Didn't even know....?

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
On this, (and other) forums, I keep reading phrases such as " I didn't even realise the caravan was on the back". This is when extolling the towing prowess of any particuliar towcar. Admittedly on a straight piece of dead flat motorway you may momentarily forget the van is there, but in any other event don't try to tell people that you do not notice a ton or more of caravn tied to your back bumper!If this is geuinely the case either I am doing something very wrong - or the person(s) making these claims should not be towing!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm with you Rod. If someone really can't tell he's towing something behind him, he must be suffering from a neurological disorder. My car has a kerbweight of over 2000kg and yet I can sense my 750kg trailer when it's loaded up.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you Rod. If someone really can't tell he's towing something behind him, he must be suffering from a neurological disorder. My car has a kerbweight of over 2000kg and yet I can sense my 750kg trailer when it's loaded up.
Surely this must be recognised purely as a figure of speech! Lighten up you folks!!

Derek

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Quote Derek .. "Surely this must be recognised purely as a figure of speech! Lighten up you folks".

Exactly Derek. When I see people say this I read it exactly the same, a figure of speech. It looks as if people will have to proof read their posts umpteen times over in case of nitpicking.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
It's another stupid expression that always makes me smile, and it could be argued that the statement conveys exactly the opposite impression of a tow-car that the person intends - after all, if the car makes you forget your caravan is there it's put you in a very dangerous position indeed!

...but at the end of the day, like, we are in the caravan silly season, and when you think out of box and get back in the loop, you can touch base soon and incentivise yourself to make sure this doesn't really, really get you hospitalised...cool...

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that no sane and responsible driver would ever really 'forget that the caravan is on the back' when towing.

All that this represents is a figure of speech to reflect on the perceived performance of the towcar in the sense that the outfit is well matched and the handling and economy of the car are not unduly affected.

If nothing else did the fuel gauge on my towcar would definitely remind me that the caravan is hitched up :0(

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Which tow car should I go for LB - that allows me to forget that I have a van on the back?
LMAOOOO I bet you're a barrel of fun :O)

As has been pointed out, it's a figure of speech and by trying to insult peoples intelligence doesn't show you in a good light ;O)

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
What a sad lot of old sods you are if you cannot recognise a figure of speech - just like grumpy old men !!

For Lutz to say that he has a 2000kg kerbweight car and he can feel a 750 kg trailer on the back baffles me - he must have a pretty underpowered engine in the vehicle. Most of the power required to maintain momentum, once you have a trailer / caravan rolling, is the 'windage' on the front and with a realatively tall vehicle, i.e. 4x4 or MPV this resistance is minimised. Once moving with a reasonably powered vehicle it sometimes feels as if the van is 'not on the back'.

Of course you always know the van is there, if you forget then you will bound to end up in trouble. This is something I tell all new 'towwers', so come on lads lighten up.

Regards

Alan

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
What a sad lot of old sods you are if you cannot recognise a figure of speech - just like grumpy old men !!

For Lutz to say that he has a 2000kg kerbweight car and he can feel a 750 kg trailer on the back baffles me - he must have a pretty underpowered engine in the vehicle. Most of the power required to maintain momentum, once you have a trailer / caravan rolling, is the 'windage' on the front and with a realatively tall vehicle, i.e. 4x4 or MPV this resistance is minimised. Once moving with a reasonably powered vehicle it sometimes feels as if the van is 'not on the back'.

Of course you always know the van is there, if you forget then you will bound to end up in trouble. This is something I tell all new 'towwers', so come on lads lighten up.

Regards

Alan
It takes all sorts Alan and unfortunately caravanners are no different, there's some pretty sad people about :O(

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I DON'T BELIEVE IT!

When I went to school all those years ago... we were not taught how to recognise a figure of speech!

I don't know what the bl**dy worlds comming to....

I JUST DON'T BELIEVE IT!

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Lutz

With 270 hp at your disposal and only towing 750 kg, there must be something amiss. Not being intentionally rude but are you towing on muddy tracks, the brakes dragging or does your car require a good service !!

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm just surprised how insensitive some people are. No, I don't tow on muddy tracks and if the brakes were binding I'd notice that even without the trailer hitched up.

The other day while stopping at traffic lights I saw that the car next to me must have had a slow puncture. Anyway the back tyre was very soft, but not yet flat. I pointed it out to the driver who was very surprised. How anyone can drive like that without noticing it either, beats me.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I really can't believe this. Of all the troubles in the world today and the big issue for some is people using a figure of speech meaning 'it's a good towcar'.

It tells me three things. All is well with the world, there's no hope for mankind or some need to find a more interesting hobby than scouring forums to criticise how people describe topics. So sad. It takes all sorts I suppose so I don't see why caravanning should be any different.

The newspaper's just come through the door so I'm off now to count how many grammatical errors I can count that they've made.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I'm glad I'm a dog and only say woof woof!

Now some clever dick will say yap yap , howl howl, bark bark.

Well I woof woof .

OK. Anyone got a problem with that??

"Figures of speach " was part of my old English Language course . Have things changed since the 60s?

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Think its about time this topic closed. I would have thought the moderators would have taken it out as it gives any newcomers to the forum a really good impression !!!!!!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't think the moderators can 'close' a topic. This forum software appears to be more of the James Watt stream driven type - and only deletions or removal of the whole topic can be done by the moderators.

I would have thought that this is just 'boys arguing the toss'.

Perhaps, as a lady who tows, I could say that towing with a well-matched outfit is just like a comfy bra - you don't know it's there if it's a good fit! That might turn their thoughts to more interesting 'figures' than figures of speech!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts