Dash Cams

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Any recommendations for a good buy.Reliability more important than price.

Maybe His Royal Woosieness will know if Aldi have anything in the pipe?
Thanks

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Must admit, when it comes to gadgets, the chap that runs this video review site seems to know his stuff, he's completely practical when appraising new stuff.

TECHMOAN

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We bought an Oitez from Maplin and it seems to work well. Easy to set up and worked for over a year so far. Maplin do have a few to choose from and were helpful.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Bit late I know if it's any use I have two of the E-prance dash cams, they're great, lovely and clear, helped me with a recent claim against Derbyshire county council after I hit a pot hole which totaly destroyed one of my front tyres, well worth the money, the reason I have two is one front, one rear.

Sean.

Kate Taylor

Administrator
Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

We've been testing dashcams from £60 to £200 just recently. Now you can read nine dashcam reviews online and the full group test of 17 dashcam reviews in the January 2016 issue of Practical Caravan.

We hope they help you to find the best camera for you.

5799055-rac-05-1.jpg

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I know I'm usually a bit slow on the uptake and even more so as the lesions and fuzzy bits overtake the grey cells but why would i want to record the road ahead? Unless I'm asleep I can see it through the windscreen.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Martin24 said:
I know I'm usually a bit slow on the uptake and even more so as the lesions and fuzzy bits overtake the grey cells but why would i want to record the road ahead? Unless I'm asleep I can see it through the windscreen.

Martin, In March 2014 I had a RTA if i had been wise enough before that date and bought one I wouldn't be having to go to court early next year to give evidence and answer questions, I was not at fault, if I had been using a dash camera it would have been all sorted out a long time ago....

My advice is buy one ....So now when my truck starts so does the dash cam ;)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
True, I am hoping my lads are giving Santa one for me , about £45, seems to have all that I need, on when running and shuts down when hit. Nice and small , so I cant see to much of it behind the mirror.
Hutch.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
This was ours for which you have seen the results (good quality recordings). But it looks like they are out of stock.

Looks like this one is very similar.

hi all,
BEWARE of buying such items from Amazon, as things are not always what they seem.
while I would not go so far [some would] as to call them a con, the advertisments are misleading.if you look at the listings they appear to be from a UK based company and some even have UK in the company title , but they are not. they also list a free delivery date of 6 to 10 days, and all seems above board.
however this is not the case, once you make the order and pay for the goods, the delivery date changes from 6 to 10 days to 6 to 10 weeks. when you then inquire why!!! and look closely you find the items are not in the UK but in fact are in GUANGDONG China or somewhere and although the items appear to be from a recognised maker they are in fact a Chinese copy of unknown quality, BE AWARE, of this, a couple of Christmas presents I ordered from Amazon on the 15th of November will not be delivered until after the new year. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I was aware my dash cam was a far eastern import, but at the price I paid I was just experimenting without paying the earth. We are very pleased with it and it does perfectly what the description said it would, even including auto on/off with the car. If it breaks after a couple year then so be it. I don't want/need an all-singing, all-dancing unit with GPS/Bluetooth/etc.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
hi all,
BEWARE of buying such items from Amazon, as things are not always what they seem.
while I would not go so far [some would] as to call them a con, the advertisments are misleading.if you look at the listings they appear to be from a UK based company and some even have UK in the company title , but they are not. they also list a free delivery date of 6 to 10 days, and all seems above board.
however this is not the case, once you make the order and pay for the goods, the delivery date changes from 6 to 10 days to 6 to 10 weeks. when you then inquire why!!! and look closely you find the items are not in the UK but in fact are in GUANGDONG China or somewhere and although the items appear to be from a recognised maker they are in fact a Chinese copy of unknown quality, BE AWARE, of this, a couple of Christmas presents I ordered from Amazon on the 15th of November will not be delivered until after the new year. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:.

That's why i have a Amazon prime account with 24hr delivery, yes i might pay a few quid extra for the odd item but i can order items on a Saturday and have them delivered free on the Sunday.... ;)

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi guys,
I only posted the warning because I have just fallen for the same thing, a couple of christmas presents I ordered will not come in time now, E-bay had a similar problem a few years ago, but cleaned up their act and now all listings have the country of origin and the location of every item on sale.
if you know where the items are coming from and a date for delivery, and are willing to wait 10weeks for the arrival thats fine, some items are very good some not so good, if you accept that, it is fine also but misrepresentation is not.
heed the warning and look closely at the items, or ignore it and carry on it is up to you,
as someone once said "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" now you know it is up to you.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The one thing the tests seemed to miss was the night time performance. It would have helped if this had been checked and reported on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Colin,

I've just had an ebay experience that touches on what you have suggested.

I was looking for two switch mode power supply for a project, and searched Ebay for the specification. I found a pair for £16 in P&P listed as UK stock, and ordered them.

A few days latter a package arrived with a Royal mail printed label, and a Gosport in Hampshire sender's address. But the senders name bore no relation to the lister name!

They had sent the wrong items, so I used the Ebay messaging & picture service to contact the seller and explained the situations.

The reply I got was from another name altogether again bearing no relationship to the listers name, and from the language used I conclude it was not an british citizen.

They apologised for sending the wrong items, and suggested and I donate them to friend, and accept £6 compensation.

I replied that I wanted the correct items I had ordered, and was quite prepared to send the non-conforming items back.

They came back to me a again told me to keep the wrong items and upped the offer of compensations to £8

I again said no and that all I wanted were the two PSU's I had ordered, and I also suggested teh sent a prepaid returns label so I could return the unwanted parts.

They came back and told me it was too expensive to return the unwanted parts, and I I wanted the correct parts I would have to reorder and pay them a further £2 to cover their loss of profit!!!!!!

I naturally declined, and advised them of my rights. The next thing I know is my account had been credited with the full refund of all my costs, and I was told to keep the parts.

The irony is the parts would have cost only 92p to send back to Gosport (Royal mail 2nd class)

As I needed to complete the project I have had to order a far more expensive single unit direct from Hong Kong which has arrived with no problems.

I am having to reconsider my ethos of trying to trade as locally as possible.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hello John,
glad you got sorted in the end, and while your experience was unfortunate in receiving the wrong parts in essence the transaction was correct in respect of the parts were in the UK, and supplied in the UK using the UK supply chain to transport the goods, and while the supplying seller. may have been a import company, they are subject to the UK trading laws. which is why you finally obtained a full refund, and got to keep the wrongly supplied items, [wether you wanted them or not].
this however is quite different from buying from a trader who misrepresents the listings to make it appear as though you are buying inside the UK when in fact that is not the case and the goods are on the other side of the world where UK trading laws have no impact on the transaction.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Colin found your bit about sellers, not being from the uk interesting, and the unit I was looking at after checking the vendor did indeed say , China. I did but a new battery for a laptop and that came from China, and in only 3 days, so at time it does work. Also items from France and India, all depends on how good the seller is and how good a reputation they want.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Colin found your bit about sellers, not being from the uk interesting, and the unit I was looking at after checking the vendor did indeed say , China. I did but a new battery for a laptop and that came from China, and in only 3 days, so at time it does work. Also items from France and India, all depends on how good the seller is and how good a reputation they want.

yeah, a lot depends on who the seller is, since retiring I gained a new hobby restoring old motor bikes [have 4 at the moment] but one was bought as spares for two of the others, so dosn't really count, I have bought items from all over the world, it is supprising where some of this old gear got to, but I usually deal with the seller direct, so get a good idea of what to expect, the USA is usually very good, [3 or 4 days] but the shipping costs are very high and India is also quite good, [about a week] as they have a wide replacement parts catalogue for old Brit bikes. usually made in some backyard but really good quality. [and send by air freight]
none of this is really an issue IF you know where it is coming from.
the issue is if they try to hide where the items are and make out they are semi local and will be delivered in a few days, when in fact the delivery times are a few weeks, if they said a few weeks it would be OK. but to change the delivery date once they get your money, is not OK, when there is little you can do about it as the seller is overseas,
I still live in hope the items may come before Xmas, but if they are sat in a container on a big ship in the middle of the Atlantic, there isn't much I can do about it.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You would love the supply of old bike bits from where I used to work, Nigeria, loads of old bikes, Bonnies , Nortens, , Honda 4'4 mostly ex miliatary or police, , a friend bought a flat head Harley , 12 miles on the clock for £100 , needed a new ignition coil. Rebuilt my old series 2 Landy for next to nothing.
BUT, i would never buy anything from there on E mail.
Hutch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts