Delam'd floor and replacement carpet

Apr 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

I've just discovered the floor of our Avondale Dart is delaminated, just infront of the sink, it's effected about a 3-4ft square. Initially I thought OMG this is going to cost alot, a dealer quoted 200-300quid. Having looked into it, it don't seem to be as bad as I first thought. Basically, I'd like to hear from others out there who have had the same problem and have fix this themselves. If y ou can give any advice it would be great.

My plan is to drill 6mm holes, about 6" apart, pump in a resin and plug up the holes with 6mm dowl's and put a weight on top while drying.

We have a vinyl floor and will need to pull it up. Can a new replacement carpet be used and if so, are they bought pre-cut or how do I basically fit a new carpert, do you have to use a "Caravan Carpet".

Thanks

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Brian,

I did a delamination cure on an Avondale Orestes. I would suggest you do not finish by putting weights on top - no point unless there is something under van floor to counter the weights like a jack with a piece of wood on top.

What I did was to drill a number of smaLL holes among the dowel holes and fit cabinet screws which were long enough to to go through the underside of the floor and tightened these as I proceeded with the injection of the adhesive.

I used a grinder/cutter to cut off the points of the screws which protruded through the floor - but only because they were directly above my spare wheel, otherwise I would not have bothered.

Rob S.

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi again Brian,

Just another thought. I drilled 5mm holes and fitted 6mm dowels tapped in with a hammer to be a good fit. The Dowels I bought from Homebase and cut them in half lengthways.

Rob S.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian

No you do not have to use caravan carpet. Get a piece to match your decor but do go for a felt backed one. They are easier to cut to shape and have more flexibility. If possible get the old one out and use as a template or cut to a reasonable size and start cutting in a corner not so much on show until you get the hang of it. Use very sharp stanley knife or similar. Fix down with copydex if necessary or desired and also use sparingly on any fraying edges.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
For re-carpeting I made a template using easy to handle (size wise) sheets of stiff card cut to fit around the lockers/furniture etc. well and generously taped together to withstand removing from the 'van then cut the carpet to size on my garage floor. ( Leave the garage doors open - the looks you get from passers-by who think you are carpeting the garage are priceless ! ) I use any cheap offcut of carpet so long as it suits the decor i.e. S.W.M.B.O. approves. Keep the template for future use.

Apr 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi all and thanks for your info.

We're going away this weekend in the 'van so I plan to do the delam' job next weekend. We have vinyl down at the mo and the wife don't want carpet (too much hassle to clean). I'll pull the current vinyl up, do the floor and relay the vinyl.

Thanks everyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts