Coronavirius

Page 7 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Looking at the daily report on BBC ,is making me think the reporters have not got anything useful to say. For instance will it end?. Will there be an extension to the lock down?. Perhaps the government have got a crystal ball some where. To me it will end when the fat lady sings. On my own patch have been working most of the time painting anything that does not move and the grass shall not be over 35.5mm , and the weeds will not show their face .Tomorrow my Wife will be 84 born on Good Friday 1936, me born on Good Friday 1933. Being indoors is no big thing, she has not been out since end of Feb, me 2nd March.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I thank you all for your suggestions,

We have been aware of most of these possibilities, but for one reason or another they have not worked out for us.

I am registered with Morrisons, Sainsbury, Tesco and Waitrose for home deliveries, but despite this locally getting delivery slots is proving very difficult.

We had already applied to the Govt web site to register as Extremely Vulnerable, but the web site does not confirm if you have been successful or not. The only way you discover if you've been successful is if any of the supermarkets (who receive Govt data) lists you. Ironically despite my wife medical conditions which are listed on the Govt web site, she has not been advised she is listed! And I who had just one condition for which I had surgery to correct and now does not really restrict me have been successful according to Sainsbury!

Despite my status, I have only been able to book one Sainsbury delivery, but since then despite checking web sites on a regular basis several times a day, there are no future slots available for deliveries or click and collect.

Regards the prescriptions, My wife's conditions are treated by a very wide range of medications (some are trail drugs). Due to health regulations prescriptions for some some of her meds cannot be transmitted electronically, Normally we would collect the scripts and take them to the pharmacy. During this crisis we have to use a pharmacy that will visit the surgery to physically collect the scripts, and that limits us to a few local pharmacies who unfortunately do not deliver.

We have not been contacted by or made aware of any local voluntary support organisations. However our daughter did send us a list of local council phone numbers.

At this stage I'm concerned but not desperate. about getting groceries, But it does concern me that I will have to increase my risk of exposure to get meds.

I would love to be able to offer help to others but the risks to my wife are just too great.
I received a letter today informing me that as an 'extremely vulnerable person' I shouldn't go out or do shopping.
Now they tell me!
Due to the impossibility of getting supermarket delivery slots I've had no choice other than to go out to buy groceries whilst observing social separation as best as I could since the start of the lockdown.
If you receive a similar letter for your wife Prof, go to the website and complete the registration.
If no such letter arrives contact your MP
It's imperative that you receive support to avoid further risk.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I received a letter today informing me that as an 'extremely vulnerable person' I shouldn't go out or do shopping.
Now they tell me!
Due to the impossibility of getting supermarket delivery slots I've had no choice other than to go out to buy groceries whilst observing social separation as best as I could since the start of the lockdown.
If you receive a similar letter for your wife Prof, go to the website and complete the registration.
If no such letter arrives contact your MP
It's imperative that you receive support to avoid further risk.
Steve, surely Tipton have volunteers to help? I’m amazed that different parts of the Country are so dissimilar in a time of crisis. My brother tells me there are volunteer groups like mine and Mel’s in Marple Bridge. Is this a subject the local MP should be resolving now. We are all British👍👍👍

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Prof

As fir Sainsbury’s my reading of the availability of slots is that if you get a delivery one then it’s not possible to book another until the initial delivery has been made. Then you are looking at a window 5-6 days ahead and slots seem to be released around 8 am. Click and Collect seems to be being targeted at the non Vulnerable or elderly.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Steve, surely Tipton have volunteers to help? I’m amazed that different parts of the Country are so dissimilar in a time of crisis. My brother tells me there are volunteer groups like mine and Mel’s in Marple Bridge. Is this a subject the local MP should be resolving now. We are all British👍👍👍
Tipton and the surrounding areas does have volunteers who are willing to help Dusty.
I didn't regard myself as being amongst the vulnerable, I'm not ill but Herself is over 70 so we've been careful.
My sons offered to shop for us but I didn't want them to take unnecessary risks.
Apparently our local council are allocating volunteers and our newly elected MP has been very active in helping those in need, which is why I suggested to the Prof that if all else fails he could try his MP.

Reactions: Dustydog
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for asking.

We are self isolating becasue of my wife's medical conditions renders her highly vulnerable. None of our family live close enough to be of any immediate assistance, and we have not been offered any support of the kind you have mentioned, except one of my daughters work colleagues who lives a couple of miles away has said she can get a few essential if we need them.

Despite the danger, I will need to venture out tomorrow to collect a prescription.

We are on the border of West Midlands to Staffordshire, and have Asda, Morrisons, Ocado, Sainsbury's and Tesco all within 5 miles, and none of them have any click and collect or delivery slots available for the next three weeks.
Prof, have you tried to give your local Age UK a ring they are bound to have people on there list remember 750,000 volunteers came forward and I'm sure Age UK would of grabbed a few to do the very thing you need help with,

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Prof, the website to register for assistance is Here
You're wife should definitely be receiving support.
Also, contact your local authority, many of them are coordinating local helpers.
If all else fails, contact your local councillor.
Don't go out to put yourself or your wife at risk, the help will be out there
My wife, who has COPD, registered last Monday, yesterday she received a letter from Milton keynes council telling her she had been recognised as vulnerable. Then a phone call, asking details, then an Email from Tesco saying she was now on their list for priority deliveries, just after I had been shopping. Then a food basket arrived from MK support line. Free of charge, but stating if we could afford to make a donation to do so.
Hurt my hands clapping at 8 pm yesterday evening.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Please read, understand and adhere to the rues of this forum https://forums.practicalcaravan.com/threads/read-before-posting-forum-rules.60367/
Just seen an oldboy on, SKY NEWS who is 99 and has survided the corona virus and got an ovation off the staff when he was leaving the hospital, during the war he was grenadier guardsman and was also a POW.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Just seen an oldboy on, SKY NEWS who is 99 and has survided the corona virus and got an ovation off the staff when he was leaving the hospital, during the war he was grenadier guardsman and was also a POW.
Whats wrong with that post what have I said now, tell the world Parky,

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Whats wrong with that post what have I said now, tell the world Parky,
I've replied to your private message with further details Camel , I'm not here to publicly shame you or to play to the gallery with my response here.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just been informed that there’s a distillery on our storage site who have now started to make 70% hand sanitiser for sale initially to storage customers in the vulnerable category. It’s a whole new world out there as we didn’t even know about the distillery.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Prof, I do not know if it works in your area but our local Coop has started taking orders for deliveries. You have to pay £3 as they use an independent van driver, but it cuts out the delays.
If you are on Facebook, there is usually a local group where you can get help, and also find details of local small shops who will deliver. That does help these shops survive, so is also good for the community, although they may be more expensive.
Do try and keep safe though whatever you do.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’ve been to Tesco and Lidl today. Got everything I needed including very cheap handwash.
Do you guys think250 ml moisturising anti bacterial hand gel at £ 15.99 is a good deal? An advert in yesterday’s Daily Telegraph says I can have ten250 ml bottles for £155.88. Is this a good deal and should I buy?

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I’ve been to Tesco and Lidl today. Got everything I needed including very cheap handwash.
Do you guys think250 ml moisturising anti bacterial hand gel at £ 15.99 is a good deal? An advert in yesterday’s Daily Telegraph says I can have ten250 ml bottles for £155.88. Is this a good deal and should I buy?
I paid £9.99 for 500mil of handwash sanitiser 99.9% alcobol, your price is the most expensiveI have seen,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought there was a HMG quango to stamp out profiteering. This is an advert in a major U.K. newspaper!
Neither seem a particularly good deal. It will be like panic buying of food, once the supply chain reacts and ups deliveries people calm down.
The distillery on our storage site are selling 700 ml for £18 to the users of the site.
I bought 500 ml from EBay for £18 and our local carpet/ domestic cleaning company gave out 250 ml bottles of sanitizer fluid, not gel.
To be honest we haven’t used much at all as the highlight of the last month was a walk to the pharmacy and a trip to the vets plus walks and dog walks. Cars go out for a 2x10 minute circuit at two weekly intervals. Other than that it’s delivery, delivery, 🚚

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sanitzer isn't as effective as dilute bleach (for surfaces) and soap and water (for skin)

Most advice says surgical spirit (sanitiser) kills the virus in seconds, bleach takes longer. But obviously few are going to clean work surfaces and handles etc with sanitiser. Soap is excellent at home for hands and even handles but sanitiser plus wipes are most use if you are out and about.

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Most advice says surgical spirit (sanitiser) kills the virus in seconds, bleach takes longer. But obviously few are going to clean work surfaces and handles etc with sanitiser. Soap is excellent at home for hands and even handles but sanitiser plus wipes are most use if you are out and about.

Just don’t listen to Trump and try ingesting or injecting it. :eek:
What a chump.
Mel

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
A comparison on size of the virus is that if the virus is the size of a pound coin the human cells it enters are the size of a jumbo jet. A famous scientist, can’t remember who, described a virus as a load of trouble wrapped in a very small coat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts