Damp report possible purchase

Mar 14, 2023
Visit site
Hi, we are first time buyers for a caravan after years of camping/pop up campers. We have found the ideal spec van which is a Lunar.
It's 2018 and has a full service history. The dealers have done an up to date damp check as per the attached. There is a previous one in the service history which I have asked to see to compare, but it's not come through yet.
Reading on line it should ideally be under 15 to be considered ok.
Should this damp report put us off?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230314-125455_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230314-125455_Drive.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 62
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That's a minimalist damp report - they haven't test round the door, the skylights, the locker boxes or half the front window - all the places where a Lunar is MORE likely to leak.

Walk away, find another one.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Hard to read the nearside front side at floor but looks like a 25 which is too high, otherwise if I am wrong it looks fine, but you might ask them to check the areas Roger refers to. Depends who the dealer is and their reputation to some extent.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Agree diff to read all the numbers and the plan given but if it indicates a rear end washroom with shower in near side corner then higher ones appear to be on the floor to rear corner right of the loo and the shower floor and ceiling. Agree with Raywood that perhaps these areas should be rechecked and examined very carefully before a possible purchase? I would have expected checks on top and bottom of walls and all 4 corners to be measured and shown on the exploded diagram - if for example there is damp in the corner by the loo is this confined to the floor but affecting the lower walls as well?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023
Visit site
The highest reading is 19 around the shower base. The 23 mentioned is 13, it's just poorly noted down.

I've not seen a copy of the previous report yet to compare but only requested it a few days ago.

We have seen another lunar or the same year and that report doesn't have the % on at all, just confirming that it's passed.

We have a pop up camper which had to have a wall rebuild because of damp so I'm very wary, but as a first time buyer for a caravan I don't know what's an expected %

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our last Lunar lived up to its name and was indeed a leaky Lunar. We had very bad damp of over 60% around the front windows and around the flush refill point on the caravan. This caused the heads of the nails for the frame to rust and there was a reaction between the rust and the aluminium skin. Lunar are no longer in production after going into administration a few years ago.

Mar 14, 2023
Visit site
The other ones we like are swift Sprite major 6 or Adria altea, but typically all the ones for sale with our layout are the other end of the country whereas the Luna is local.

Would people recommend the other makes and just holding out for one to come along or go on a road trip?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As you say in your opening post it's generally accepted that a reading of up to 15 is likely to be normal. You ought to be aware that the moisture content of wood in a caravan will vary depending on the weather, and the 15% represents the maximum tolerated level as being "normal". Levels will never be zero but I do think the evidence of higher values in hard to get to places is a red flag.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The highest reading is 19 around the shower base. The 23 mentioned is 13, it's just poorly noted down.

I've not seen a copy of the previous report yet to compare but only requested it a few days ago.

We have seen another lunar or the same year and that report doesn't have the % on at all, just confirming that it's passed.

We have a pop up camper which had to have a wall rebuild because of damp so I'm very wary, but as a first time buyer for a caravan I don't know what's an expected %

Our last caravan showed the following when AWS checked after two weeks in Yorkshire with lots of rain, two wet spaniels and having to use the shower because the site decided to close the showers because of covid and gave us a £5 refund for two weeks non-usage in mid May 2021. Heavens was it wet, and pubs were not opening until Freedom Day on May 17th. But Yorkshire didn't align itself too well with that edict.

The journey there and back were very wet too, as was the intervening week before we had it surveyed. You will see the two 16%, and the comprehensive number of points checked. Both I and the AWS technician had no concerns given the prior usage. Sure enough within a week the readings were coming down, but I decided not to repeat the full AWS survey as my own meter was tracking the trend. By my meter the van had generally reduced by 2-3% prior to sale a couple of weeks later.

It was Sprite Musketeer TD.

24B44FF7-A6AB-49BF-B174-F5609456C015_1_105_c.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 15.33.10.png

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The other ones we like are swift Sprite major 6 or Adria altea, but typically all the ones for sale with our layout are the other end of the country whereas the Luna is local.

Would people recommend the other makes and just holding out for one to come along or go on a road trip?
if you like the other makes i would go and see them and you can decide which one you prefer .

Jan 14, 2019
Visit site
We have lunar solaris 2006
It hadn't been on road ever when we bought it
Secret with lunar caravan make sure you replace all sealant
We replace ours on van every 2 yrs and have never had problem with damp
Wouldn't change our lunar for any other
Big caravan at 7 1/2 foot wide 26ft long twin axle
We had alko springs on suspension fitted and don't have any drag when overtaking or being overtaken
Pulls like a dream and at 1325 Unladen weight and 1600 fully laden we have plenty of weight

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts