1500)and non braked weight (600) of the Honda CR-V. The kerb weght is 1526 min so I know what that means. I really like the car and am considering getting a second hand one. I am currently trying to persuade my partner who wants to know all the technical details and if it will pull our van. We only have a very small van and we are well within the 85% parameter but I would like to upgrade the van for something a little bigger perhaps over the next year or so. Having been stuck on many a field this year with our front wheel drive (lightweight)Toyota will this do the job??

Thank in advance of your replies - and help me convince my other half!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
non braked weight means that if you are towing atrailer that has not got brakes fitted to it then that is deemed the amount you are allowed to tow unbraked(600kgs)braked is as what it says exactly the opposite of the other.sometimes the towing manufacturers towing limit is higher than the kerbweight of the car,so you are only allowed to tow the kerbweight,sometimes its the other way round the manufacturer may say towing limit 1300kgs,kerbweight might be 1400kgs,so now you can only tow the manufactures towing limit 1300kgs

http://www.whattowcar.com/

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Your response regarding what braked weight you may tow is misleading, klarky. There is no law which states that you may not tow more than the kerbweight of the car. It is always the car manufacturer's maximum permissible towload which is of legal significance. Whether it's advisable to go so high, though, is quite another question. The only other limit to what you may tow is your driving licence. If you passed your test after the 1st January 1997 you may not tow more than the kerbweight of the car unless you have a B+E licence.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Susan, your caravan is 'braked' that is it has brakes that are rod operated and are activated by the caravan catching up with the car when the car is braking. There is a damper fitted in the tow hitch which prevents the van bumping the car up the back and prevents the van brakes coming on under gentle slowing down.

I have a 2002 CRV and tow a van with MPTLM of 1350 kg with no problems. It is a competent, rather than sparkling, tow car but very reliable. The main drawback is it has a noseweight limit of 60kg for the 2002 -2004 model that has been raised to 100kg from 2005.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your response regarding what braked weight you may tow is misleading, klarky. There is no law which states that you may not tow more than the kerbweight of the car. It is always the car manufacturer's maximum permissible towload which is of legal significance. Whether it's advisable to go so high, though, is quite another question. The only other limit to what you may tow is your driving licence. If you passed your test after the 1st January 1997 you may not tow more than the kerbweight of the car unless you have a B+E licence.
have talked to law about max towing ability of car if more than kerbweight.this is there response

although the manufacture states that the car is capable of towing said amount,which they derive fron a standard level start it by nomeans means that it is actually safe to tow that amount.

if a caravan is heavier than the tow car it then means that there is a pushig force behind the car greater than the wieght of the car,which in their words could be construed as an unsafe weight,they also said it could be hard to prove it was unsafe and is a very grey area,wether it would get to court or not is a matter that had not arisen as far as they new and advised to stick to kerbweight onlyor manufacturers towing weight if less than kerbweight

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
have talked to law about max towing ability of car if more than kerbweight.this is there response

although the manufacture states that the car is capable of towing said amount,which they derive fron a standard level start it by nomeans means that it is actually safe to tow that amount.

if a caravan is heavier than the tow car it then means that there is a pushig force behind the car greater than the wieght of the car,which in their words could be construed as an unsafe weight,they also said it could be hard to prove it was unsafe and is a very grey area,wether it would get to court or not is a matter that had not arisen as far as they new and advised to stick to kerbweight onlyor manufacturers towing weight if less than kerbweight
If what you say is correct, manufacturers would be permitting a condition that could be described as being unsafe. In view of their product liability, this is something that they would certainly not knowingly do. Therefore, I cannot see why any court can claim that towing over the kerbweight is, per se, unsafe except perhaps in conjunction with other unfavourable conditions. My car has a max. permissible towload of 136% so going up to 100% would still leave me with a significant factor of safety.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If what you say is correct, manufacturers would be permitting a condition that could be described as being unsafe. In view of their product liability, this is something that they would certainly not knowingly do. Therefore, I cannot see why any court can claim that towing over the kerbweight is, per se, unsafe except perhaps in conjunction with other unfavourable conditions. My car has a max. permissible towload of 136% so going up to 100% would still leave me with a significant factor of safety.
the manufacturer states that the max tow ability is the maximum that car can pull,notice they never add SAFELY, its the weight it is capable of,safely or not

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

I forgot to mention that it would be a legal paradox if a B+E licence explictly allows you to tow more than the kerbweight but, at the same time, this condition was declared unsafe.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
the manufacturer states that the max tow ability is the maximum that car can pull,notice they never add SAFELY, its the weight it is capable of,safely or not
With that statement you are confirming what I said. The manufacturer would be saying the car is capable of doing something that is unsafe. I doubt whether any manufacturer would risk making such a claim.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi susan

please dont put yourself(and us other women)down !!! there is a difference between not knowing something and being able to learn and being thick !!!! You certainly dont sound the latter !!!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi susan

please dont put yourself(and us other women)down !!! there is a difference between not knowing something and being able to learn and being thick !!!! You certainly dont sound the latter !!!
p.s in saying that I'm sure you know of MANY ways to get what you want off the other half !!!

May 22, 2005
Visit site
just a point, if you have passed you driving test after 1st Jan 1997 you don't have entitlement to tow a caravan until you pass a further test.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts