Customers Rights - FAO Steve Haines

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Recently there seems to have been a jump in the number of threads where caravanners have been unhappy with a recent caravan purchase, and from the descriptions they have posted, it seems the sellers have not been as helpful as they should have been.

Obviously we have only had one side of the argument, but it does frequently seem the poster does not seem to understand that apart from manufacturer and dealer warranties, they actually have powerful legal rights that are immutable as controlled by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Similarly there seems to be considerable ignorance about the Consumer Credit Act which also has some very effective provisions to help consumers.

May I suggest Practical Caravan considers publishing some guidance on the magazines web site about both of these important pieces of legislation, and how they might be used to help caravanners who find their being given the runaround by sellers?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks like a good idea. It is not only this forum, but others where there is plenty of evidence of people being sold lemons by both some dealers and private individuals. There are sellers dumping their problems on unsuspecting newcomers.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Prof.
Steven is the forum admin, but it might be better to email magazine editor in chief Sarah Wakeley direct to enquire if perhaps the magazine might do a feature on the CRA and it's usefulness to buyers of caravans.
The magazine article would appear on the website

sarah@practicalcaravan.com

Alternatively you could write a letter to the magazine letters page with a brief outline of your suggestion and submit it to

letters@practicalcaravan.com

You never know, you might win a pair of towing mirrors if your letter is chosen as the Star Letter šŸ˜‰

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Of course , whilst I am with you guys , being synical do you think PCv will want to ā€œencourageā€ their readers to use the CRA against their advertisers?
But , yes I totally agree such an article is long overdue and will prove an asset to all readers.

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Many mags do-Autoexpress for one has a page dedicated to contacts if you have a car issue-if it's an even handed article I wouldn't expect Manufacturers or dealers to mind. Good idea imo.

Reactions: PTA

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Of course , whilst I am with you guys , being synical do you think PCv will want to ā€œencourageā€ their readers to use the CRA against their advertisers?
But , yes I totally agree such an article is long overdue and will prove an asset to all readers.
If the dealers were all open and honest when they sell caravans, especially used models, there's nothing for them to fear.
These commercial vendors have access to the tools and expertise to ensure that the goods that they offer for sale are correctly described and of merchantable quality.
If they haven't done that, an honest and fair campaign by 'Britain's Leading Caravan Magazine' might force some of them to raise their standards.
Higher standards would lead to more customer confidence which would be beneficial to the industry as a whole.
The pot luck lottery which every caravan buyer faces when buying from supposedly reputable dealer networks really has to end if the touring caravan industry is to survive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts