Cost of Sites in Europe compared to Sites in UK

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
I have just received my ACSI Camping Card and and my Camping Cheque Directory and have booked my ferry for Dover Dunkerque late August, all of September. Looking at the places we want to go to. It is cheaper to go to Europe caravanning than stay in UK using Caravan Club sites for the same period. I have not been to Europe for more than ten years but will be going again.
Reading Dianne Thomson's web site has really got me going to the Continent.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear I have got your going to Europe again it is certainly cheaper than the UK even food and fuel. ACSI is worth its weight in gold.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bill
Caravan Club sites seem to becoming the expensive option. Last year we spent 65 nights in the caravan, about two thirds in in Europe and a third in the UK and our average nightly cost was about £13.50. I suspect the average would have been higher had we spent more time in the UK.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with the general views expressed but you do have to factor in ferry and travel insurance costs. For those of us for whom the short crossings are not convenient, these can be considerable. Comparison is also difficult for long stays, as many Spanish and some French sites discount dramatically for these - e.g. 22 euros for one night only to 9 euros/night for 60 nights or more.
I used to do all the sums but they only made me miserable, so I've given it up now !

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
This may well be the last year of the really cheap ferry crossings - £58.00 return for car and caravan will spoil us for anything more expensive next year! DFDS have now taken over Norfolk Lines, and I can't see their bargain basement offers continuing. We had the same price last year - and thought it was too good to be true. It's the lowest it's been for about twenty years!

However, I do agree that site fees can be cheaper in France - from 6 euros including electricity on some municipal sites, £9.00 with Vacansoleil Cheques, and from 11 euros on some ACSI sites - and that's the pitch, two people, car and caravan, awning, and one dog should you take one with you! Mind you, for every cheap site in low season, there is an expensive one in peak season - someone on another forum has quoted 70 euros per night for a family of five in late July on one (now 5 star) site in the Ardeche!

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,
Thanks for your comments. I did factor in my ferry costs of DFDS return Dover Dunkirk at £119 return., and I am starting in Devon going to Dover. I tried Poole to Cherbourg but at £490 return I figured I would not use that much fuel getting to Dover, hence the DFDS crossing.
Bill

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I have just managed to get a crossing Poole / Cherbourg for Easter including 3 camping cheques for £298. This also includes overheight / overlength supplements. I have also been quoted for August - Poole to Cherbourg out and Caen to Portsmouth back including 3 camping cheques - £359.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts