Consumer Unit Location

Jun 9, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
Just wondering where the consumer unit on a caravan is usually located.

The unit on my Abi Monza 1991 was located on the floor at the front of the van under the bed and I'm not to keen on this location so was thinking about moving this up in the top of a cupboard. There is also a outside locker the other side off the wall and I was thinking of putting the leisure battery in there.

Any guidance would be greatful.

Thanks

Ed

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They are normally kept close to the battery. Why would you want to move weight higher up in the caravan and run extra cabling , or into an external locker that may allow water ingress?

I’d leave it where it is.

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
Wish mine was under the sofa/bed. It's in the wardrobe in the rear bathroom at the back of the van.

Electric hookup comes in under the sofa next to the battery, 12v fuse box, and charger. Then cables disappear below the floor and run to the back of the van, back though the floor to the wardrobe into the consumer unit. Then they disappear back under the floor and run back to the front of the centre of the van to power the fridge, sockets, charger and water heater.

What was the point in that?

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
Oh dear, I do apologise, I count that as a very mild one as expletives go, best you're never around when I'm trying to put the Milenco wheel clamp on the van....

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
colinbal4 said:
Oh dear, I do apologise, I count that as a very mild one as expletives go, best you're never around when I'm trying to put the Milenco wheel clamp on the van....

Best you don’t ever buy an Alko one then. :)

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
otherclive said:
colinbal4 said:

:lol: What colour does the air turn when fitting one of those? :lol:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
colinbal4 said:
The thing is Colin is that we're using a public forum and sometimes comments from this forum are printed in Practical Caravan magazine who own and pay for this website.
If you have ever bought a copy of Practical Caravan magazine you'll not be surprised to find that it doesn't contain expletives however mild they may be.
This website represents the online 'voice' of the Practical Caravan magazine, so if we allowed industrial language, sexual references or insulting comments we would give a very poor impression of caravanners in general and the Practical Caravan magazine in particular to the outside world who are free to buy the magazine containing our comments or to look at this forum whenever they want to because it's publicly available.
We don't tolerate any of the things that I mentioned, however seemingly mild because mild expletives represent the thin end of the wedge, so where do we draw the line?

Sweary comments are not big and they're not clever so stop it :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
colinbal4 said:
otherclive said:
colinbal4 said:

:lol: What colour does the air turn when fitting one of those? :lol:

More expletives than in a SOD’s opera especially if the mover doesn’t work and the alternative is pushing/pulling the van or jacking it up.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Get used to the PC (no not Practical Caravan, the other one) world we live in. Makes me wonder when back in the day a hit song like My Girl's xxxxx - Robert Crumb & His Cheap Suit Serenaders was all the rage!

Miss the old days!

PS No reflection on any content in this thread, simply a general comment!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Grey13 said:
Get used to the PC (no not Practical Caravan, the other one) world we live in. Makes me wonder when back in the day a hit song like My Girl's xxxxx - Robert Crumb & His Cheap Suit Serenaders was all the rage!

Miss the old days!

PS No reflection on any content in this thread, simply a general comment!

Yes, the good old days when people could freely insult others just because of the colour of their skin, some human being were not allowed to associate with others because they were deemed to be little better than animals and when all women were treated as second class citizens. :whistle:
My last off topic comment on this thread, but I don't miss the old days at all.
Get used to PC, it's a long overdue step in the right direction ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts