Damp Compass Corona & lazy dealer?

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
My mother has a 3 year old Corona 556. At its first service the dealer found damp under the outer locker door. They ordered a new door but it took almost 10 months to arrive & fit. The second annual service (shortly after the new door was fitted) showed 40% damp under that area. She was told it would dry out. She's just had the third service & it's still showing 40% damp. She demanded they fix it but the service manager told her "all caravans are damp at this time of year, bring it back in June". I find this attitude appalling. To me they're just fobbing her off & more damage is being done. She puts her van on a seasonal pitch & relies on others towing it for her so it's not even convenient for her to bring it back in June! So she's thinking of getting an independent engineer in to damp test it in June & if it's no better she's gonna demand it be fixed at the end of the season. Do you think this is wise or should she demand it be fixed right now even though she may miss some time on her site?

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Glenn - it 'might dry out' as he says, but it can take a very long time as the mositure will be trapped between the inner wallboards and the outer skin. A year does seem to be a very long time though, although from what you say it hasnt got any worse.

Try a fan heater in combination for a dehumidifier for a few days and see what happens. As for the 'all caravans are damp at this time of year' comment - thats rubbish. Of course you may get some higher readings due to condensation etc, but they are not all damp at all.

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
I had a problem with water getting into the caravan on the rear garage door on my 556. They tried everything to fix it and could not solve it. It spent more time in the garage than in the storage. In the end we had to trade it in to get rid of the van it was a nightmare. The dealers are not bothered once you have bought it off them unless it is on finance then you might have some powers. Hope you get it sorted.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I have a cheap damp meter. It has 3 leds, if all three come on, then immediate action must be taken.

This was the reading i got after the truma heater leaked on the element seal. That is the reading i got in the adjacent wood work.

By applying local heat via a hair dryer, and fan heater, the wall dried out.

But it did take time.

Buy a cheap meter (or a more expensive one if you like), take a reading, make a note of it, apply the heat and see if the damp reading improves.

If not you need to take it back. I find it a lot less hassel to DIY if possible.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Glen,

Assuming the meter used to asses the moisture content of the wall was working and was used correctly, then a consistent reading of 40% is bad news.

I think it is unreasonable for the dealer to pass it off claiming it takes time - yes it will take time but more than 12 months is excessive. This is wrong.

I suggest you write to the caravan manufacture explain the circumstances and ask for their opinion of the dealers comments and action.

Equally I think you should contact trading standards. and possibly seek professional legal advice about encouraging the dealer to get the caravan properly repaired.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Glen

I assume your mum's van has a 5/6 year, damp ingress Warrentry?

Assuming that, what is the panic?

Has the damp spread? I assume not, or i would expect that the dealer would have taken steps.

I suspect when the original repair was carried out, the woodwork was not dried out before the new part was fitted.

The dealer should have allowed a few days to dry the van out prior to refit.

I have in my loft a wood beam approx 18"x6" this took on water when the roof valley leaked. I had the roof repaired.

But 18 months later the beam still shows a reading of 2 red leds in the cetre of the water stain.

So it does take time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts