Daewoo Leganza

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not expecting a lot of answers here, there wasn't that many made and sold over here, but does anyone tow with one of these cars?

If so, are there any faults that I might be made aware of, apart from being laughed at by spotty teenagers in a 5 door Vauxhall Corsa (the cheek!) with a bad after market sound system.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lol,

Daewoo Leganza,

I used to own one R reg,towed a Bailey Pageant Imperial with it around 1200kg no problem,Its a very big car internal seats very comfy.Its the only car i have owned that had two vanity mirrors

with their internal lights attached.

Problems I experienced, the Air conditioning failed which cost about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lol, thanks very much for replying,

Found the car a dream to drive, the stearing was very relaxing

so easy to manouver, once you realize how big the car is.Could always find it in car parks as the rear used to stick out due to the length.With the big wheels it held the road like glue, never had any problems with gusty winds.

Its a great car to tow with been over the A66 quite a few times

going to the lakes and beyond to Scotland.

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks again, Royston. I'm quite looking forward to getting it out on the motorway on Sunday. It's my turn to drive for our golfing day, so I'm hoping it will swallow three sets of clubs and two other large brothers. Mind, if they leave their houses wearing false beards and glasses or ask to be picked up round the corner, there's going to be trouble.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lol once again,

You made me smile with your comments regarding your Brothers,

My grandson on his first trip called it a gangsters car, I suppose because of all the room you have inside.

When I was in the RAF stationed at RAF Wittering A pal was left some money from his Gran, and he went out and bought a Humber Super Snipe, A grand car in its day and we (4)used to go around

together, we used to wear suits in those days dark glasses, always opened the four doors together they were crasy days ,

He got pulled over by the local law one day with us inside,

Thet asked him for all the legal docs as they do,They then asked him why and when he had the car resprayed from black to silver, which was embarrising Has he had done a deal and had the car repainted within one of the RAF Hangers.

Reason that they asked him the question was as the car was known to them to have been owned by a local crook.

Needless to say he soon sold the car.

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It gets worse, Royston. My son is in the RAF (small world, eh) and is being posted overseas in the next few months. He has to sell his car which means he will have transport problems when he is home on leave. I offered him the Daewoo, to run around in while he's here. "No dad, that's ok, I'll hire a car when I get home (a look of incredulity slipping from his face), but thanks anyway".

And I still don't understand it. It's a nice car, freakish grill, but a nice car non the less.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Isn't badge snobbery a strange thing? I found it when I had a Lada Niva 4x4. All my workmates laughed until one of them got his Granada bogged down. The Niva pulled it free with ease. They stopped laughing then. My neighbour recently bought a VW golf, cos it has more street cred than a Skoda. It was also

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quite agree with you , unless you have driven a Daewoo Leganza

you do not know what you are missing, never had such a comfy car in my life.Only wished that Daewoo had made a estate which is what we have now.

Royston

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I had one of these in the ninties - used my company car allowance to buy a new one; auto with all the bells and whistles and I aggree it was a well equipped comfortable cruiser. I put 30k on it and traded it before the free service and warranty ran out.

I used it mainly for my daily 100 mile commute and it was 99% reliable with only the outside temp sensor replacement as a problem - didn't cure the erratic OAT readings though.

I found it had a jiggly ride, which was annoying on motorways, and the steering was a bit vague. It could have done with more power too; with four up and luggage it struggled to maintain pace without canning the engine. I believe the US version had a 2.5 engine which is probably what it needs

I guess it would be an OK towcar for weights up to about 100kg, any more and progress would become painfull and it would spend a lot of time in the lower gears - particularly on hills.

If you are on a budget and have a lightish van I reckon it will be fine - watch out for the cambelt, it has an Aussie GM derived head which needs a new belt and idler kit every 40K.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cheers, David. that sort of mirrors my own findings. It is sluggish until you get past 3000rpm, then it picks up it's skirts and flys. I had the cam belt changed before it was sold to me, even though the chances were that the old one was in fact new. I didn't know it needed an idler kit, too.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Cheers, David. that sort of mirrors my own findings. It is sluggish until you get past 3000rpm, then it picks up it's skirts and flys. I had the cam belt changed before it was sold to me, even though the chances were that the old one was in fact new. I didn't know it needed an idler kit, too.
On the belt change I have assumed similarity with Vaxuhall twin cam engines such as the very similar Vectra where a belt kit which includes the idler/tension pully and sometimes the tensioner is generally used. Hope I havn't worried you LOL but if it was done by a reputable outfit they would have used a kit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is the first time that I have heard comments from other

Leganzer users, My model was a shift gear not automatic, never found it sluggish cannot comment on the amount of revs per gear

change,Always found the stearing steady as a rock, David I bought mine just as the 3 year warrenty ran out, hence the problem with the exhaust system.

Sometimes it was a brute to start, the garage mechanic advised me to take the key out turn the key over re-insert and the car would start okay, Just one of those mysterys that cannot be explained.

Great car for the money and comfort.

Royston

TRENDING THREADS