Digital aerial or not!

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Bought a free to air satellite reciever last year and was very pleased with the reception. Now thinking of getting a small flatscreen, as the Roadstar 10" is quite deep in length and takes up most of the work surface and is a real pain. So I'm thinking of an Avtex 10" or Meos 13" which is around £50 cheaper. Just seen on a site that the Avtex W103D is no longer available......?

The main point of my ramble is about whether to stay with the satellite system or try the Avtex digital aerial. Anyone have any thoughts, please.

Norman

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We use the van's non-directional Status aerial which gives good reception in quite a lot of areas. When required we have a 54cm dish which is suitable for down to south of france too. But the problem with digital is that it is more sensitive to disruption by trees and even rain so even some digital aerials can have problems as well as dishes too. Such is progress but watching Bangla Live and Al-Jezera is the compensating bonus!!!!

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Clive

Not too sure about your choice of TV watching. The circular aerial on the van is u/s. The sat dish provides excellent picture, now I am getting used to setting it up, it doesn't take long.

Really do not want to spend even more money on another gadget, think I will stay with the dish and keep the spending down to a new tv and bracket. Just have to search for the best deal. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Norman

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
There is no such thing as a 'digital aerial'. All aerials will receive analogue or digital signals, however you can get different 'gain' aerials depending on what you need for the signal strength of the area you are in . 'Digital aerial' is a marketing ploy.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Woodlands Camper said:
There is no such thing as a 'digital aerial'. All aerials will receive analogue or digital signals, however you can get different 'gain' aerials depending on what you need for the signal strength of the area you are in . 'Digital aerial' is a marketing ploy.

Quite correct but it allows them to add on an extra 20% for using the word before "aerial". Almost like when you use the word "caravan" or "disabled"in the descriptin when describing an item.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If the question is about whether it is worth complimenting a satellite system with a Freeview terrestrial one, then my answer is yes.
Satellite is brilliant if you can get a view of the satellite and are in the near Continent near essential for UK TV.
However if there is a viable terrestrial Freeview signal then that is generally much less hassle in 'setting' up. It also can work in locations where satellite is blocked by trees etc.
We have both, I use a Status directional aerial to seek Freeview first; if that disappoints out comes the satellite kit and 5 minutes later we generally have TV.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
norman_374478717 said:
Bought a free to air satellite reciever last year and was very pleased with the reception. Now thinking of getting a small flatscreen, as the Roadstar 10" is quite deep in length and takes up most of the work surface and is a real pain. So I'm thinking of an Avtex 10" or Meos 13" which is around £50 cheaper. Just seen on a site that the Avtex W103D is no longer available......?

The main point of my ramble is about whether to stay with the satellite system or try the Avtex digital aerial. Anyone have any thoughts, please.

Norman
Very tinny sound from my 15" Avtex, replaced it with a 20" Sony, so far found the status 520? very good on all sites last year.
Found the status 315? poor, sorry cant remember the numbers.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Norman. Some years ago we bought the Maplins Free to Air in a case ,now thankfully we have not been anywhere that we cannot use the sytem , obviously if digital is good in that area then we use the vans aeial which I must say is the latest status and it works well.As a previous post says no sutch thing a digital aerial just another way way to make you spend your hard earned cash.As for a T.V for you van we have bought a 15 inch tecknika fromTescos for ours and I think it was £99 its picture perfect, and good sound and its not the first time Ive heard complaints about Avtex sound quality.
I hope this helps .
Sir Roger

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Had a 10" Avtex for nearly 5 years, quite considering selling it as I think it's been out of the box on average once a year! I know three of those times were to play a dvd for a poorly peep!

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for the replies. I may well persevere with the dish. I get fed up giving out money for another gadget that may or may not do what they say it will do. The best aerial we used on the previous caravan was the pointy one that looked a bit like a swordfish.

If I can get the sat/dish to lock on as quickly as I did last year, then I will save my money.

As to the tv, I personally think the Avtex 10" is a bit on the small side, I favour a 13" in our two berth van and have been casting an eye at the MEOS 13". There is a price difference of around £65........

We have a perfectly good tv in our ROADSTAR, but it takes up half of the worksurface and we have to work around it. When we bought it there was no such thing as a flat screen. The small flat screen on an extending bracket will be much better.

We have had to delay our first break as the plumber is coming on Monday to upgrade the C/heating.

Norman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I always take dish and use aierial, as some sites i go to, even after digital change over you cannot get TV reception without a dish,and others i use in wooded areas sat is blocked by trees, so i am covered both ways.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts