Continental E H U lead

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi every.
On previous continental trips I have noticed that many native vans have a smaller lead attached to where the EHU cable plugs into the caravan. My guess is that the connector has a 12v transformer built in.
If this is the case, I wonder if they are available here beacuse it would be easier than fitting a 12v outside socket to a caravan and thus not having to make any holes etc.

Any thoughts????

Brum

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We use to use this plug with a built in Continetal socket; is this what you have in mind?
[copy and paste]
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/ocsid3/IP44Socket.jpg
We got ours from a French Marina shop; we have never seen them in UK shops.
I hasten to add we ONLY use it with a French residual current breaker plug [hypermarket offering] as anything connected via it does not benefit from the van's protection equipment.
Now our van has an external 13AMP UK socket so that facility within the plug rarely gets to be used, however the “right angle” design of this plug remains a great asset in keeping the connection neat as the van's EHU socket is within the awning.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We use to use this plug with a built in Continental socket; is this what you have in mind?
[you need to copy and paste this in browser]
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/ocsid3/IP44Socket.jpg
It is of course a 220 volt AC outlet not 12 volt DC.
We got ours from a French Marina shop; we have never seen them in UK shops.
I hasten to add we ONLY use it with a French residual current breaker plug [hypermarket offering] as anything connected via it does not benefit from the van's protection equipment.
Now our van has an external 13AMP UK socket so that facility within the plug rarely gets to be used, however the “right angle” design of this plug remains a great asset in keeping the connection neat as the van's EHU socket is within the awning.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks JTQ for your reply.
I had assumed that the 'other' lead was 12v is beacuse they seemed so skinny and therefore only have the capacity of a few Amps if 230v.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you will find that the continental EHUs are only low amperage so a higher current capacity cable is not required, by the look of the picture of the connector it looks as though it is just a Cform to continental adaptor,no 12volt involved

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Actually, for the same wattage output, mains cable can be a lot skinnier than 12 volt cable because the current (amps) is much lower.
The plug pictured in JTQ's reply is very common here on the Continent as it does save an external mains socket.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Lutz said:
Actually, for the same wattage output, mains cable can be a lot skinnier than 12 volt cable because the current (amps) is much lower.
The plug pictured in JTQ's reply is very common here on the Continent as it does save an external mains socket.

Lutz. I take on board your comments about the current flow but my understanding is that the insulation should be thicker in proportion with the voltage of said current. So I would have expected a thicker looking cable.

Brum

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Few low power appliances are earthed (at least over here on the Continent) and their cables often appear relatively skinny because they only contain two leads.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The plug shown however does have an "earth" if it is required.
I have even seen these plugs used in France to "daisy chain" a single EHU between two vans
smiley-innocent.gif

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
Brum said:
Hi every.
On previous continental trips I have noticed that many native vans have a smaller lead attached to where the EHU cable plugs into the caravan. My guess is that the connector has a 12v transformer built in.
If this is the case, I wonder if they are available here beacuse it would be easier than fitting a 12v outside socket to a caravan and thus not having to make any holes etc.

Any thoughts????

Brum

If you have an outside locker, you could fit your socket inside it and cut a small nick in the door surround for the cable exit.

We have fitted both 12v and 230v sockets in our so called "wet locker", which OH uses for storing cables and guylines rather than anything "wet"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts