Crack in panel!

Page 12 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
20220706-093037.jpg

.......at 9 years old my Swift Challenger developed a 5cms crack on one rear corner on top of the roof. This is a known fault with Swifts and they produce a kit consisting of a pair of roof rear end caps.
Fitted the caps myself to each side to give a balanced finish.....the rear top lights had to be removed and refitted over the caps!
No help to forumites with more serious faults in this thread I know...but a good outcome for me at the cost of £45.
If I didn't know better, I would say that 's my Challenger. Bought the van at just three years old and both sides showed 2" cracks after two months, the dealer fitted these caps, free.
Before the cap was fitted the dealer stopped the cracks by drilling both ends then ensured that they were filled with, I believe to be Sikaflex, then the caps fitted as above. That is coming up to 7 years this October. Jobs a good un.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Premier towing in Dudle came highly recommended and who are a AWS recognised workshop can do the crack on ours for approximately £600 if we go ahead with the repair. Just means a slight change claiming for damages or whatever is appropriate.
In the meantime it has a temporary seal with mastic. I do have clear gorilla tape in the caravan, but have not been brave enough to use it as it means removing the mastic the dealer put over the crack.

If you go ahead with the proposed repairs will that prejudice your FOS claim?

Some may take you action as an affirmation you are satisfied??

Considering all the posts ,correspondence and stress you have incurred I wonder if you may not be better off doing a temporary repair, Captain Tolleys, and let the litigation take its course?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Good news. Elddis have agreed to replace the front panel and do any damp ingress issues as a goodwill gesture if we pay 50% of the labour cots which is about £600. We are very happy with this outcome even though it has taken a couple of months to achieve this. Buying lottery tickets tonight! 👍:D

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that is probably as good an offer as you are likely to get, just shows you were right to carry on fighting your corner. We are having our window replaced on Monday at annual service, with our local service technician, window came from supplying dealer within 2 weeks of ordering, 1 week Swift were closed, so happy with their service, and cost was less than I feared, then deduct the fuel cost I would have had to pay ,plus the time involved taking the van back to dealer, and I am almost happy.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Good news. Elddis have agreed to replace the front panel and do any damp ingress issues as a goodwill gesture if we pay 50% of the labour cots which is about £600. We are very happy with this outcome even though it has taken a couple of months to achieve this. Buying lottery tickets tonight! 👍:D
A good result all round and saves all the litigation stress. And I expect a guarantee on all the repairs?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Congratulations.

But note the manufacturer has made this a gesture of goodwill which is not an admission of liability. They have simply sidestepped the issue. In this case the customer is still going to be out of pocket.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Congratulations.

But note the manufacturer has made this a gesture of goodwill which is not an admission of liability. They have simply sidestepped the issue. In this case the customer is still going to be out of pocket.
I would rather be out of pocket for £600 than £9000! If we had gone ahead with the repair we would have been out of pocket by +£500 anyway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would rather be out of pocket for £600 than £9000! If we had gone ahead with the repair we would have been out of pocket by +£500 anyway.
And there’s the ongoing additional hassle of having to pursue it further, so I would agree your decision as a good outcome with certainty and timeliness against uncertainty and unrequired stress.

As an aside I had to use the Which CRA 2015 letter writer this week. Amazing what a difference the “ official” stance achieved in getting the company’s attention. As Corporal Jones would say “ they don’t like it up em Captain Mainwaring”!

Reactions: Dustydog and Mel
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
And there’s the ongoing additional hassle of having to pursue it further, so I would agree your decision as a good outcome with certainty and timeliness against uncertainty and unrequired stress.

As an aside I had to use the Which CRA 2015 letter writer this week. Amazing what a difference the “ official” stance achieved in getting the company’s attention. As Corporal Jones would say “ they don’t like it up em Captain Mainwaring”!
Paying the £600 also ensures CRA 2015 should something go wrong within 6 years.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts