Cost of fuel

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When the price of Crude reached the magic $100/Barrel a few years ago, we were all complaining about our Diesel hitting the £1/Litre. Today's price for Crude is average about $82/Barrel. When it goes up we are told that is the reason for our diesel to go up. When is goes down, we see our diesel hit the £1.50/Litre. I know, it's all about the market. :mad:

The recent panic buying hasn't helped - and the high price has had little effect on demand.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The recent panic buying hasn't helped - and the high price has had little effect on demand.
I don't think that is a factor because our price is in line with Europe, roughly (cheaper than France and dearer than Germany as usual). Apparently the world price of diesel is high because of the world market. Some countries ie India are generating some of their electricity from diesel, and India and China are rapidly increasing car ownership. Basically, the world is demanding more stuff than the world has!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When the price of Crude reached the magic $100/Barrel a few years ago, we were all complaining about our Diesel hitting the £1/Litre. Today's price for Crude is average about $82/Barrel. When it goes up we are told that is the reason for our diesel to go up. When is goes down, we see our diesel hit the £1.50/Litre. I know, it's all about the market. :mad:
I think your facts are incorrect. In July 2014 oil hit $100+ but diesel certainly wasn’t £1.00 per litre by any measure. It was 35 pence or more expensive.

You’re correct though that it’s now the market.OPEC plus Russia are producing against a publicised plan which only gives modest rises per month. But given since early 2020 producers, transporters, refiners and garages have all taken a financial hit it’s not surprising that prices are high as the supply chain tries to recoup some of the large losses.
https://www.theaa.com/resources/Documents/pdf/motoring-advice/fuel-reports/july2014.pdf#:~:text=July 2014 After rising by around a penny,unleaded and diesel has shrunk to 4.5 ppl.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
it a bit disappointing about the fuelpecker i thinking of joining myself :)
I had the original card, from the CC, lots of problems at first with it. And with only two Esso fuel stations, both about 10 miles the wrong way from me, I decided that I was using more fuel than I was saving on the cost. So stopped the card.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I had the original card, from the CC, lots of problems at first with it. And with only two Esso fuel stations, both about 10 miles the wrong way from me, I decided that I was using more fuel than I was saving on the cost. So stopped the card.
I was the same, 3000 text messages in one day from them was enough.
One Esso station near us and always 5-6p per litre more expensive than the closest supermarket station so I cancelled too. Didn't know that they had replaced it but no big loss for me

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have saved £159.70 since we started using the card. If no Esso station nearby, we fill up at the nearest service station. It can also be used on the continent at Esso stations.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well Esso garages is just around the corner from me so it would have been a great idea :)

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We have saved £159.70 since we started using the card. If no Esso station nearby, we fill up at the nearest service station. It can also be used on the continent at Esso stations.
Some of that saving, perhaps more than that, could have been achieved if cheap supermarket fuel was available locally - I did apply, and receive that Esso fuel card but never used it as the reduced price was always still higher than my local supermarkets.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Some of that saving, perhaps more than that, could have been achieved if cheap supermarket fuel was available locally - I did apply, and receive that Esso fuel card but never used it as the reduced price was always still higher than my local supermarkets.
Last week week was thge first time we saw that supermarket fuel woudl have bene cheaper. Generally after the discount the fuel bought using the Esso card was 1 or 2pm cheaper so very definitely a savings using a branded fuel.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Here in North Wiltshire Asda is consistently 8p cheaper than the main stream A419 Esso and BP garages.
Allegedly using 100% supermarket fuel blocked up the EGRV on my first Sorento. Kia advised alternating fill ups between the cheapy and named. Two cars on never had a problem. But there is no scientific evidence to prove the point for me.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Here in North Wiltshire Asda is consistently 8p cheaper than the main stream A419 Esso and BP garages.
Allegedly using 100% supermarket fuel blocked up the EGRV on my first Sorento. Kia advised alternating fill ups between the cheapy and named. Two cars on never had a problem. But there is no scientific evidence to prove the point for me.
The only real difference is the additive added to the fuel. The better the additive the cleaner the engine burns fuel.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Last week week was thge first time we saw that supermarket fuel woudl have bene cheaper. Generally after the discount the fuel bought using the Esso card was 1 or 2pm cheaper so very definitely a savings using a branded fuel.
I guess it must depend on the locality - in my area, the supermarkets were always significantly cheaper than Esso or other branded fuel - the area is normally among the cheapest in the UK for fuel prices.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We use Millers diesel or petrol additive from time to time. Redex is also readily available.
Ironic that - in other threads on supermarket fuel vs big brand it's often said that big brands have more/better additives than supermarket fuel and that big brands don't need any more additive.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ironic that - in other threads on supermarket fuel vs big brand it's often said that big brands have more/better additives than supermarket fuel and that big brands don't need any more additive.
Probably correct if you vehicle is old. I use an additive about once or twice a year even though I use a branded fuel. Probably cheaper than filling up using Premium fuel which can be up to 20p more a litre. I go along with what Rob Jax, who was a member on here and a chemical engineer, advised.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I always use branded fuels and haven’t found the need to turn the clock back 25 years or more.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Have we gone mad?
The CRA protects us all. Do we really think supermarket fuel will allegedly cause premature damage to our vehicles? Imagine the claims😉

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Have we gone mad?
The CRA protects us all. Do we really think supermarket fuel will allegedly cause premature damage to our vehicles? Imagine the claims😉
It's happened before - back in the '80s some police forces had exclusive fuel supply arrangements with one of the big brands (Shell I think but can't be sure) and the fuel caused major engine problems with their high speed patrol cars, notably Vauxhall Senators - it cost Shell a lot of money in compensation.

Reactions: Challenger
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have we gone mad?
Fuel has to meet a minimum British Standard so all suppliers have to meet that British Standard. Achieving that standard should ensure that vehicles can operate satisfactorily. Since supermarket fuel comprises the majority of fuel sold it must be satisfactory otherwise 50%+ of U.K. cars would be struggling. But there’s nothing to say that suppliers cannot exceed that standard by the use of different additives and detergents. There can be no one size fits all given the wide difference in driving environments to city through to motorway long haul. I suspect that the branded fuels may work better for engines that are not run in optimum conditions. But gaining access to good quality comparative test data is quite difficult. Which have done tests. I used supermarket fuel in my company cars and hire cars, but branded fuels in personal vehicles, and until very recently premium branded.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProfJohnL

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
With two major supermarkets with filling stations within half a mile of our house I always use supermarket fuels, diesel in my case.
I drive two vehicles, a 2009 Kia Sorento 2.5 XS crdi and a 2013 Ford Fiesta 1.6 eco diesel Titanium X.
Supermarket fuel notwithstanding, neither of these vehicles, which have fairly high mileage, ever misses a beat, both start first time every time and both cars pass the MOT year after year with no advisories.
I'm not obsessive about measuring mpg, but the Fiesta is very economical and the Sorento gives no cause for complaint when towing our t/a caravan or driving solo.
The reliability and continued longevity of both vehicles is i.m.o. due to regular servicing and maintenance coupled with driving techniques that lead to good fuel economy.
There's an Esso service station within a mile of us, and on the very rare occasions when I've filled up with branded fuel I can't say that I've noticed any difference in the way that either car runs.
I've been using supermarket fuels for at least 25 years with no adverse effects on any vehicle that I've owned in that time.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have we gone mad?
Who said that supermarket fuel damages the engine? I suggested that branded fuels may clean the engine better than a supermarket fuel due to additive added.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts