Cracked Front Panel

May 23, 2023
Visit site
I'm looking for a bit of advice. When we took our van from storage this year there was some damp on the from from the curved window down (it's a 2017 Elddis Cursader Tempest). After looking at a few photo's of someone else's I thought it might be the seal at the top of the window, but when I got up to look, I found something a lot more serious, a massive crack in the front moulding!!! As the van is out or warrantee (as a person who's new to caravanning I can believe the rubbish warrantee conditions). I'm planning to fix this my self. My plan is to removed the inside facing board, use some plastic welding clips to join the pieces and then fiberglass over it for a water tight seal.

My key questions are
1. How so i removed the facing board as it seems to go behind the cupboard etc. Do i need to take those out as well
2. Does my plan make sense or is there a better way of doing this

I'd appreciate any advice.

20230522_172547.jpg20230522_172936.jpg

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum neilmc,

Unfortunatly, I cant help in this respect, but I understand your logic and wish you all the best in doing this work.

Presumably, in the mean time, you have put some gaffer tape on the crack.

John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Need a big shout for Kev ((Gagakev) who has experience of fixing these on his current van and his previous Fleetwood. Look for his recent thread on Panel cracks and a search should find the older one.
Good luck
Mel

Reactions: Gagakev
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Back in the 1980's I saw many caravans being constructed, but since then the manufacturers have changed their materials and assembly methods. (and still not good enough in my opinion), so I doubt what I saw has any direct relevance today.

Looking at the interior picture I would agree it seems the wall cupboards may need to be removed to gain access to the edges of the interior roof panel, But I can't tell you if the cupboards can be removed from the wall independently of anything else.

Whilst its possible a forum contributor may have undertaken this kind of job, I think I'd be inclind to find a local caravan repairer and to ask them. The worst they can do is to reuse to give advice, but they might be more helpful than you think.

Reactions: nealmc
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would suggest that you contact Premier Towing Services in Birmingham to do the repair on such a new caravan as it is on 6 years old. They come highly recommended and they quoted me £600 for my front panel.

However there may be some good news if the caravan was bought new from a dealer. Despite the caravan being a 2017, there is a possibility you may still be able to have a claim against the dealership.

Even better if the caravan was or still is on Hire Purchase. We claimed on our 2018 which was bought in Oct 2017 and we were successful.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This cracking is a known fault with Eldiss caravans and depending on when you bought it if through a dealer you might have a claim against them. Second hand purchases are still subject to to the CRA and if bought either using a credit card for part of the purchase or HP you can claim against the finance company.
To enable us to advise please let us know when it was purchased and if second hand was it from a dealer and was any finance involved. The advice will be just that though, and if you are a member of either of the two clubs they have a legal help line butd if not Citizens Advice can often help.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Back in the 1980's I saw many caravans being constructed, but since then the manufacturers have changed their materials and assembly methods. (and still not good enough in my opinion), so I doubt what I saw has any direct relevance today.

Looking at the interior picture I would agree it seems the wall cupboards may need to be removed to gain access to the edges of the interior roof panel, But I can't tell you if the cupboards can be removed from the wall independently of anything else.

Whilst its possible a forum contributor may have undertaken this kind of job, I think I'd be inclind to find a local caravan repairer and to ask them. The worst they can do is to reuse to give advice, but they might be more helpful than you think.
Disagree with the prof on this one, I would explore two other options BEFORE removing the internal wallboard.
If the OP returns I will willingly share my thoughts with him.
Being a forum contributor and yes undertaken these kind for repairs some on my own and another with a repairer doing the main repair, why Prof do you always cast doubt on another forum contributor offering advice which was all backed up with step by step pictures here on the forum.
Perhaps forum contributors shouldn't offer advice any more!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... why Prof do you always cast doubt on another forum contributor offering advice which was all backed up with step by step pictures here on the forum....
There will be several different detailed construction techniques depending on manufacturer and model, which will need their own methods to effect repairs. It's important to make that point in case a reader sees a solution and starts a job that turns out to be inappropriate.

I do not keep a detailed check on who has done what type of repair on whatever model. Perhaps you can post a link to your repair for the OP.

May 23, 2023
Visit site

Unfortunatly, I cant help in this respect, but I understand your logic and wish you all the best in doing this work.

Joh

John
I've been watching the weather closely and going to tape it up when I get a chance.

May 23, 2023
Visit site
If it means removing cupboards and that shelf, and all that that entails, I would be tempted to use a multi-tool to cut a rectangle as indicated by the red line. Some ‘T’ section plastic strip could hide the join on replacement.

View attachment 4777

Not ideal I know, but a possibility.

John
Thanks for this. I'm planning to have a look at the cupboards at the weekend but if i did have to cut it, how well would hte T section work on the curved surface?

May 23, 2023
Visit site
A bit of an update. Thanks for all the replies. I've taped up the split with white tape for now and as per some of the Advice above, started to get in touch with a few different repair companies and Elddis themselves. Still waiting for a response from Elddis to see what they say. I bought the van privately which I think leave me with an issue on both the warrantee and dealer. Its my first caravan and while we love getting away, the support and quality put me off.

I've only got one quote so far and it's from an Elddis certified repairer, (the other 2 came back with too big a job or we only repair vans we've sold). They would removed the window, plastic weld and then paint. Cost would be £900 + parts, which would include a new window c£850. I'm pretty sure I'd need to add vat to those amounts! I worried that if that's the approved approach then getting access from the inside could be a night mare.

Part of the message also suggested this was a repair they see a lot.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The estimate seems to be in a similar ball park that was quoted to Buckman, although it may not be an exact copy of the problem he had. It says a lot for the design and build quality when the repairer says “ we see a lot,,,,,”.

Good luck anyway and thanks for the update.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A bit of an update. Thanks for all the replies. I've taped up the split with white tape for now and as per some of the Advice above, started to get in touch with a few different repair companies and Elddis themselves. Still waiting for a response from Elddis to see what they say. I bought the van privately which I think leave me with an issue on both the warrantee and dealer. Its my first caravan and while we love getting away, the support and quality put me off.

I've only got one quote so far and it's from an Elddis certified repairer, (the other 2 came back with too big a job or we only repair vans we've sold). They would removed the window, plastic weld and then paint. Cost would be £900 + parts, which would include a new window c£850. I'm pretty sure I'd need to add vat to those amounts! I worried that if that's the approved approach then getting access from the inside could be a night mare.

You do not need an Elddis certified repairer to do the job as the caravan was bought privately. As said on our Buccaneer we were quoted £600 last year by Premier Towing Services to repair a very similar crack on our Elddis caravan which is an upgraded version of yours. However Birmingham may be a bit too far for you to travel?

As you bought privately unfortunately you are on your own as Elddis probably will not help as there is no contract between Elddis and yourself.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The estimate seems to be in a similar ball park that was quoted to Buckman, although it may not be an exact copy of the problem he had. It says a lot for the design and build quality when the repairer says “ we see a lot,,,,,”.

Good luck anyway and thanks for the update.
Just to add the dealership quoted me over £9000 and not £900 for the repair which included replacement of the front panel. To do a repair only was about £4000.

I wonder why the huge difference between dealership and Premier Towing Services who have an excellent reputation of doing this sort of repair? We have not used them but some other Buccaneer owners have used them and given them glowing references.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Just to add the dealership quoted me over £9000 and not £900 for the repair which included replacement of the front panel. To do a repair only was about £4000.

I wonder why the huge difference between dealership and Premier Towing Services who have an excellent reputation of doing this sort of repair? We have not used them but some other Buccaneer owners have used them and given them glowing references.
Sometimes dealers/repairers quote silly high figures because they simply don't want/need the business.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for this. I'm planning to have a look at the cupboards at the weekend but if i did have to cut it, how well would hte T section work on the curved surface?
There are two basic types, one fairly rigid which would be difficult. But there is also a very flexible one used to edge boards. This would easily cope with the curve.

Examples here.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I was actually referring to the price you quoted from Premier Towing Services which was in the same ball park as the price quoted to the OP. Not an order of magnitude such as you got from a dealer. My reading of the OP estimate is it is from an Elddis approved repairer, which isn’t necessarily a dealership.

Reactions: Buckman
May 23, 2023
Visit site
I've had another quote and this company have suggested it will need a full new panel which is £5-6,000 before they quote for any damp work! So suggesting I make a claim on my insurance. So at the moment I have a couple more quotes, have started a email to Elddis to make a claim based on it being a common issue because of a design fault and will be phoning my insurance company to understand their perspective.

Having never had anything like this before, it would be good to understand if I was to fix it myself, would allowing it to dry itself be okay once the water ingress had stopped or do I need to do something else. There's not really much of a water stain, but the moisture level is almost 40% in the worst places.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When our claim was rejected by the dealer and Elddis they stated that the crack was due to the caravan taken on poor road surfaces. I regarded this as accidental damage and put in a claim.

The assessor viewed the caravan which was at the dealership and could not find any evidence that the crack was due to accidental damage. While at the dealer he inspected a few other caravans that also had similar cracks. His conclusion was that it was a design fault.

As his report was professionally done, neither the dealer or Elddis could dispute my claim. The whole front panel was replaced after we agreed to paying £600 towards costs saving is £8600. However ours was bought from a dealer and had a full service history.

It can be repaired without the need for the front panel to be replaced so beware!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... have started a email to Elddis to make a claim based on it being a common issue because of a design fault and will be phoning my insurance company to understand their perspective...
Hello nealmc.

I wish you luck, but I strongly believe based on what you have told us, you have a very weak case and I advise you seek professional legal advice before starting your proposed action.

You will have to establish a contract existed between you and the manufacturer, and that in some way that contract was breached.

I understand you purchased the caravan privately secondhand, so no dealer involvement. I also understand the caravan was new in 2017 which makes it at least 5 years old.

If you had the name on the warranty transferred to you, and there is any warranty left, and the caravan has a full service history, the manufacture may have some liability

If you have no contract the manufacturer is not obliged to you in any way.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

Nealmc, the plastic weld method was the way I went with mine, I like you was prepared to have a go myself, and after purchasing materials and stripping the inside it became obvious it would be harder than I thought with no real access to the split so went with a professional repairer.
Before stripping out the interior the two options open to you are, one as in the post above, remove the window or my first option would be to remove the joint strap and access from there, you will need to slide a piece of 4mm plastic under the split so it gives it more bonding area.
Why they have suggested replacing the window is beyond me, why cant it be removed and replaced? With removing the joint strap you will at least have it resealed on replacing, more piece of mind.

Here's a link to my post CLICK HERE
you will also see other links in the post from other contributors on here making recommendations.

There are also pictures of the inside stripped out which shows the window frame being 6" wide (150mm) so restricting the access to the split.

If you can find a local plastic welder I think this would be an option for you, if I remember correctly it was approx £450.00 to £500.00 but he did 5 repairs around the window this also shown in pictures in my link.

Good luck.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Recently some Forumites like Gagakev have explained in detail how they have dealt with some serious structural problems especially cracked panels. One new member last week explained in detail his fix. So good in fact I suggested the PCv team print their letters. By the very nature of the magazine’s name, Practical Caravan Magazine, we should be encouraging the DIY not decrying it. PCv mag has a very clear printed statement about responsibility for advice,In each edition . That applies to the Forum too. We should all feel free to make constructive contributions. If they are wrong I am sure an early correction will be offered,.
Caravan Talk, You tube, and Elddis owners club have reams of self fix crack data. It can be done. As Practical Caravan Magazine we should be in the lead on these issues

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts