destination portugal

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
two months off next year and heading off to portugal through france and spain.first time abroad with the van in at the deep end i suppose. going in march and april. travelling from the north west merseyside.anyone done this sort of megga trip with any good tips. also still debating wich ferry route to take ie hull to zeebrugge or the long drive down to dover. will be sitting waiting for loads of replies cheers in advance

pam + dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I did it in 1973 - but the advice is still good. If you can do it in small stages. I went to Italy doing exactly that last year, and so arrived relatively refreshed. By the way I always travel by myself, so there isn't a two driver option. Have you considered going out on the ferries and coming back through France or vice-versa?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Take a early evening ferry from dover drive through the night across france via paris make your first stop in the north of spain then onto portugal via madrid maybe with one more stop in spain.I last drove in portugal 2 years ago although i was also there in 1969 when the roads were bad the north is very up and down dale and your unit we,ll work hard in the hills so better to stay to the south.Campsites our good though there our exceptions and can get fully booked even at easter weekends so arrive early or dont move over that weekend holiday,Have a nice trip

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi.

Yes many people do this sort of trip. Mostly those who are retired (or like me Early retired).I have done two winter trips of 2 months into Spain/ Portugal over the past 3 years and many other long trips around Europe.

You need to be aware of a few things, particularly if it is your first time abroad with your van.

1) As you are going in March you will find that there are only a few sites open in France at that time of year.

Get the Caravan Club Continental sites directory ((about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi dave are also doing this trip next leaving april10th returning end of june it is the first time we have done along trip usually just the 2weeks in france. we have booked through the ccc at a rally in spain for the first 4 weeks then portugal for another 2or3 weeks we have booked anthing yet i think most of the sites open easter which is early this year, we are reckon to take about 4/5 to drive down the west coast of france then on to spain we shall be camping cheques for sites in portugal and france and municipal over night have a wonderfull time

Apr 24, 2005
Visit site
I did it in 1973 - but the advice is still good. If you can do it in small stages. I went to Italy doing exactly that last year, and so arrived relatively refreshed. By the way I always travel by myself, so there isn't a two driver option. Have you considered going out on the ferries and coming back through France or vice-versa?
We are planning to go to Portugal via France and Spain, for two months, in September. As we live in Devon we will be using the Plymouth - Roscoff ferry and meander slowly down to Portugal. I will post our experiences on our return.

Phil

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts