Coronavirius

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Wifey, Had a bad Session of her COPD two years ago, antibiotics and Seroids, for almost three months. The local nurse said I was almost on the point of pneumonia, horrible.
Lets hope we all pull through this.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the history lesson. Not much relevance to today’s world is it?

Clicking on my link was not compulsory...... so any perceived history lesson was your choice.

Sorry you did not find it relevant to today.
I found it useful as an insight into how long the world will take to defeat this virus.
There is talk of returning to normal quite soon in some quarters with modern medicine and technology making this possible .......I think history would suggest otherwise.

Reactions: WayneS

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Bill. I have also been reading up on the 1918 pandemic. Fascinating. It does not mean that History will be repeated here, but the lessons of history may well help decision making now. Curiously “Spanish flu” appeared to almost spontaneously disappear, for reasons that are probably not well understood. Undoubtedly the more sophisticated virology of today, will add to lessons from 1918 and when The Covid 19 pandemic itself becomes part of history, people of the future will also learn from it.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
China has as much to loose as anywhere, so I'm sure their authorities will have been watching and working on the Covid -19 problem just as strenuously as everywhere else. I'm certain they will have though very carefully about rolling back some of the restrictions in Wuhan which they have announced today.

Because of the differences in the way each country has tackled the issue of testing for Covid-19, and the historical evidence that suggests the Chinese authorities have often hidden the full data about such incidents, we will never know for certain what percentage of the city's 11M population was actually infected, but the figures that have been released indicate that only 48.5K were officially recorded, with 46K5 apparently recovered However Its almost certain that many others were infected but due to the isolation measures and the mildness of their symptoms their numbers have not been recorded, and we will probably never know the whole story.

It is my concern that a large majority of the city's population (over 6M or more) probably were never infected, and that means there is still a high risk of a second or more waves of new infections when movement and mixing restrictions are lifted. I hope i'm wrong.

But I am certain the worlds governments and health experts will be watching what happens in and around Wuhan now with great interest.

If China's approach works, then that will raise hopes that a similar strategy may well help elsewhere as the peak infections begin to decline.

In all of this, I do hope that the Chinese authorities will share their data about this infection, its not an idealistic or expansionist war, it's humanistic matter, and should transcend any political boundaries.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ever the optimist Prof😜
You are more likely to get a bbq bat than the truth about the Chinese numbers.
Your point about declared numbers is probably true for the rest of Europe.Two of our friends have been bed ridden with a “flu like virus” but not medically confirmed Covid-19. I wonder how we actually count our numbers? Maybe those in hospital plus those who have had a test? The very scenario you describe was the original basis for the Herding plan. The boffins shelved that . Sadly I think we to may experience a second wave at a later date. I really can’t see my Wyoming turning a wheel this year😥😥😥.
I really hope no one on here or their friends and relatives have succumbed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ever the optimist Prof😜
You are more likely to get a bbq bat than the truth about the Chinese numbers.
Your point about declared numbers is probably true for the rest of Europe.Two of our friends have been bed ridden with a “flu like virus” but not medically confirmed Covid-19. I wonder how we actually count our numbers? Maybe those in hospital plus those who have had a test? The very scenario you describe was the original basis for the Herding plan. The boffins shelved that . Sadly I think we to may experience a second wave at a later date. I really can’t see my Wyoming turning a wheel this year😥😥😥.
I really hope no one on here or their friends and relatives have succumbed.
The BBCs statistician gives some good insights on numbers particularly relating to the likely under reporting as generally deaths have been those occurring in hospitals. But he also factors in deaths at care homes and amongst those self isolating and having declared symptoms. The latter two categories are recorded by GPs and registered with the local authorise Registrars Offices. So there is a time lag even if those numbers are accounted for in the publicised total. You have five days to register someone’s death with the Registrars Office. The GP doesn’t do that when he/she confirms the death. THE BBC chap then introduces the distinct likelihood that coronavirus will have contributed to other deaths but will not have been the primary recorded cause.
His analysis and written articles have been consistent and today First Minister of Scotland confirmed that announced deaths had jumped due to the Scottish statistics office now starting to include these non hospital numbers. So I guess that it would be the case throughout the UK.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof
I hope your wife is doing ok and avoiding most human contact. Here in Cricklade I and SWMBO have been allocated Five vulnerable people for weekly shopping , social telephone contact , and emergencies. My 94 mum lives in North Devon. Her local Parish Council have 100 volunteers . She can now relax knowing her weekly shopping will be sorted. In true British spirit it is so wonderful to know our vulnerable populous is being looked after. I must also say our local “corner shop” has beaten the big boys hands down. They are delivering all foods and groceries to those who are self isolating foc. Well done them. How’s it around the rest of the country?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Here in the Black Country social media seems to be coordinating help for vulnerable people who are self isolating.
Supermarket delivery slots can be hard to come by, which of course encourages people to buy more because they can't depend on getting another delivery the week after.
After a shaky start the large supermarkets round here are using security to ensure that queues maintain social distancing, but inside there are always muppets who insist on coming too close.
The roads and streets are quiet, but young people in parks think that the rules don't apply to them, and some religious groups continue to congregate for prayers and at funerals while police look on helplessly.
Local police have kept themselves busy patrolling canal towpaths to move individual fishermen, but vehicle theft and burgalry is as bad as ever.
I have a feeling that travel restrictions are going to last quite a long time, trips in the caravan this year are looking increasingly unlikely.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Prof
I hope your wife is doing ok and avoiding most human contact. Here in Cricklade I and SWMBO have been allocated Five vulnerable people for weekly shopping , social telephone contact , and emergencies. My 94 mum lives in North Devon. Her local Parish Council have 100 volunteers . She can now relax knowing her weekly shopping will be sorted. In true British spirit it is so wonderful to know our vulnerable populous is being looked after. I must also say our local “corner shop” has beaten the big boys hands down. They are delivering all foods and groceries to those who are self isolating foc. Well done them. How’s it around the rest of the country?
Over in Chippenham the big supermarkets were a nightmare although things have levelled out. Our local church has been delivering food parcels using nominations from social media. Our daughters freezer is full of church food ready for distribution. Local greengrovers and butchers have been delivering FOC. And the milkman has also increased deliveries too. I cannot say how those listed as Extremely Vulnerable are coping but social media and the local press seem fairly muted so I guess things have moved in the right direction. In Leicester my brother who is classed as EV hasn’t had any support as one of his disadvantages is that he doesn’t use a smartphone or have internet know how. So he goes out to his local mini mart and back home again or worst of all, despite my strong advice , goes to see his buddies.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Over in Chippenham the big supermarkets were a nightmare although things have levelled out. Our local church has been delivering food parcels using nominations from social media. Our daughters freezer is full of church food ready for distribution. Local greengrovers and butchers have been delivering FOC. And the milkman has also increased deliveries too. I cannot say how those listed as Extremely Vulnerable are coping but social media and the local press seem fairly muted so I guess things have moved in the right direction. In Leicester my brother who is classed as EV hasn’t had any support as one of his disadvantages is that he doesn’t use a smartphone or have internet know how. So he goes out to his local mini mart and back home again or worst of all, despite my strong advice , goes to see his buddies.
Clive
Not good for your brother. I’m surprised his local Council hasn’t organise something??

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Plus three weeks flat om my back with flu I started having flu jabs in
I think the way things
Here in the Black Country social media seems to be coordinating help for vulnerable people who are self isolating.
Supermarket delivery slots can be hard to come by, which of course encourages people to buy more because they can't depend on getting another delivery the week after.
After a shaky start the large supermarkets round here are using security to ensure that queues maintain social distancing, but inside there are always muppets who insist on coming too close.
The roads and streets are quiet, but young people in parks think that the rules don't apply to them, and some religious groups continue to congregate for prayers and at funerals while police look on helplessly.
Local police have kept themselves busy patrolling canal towpaths to move individual fishermen, but vehicle theft and burgalry is as bad as ever.
I have a feeling that travel restrictions are going to last quite a long time, trips in the caravan this year are looking increasingly unlikely.
The way things are going the police are going to have to call on the army to help in controlling these idiots that do not want to isolate but would sooner socialize, years ago I went to Ripolin paints in Southall and it was the same time that Blair Peach the New Zealader that was killed in Southall, the old boy on the fork truck said Southall has always been a troubled town when I was small boy in the 20's it was the scotch and the irish that caused the trouble but they called on company of guardsmen from Hounslow barracks with bayonets fixed to sort them out,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Prof
Thank you for asking.

We are self isolating becasue of my wife's medical conditions renders her highly vulnerable. None of our family live close enough to be of any immediate assistance, and we have not been offered any support of the kind you have mentioned, except one of my daughters work colleagues who lives a couple of miles away has said she can get a few essential if we need them.

Despite the danger, I will need to venture out tomorrow to collect a prescription.

We are on the border of West Midlands to Staffordshire, and have Asda, Morrisons, Ocado, Sainsbury's and Tesco all within 5 miles, and none of them have any click and collect or delivery slots available for the next three weeks.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Prof, phone your chemist and ask them to deliver the meds.
We usually collect ours in person but it's not worth potential exposure to infection.
Our chemists delivery man knocks the door and steps well away, leaving the meds on the mat, and one of us uses either an old freezer bag or bread wrapper over our hand to pick up the meds.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Prof, the website to register for assistance is Here
You're wife should definitely be receiving support.
Also, contact your local authority, many of them are coordinating local helpers.
If all else fails, contact your local councillor.
Don't go out to put yourself or your wife at risk, the help will be out there

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Prof
My brother in law in Coventry had a recent heart attack and has been advised not to go out other than for a walk. His prescriptions are delivered by a Boots some 2 miles away at £55pa. Yesterday he had a medical issue and my wife rang his health center. He’s been listed as “vulnerable” prior to Covid 19 so she had permission to speak on his behalf. They arranged for a doctor to speak to him. A prescription was issued electronically to Boots and it will be delivered today at a specified time no extra charge.

Re Sainsbury deliveries. You need to see the recently updated app or website that gives a specific phone number for EV and over 70s to use. It’s an automated line for you to key in information. Or there is an option to wait and talk to someone. They check data with Government website, presumably DOH, DWP etc. After 2-3 days you should receive a sms that you are registered. I did not but checked the app and pressed Book a Slot. Nothing came up under Click and Collect and never has, but there were delivery slots available five days hence. That seems to be the time window. Slots are released about 0800 fir two days five and six days ahead. They go quickly though. This is the number fir the automated service that I used:
0800 953 4988 but looking at their website and app just now it’s disappeared and their emphasis seems to be to work directly with Government to continue to identify EV who should then receive an email from a Sainsbury’s. Why does the world assume everyone has email or smartphone. I’ve got two relatives some distance away who have very old phones and who can’t even manage text reading or voicemail recovery.
Anyway good luck to you.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof
It seems to me local parish and small Town Councils are coping far better than Cities. Even in small places like Cricklade and Fremington there are nearly 100 volunteers helping the vulnerable. Our local Boots and Londis corner shop deliver for you. I am very surprised there is no local group helping out in your neck of the woods. Might be worth asking your local Parish council? Sadly the big boys have massive lead in times on home deliveries. Hope all works out for you.

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Another suggestion is to give your local church a call. Our small parish church, of which I am a member has a list of folks, including us, who will deliver items if needed. We have not been called upon yet, but stand ready. We are very clear that we are there for everyone, not just a church members,.
Hope you can get some support.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I thank you all for your suggestions,

We have been aware of most of these possibilities, but for one reason or another they have not worked out for us.

I am registered with Morrisons, Sainsbury, Tesco and Waitrose for home deliveries, but despite this locally getting delivery slots is proving very difficult.

We had already applied to the Govt web site to register as Extremely Vulnerable, but the web site does not confirm if you have been successful or not. The only way you discover if you've been successful is if any of the supermarkets (who receive Govt data) lists you. Ironically despite my wife medical conditions which are listed on the Govt web site, she has not been advised she is listed! And I who had just one condition for which I had surgery to correct and now does not really restrict me have been successful according to Sainsbury!

Despite my status, I have only been able to book one Sainsbury delivery, but since then despite checking web sites on a regular basis several times a day, there are no future slots available for deliveries or click and collect.

Regards the prescriptions, My wife's conditions are treated by a very wide range of medications (some are trail drugs). Due to health regulations prescriptions for some some of her meds cannot be transmitted electronically, Normally we would collect the scripts and take them to the pharmacy. During this crisis we have to use a pharmacy that will visit the surgery to physically collect the scripts, and that limits us to a few local pharmacies who unfortunately do not deliver.

We have not been contacted by or made aware of any local voluntary support organisations. However our daughter did send us a list of local council phone numbers.

At this stage I'm concerned but not desperate. about getting groceries, But it does concern me that I will have to increase my risk of exposure to get meds.

I would love to be able to offer help to others but the risks to my wife are just too great.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Just had a delivery of hand sanitizer gel from an established manufacturer. The H&S advice is “avoid contact with skin and eyes. 😱

PS just done a test and it certainly has excellent flammability using two old J cloths. It smells fine and leaves a smooth light coating on skin. Of which I still have plenty left on my hands. Looking at ads around the bazaars they too show a similar H&S warning. So I won’t be using it as a facial moisturiser.

Avoid Covid 19 and self immolate? ;):unsure:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts