Cooking on Holiday

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
We've been enjoying this topic and maybe it's a good place to flag up a new feature in Practical Caravan. We want you to send us the recipes you cook in your vans – we'll roadtest them and rate them. Please click here for details. We look forward to hearing from you!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Going off what Crazyguider has posted. We actually cook double on the Cadac whilst we are a way, and stick that in the freezer. Its usually a curry, chilli or somethinbg along those lines, dead easy to microwave after a long day on the beach, and chuck it on a plate with some boil in the bag. Green Thai Curry (Coconut and Chicken) is a real favourite.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Cooking in the van, lovely, we have a halogen oven ( full size ) that we use instead of the oven,
it cooks great steak, chops, full chicken, pizza etc.
we also use a steamer pan as all the veg gets cooked on 1 ring.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
ianthebuilder said:
whats a cadac??? forgive me i am new !!!
google cadac cookers all the info you need, just in case you have no internet.
its a remote self contained gas cooker/hot plate/grill/ barbecue. for people that have an aversion to using the perfectly good serviceable one that came fitted with the van :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
sorry just could not resist that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Someone will post a link or photo I expect but in the meantime it is a free standing gas grill that you use outside the van. It comes with a variety of metal grill plates on which to cook. Very good for outdoor cooking although you don,t get the charcoal flavour of a barbecue.
Mel

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Are we the only people who hate barbecuing ? We have a full sized Cadac and leave it at home gathering dust in the shed. I find the chore of barbecuing is cleaning the damn thing even if you wait until the last time you use it before you come home. You either cook outside and have to cart it into the van or you cook and eat outside which involves carting all the plates, cutlery, etc etc outside. How many times have I just sat down and someone says - 'is the mustard out here', so up I get again. Our extractor fan removes all cooking smells in the van. I am not a hater of barbecued food, in fact love it and enjoy being asked to a BBQ run by someone else :) I cook proper meals in the van too as I love cooking, but hate barbecuing.

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Pinto said:
I find the chore of barbecuing is cleaning the damn thing

This is where you're going wrong! BBQs (coals ones at least) are like those ancient Chinese tea pots that crack if they don't get used- BBQs are supposed to have caked on deposits on them, even the grill (you just put it on whilst there are some good flames on the coals next time, and it'll be perfectly fine for cooking on).

These gas BBQs on the other hand.... Aside from being cheating in the first place, don't self clean in the same way as coals based ones.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
We always cook inside unless the weather is really good, then we have a proper bbq, not a gas cheaty thing! We're not grilled food fans, or fried food fans, so eat more traditional meals that I part prep at home, freeze and take with us, alongside my trusty pressure cooker.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Have never heard of this Candac thing before reading this. Must say it looks fantastic I think I may have to get myself one for summer in our new van next year :)

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I used to take my pressure cooker, but now use a steamer (not electric) for my veg. I used to send hubby outside to release the steam and a couple of times people came rushing over thinking I'd set the pan alight !!!

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I have been a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to the barbeque, coal fired, always lumpwood and locally produced if I can get it. But I have until now been a tentist and cooked everything outside on my twin burner stove anyway; even if it was under my trusty fishing brolly during a downpour. I have now given up the canvass in favour of a caravan with a perfectly good set of burners, a grill and oven but decided to invest in a cadac anyway. This is not a impulse buy on my behalf, I have often thought of getting one when struggling to get damp charcoal to light watching other campers setting up, cooking, and packing away before I have even got the drumsticks out of the coolbox. Obviously there are more than a few on here who wax lyrical about the cadac which has nudged me towards the purchase.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I well remember standing outside in all weathers trying to cook something edible on 2 gas burners. Give me the fitted hob/oven any day - no wind, no rain, and a charcoal bbq if it's glorious.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Over the half term week we popped down to near Swanage, maybe it’s a throwback from my tenting days but I sat out under my fishing umbrella and cooked brunch on more than one occasion, bacon, eggs, black pudding, sausages, fried bread and all of the other stuff that you shouldn’t eat. It is remarkable how many folk stop to chat when you are cooking al fresco. Obviously I didn’t have to use the umbrella every day but a little spot of drizzle isn’t stopping me from cooking outside… and the caravan doesn’t smell of fry up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts