Cruise control Nissan Xtrail

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I have a 55 Xtrail and would like to retrofit cruise control. Nissan say that it cannot be done, despite the fact that a friend has a similar car with cruise fitted from new.

Has anyone done this, and if so what was involved?

All info gratefully received.

Pete

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hello Pete. Yes I fitted a cruise control kit to a Discovery from scratch.Everything came as a kit. I could choose what type of control switch I wanted...I chose "the indicator stalk" type. Detailed instructions were provided. The hardest part was the crawl underneath to attach the magnetic pick-up to the prop shaft. The actual control box had a series of "dip-switches) so that you could "tune" the system as required. Actually,in my opinion, that system was better than my current standard factory-fit setup on my Discovery.I bought the kit from a company in Northamptonshire(can,t remember name),although a firm called CONRAD ANDERSON sell them.

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that - I have looked at these types of kit on the web but it is nice to know that a competent DIYer can fit them.

I was really hoping though to get a genuine Nissan one, perhaps from a breakers, as everything is ready to fit it (place on steering wheel to plug in switches etc)

Pete

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
pete

I have CC on my 2009 xtrail. To be honest i find it a waste of time, and now after continuously coming on/off due to traffic etc, i no longer even attempt to use it.

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Ray

Is it not useful on a long motorway trip? Recently did a lot in Germany where there was not much traffic, it would have been nice to be able to move my right leg about a bit!

Pete

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Ray

Is it not useful on a long motorway trip? Recently did a lot in Germany where there was not much traffic, it would have been nice to be able to move my right leg about a bit!

Pete
pete

Of cause you could use it on a quite motorway, if you could find one.

My son said it was useful in the long 50mph motorway zones.

So i tried it, set it to 50mph (real speed 45mph?). In no time atall i was too close to the lorry in front, so off CC.

And that's how its been, 2 hour trip mainly A1, M1, tried setting CC to 80mph 3rd lane, cars constantly pulling out to over take overtaking lorries, so again off CC.

Same story on A56, CC set to 50mph, caught up the the convoy in front, short of constantly resetting the speed, were i live, on the roads i use, the density of traffic makes CC, uneconomical, and tiresome.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
pete

Of cause you could use it on a quite motorway, if you could find one.

My son said it was useful in the long 50mph motorway zones.

So i tried it, set it to 50mph (real speed 45mph?). In no time atall i was too close to the lorry in front, so off CC.

And that's how its been, 2 hour trip mainly A1, M1, tried setting CC to 80mph 3rd lane, cars constantly pulling out to over take overtaking lorries, so again off CC.

Same story on A56, CC set to 50mph, caught up the the convoy in front, short of constantly resetting the speed, were i live, on the roads i use, the density of traffic makes CC, uneconomical, and tiresome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts