Do I really need a gas bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
Gonna be on a seasonal pitch on ehu, we only plan to fry bacon and eggs, maybe do sausage and mash and a chilli nothing fancy, the sausages could done in an air fryer.

Do I really need a gas bottle, feel a bit edgy about using one being a newbie.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You don't really "Need" a gas bottle. But, your then not using your caravan to it's fullest extent, on the maybe odd occasion where the EHU, fails and you want a cup of tea making, whilst the power get reconnected you would be kicking your self. Or you find the power has gone and you need hot water or caravan heating, you can use the gas.
Or using an outside gas BBQ.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would suggest a small gas bottle, but I don't think that they are available any more. If the site gets a bit edgy about EHU consumption then a gas bottle is a definite for aiding heating.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I would suggest a small gas bottle, but I don't think that they are available any more. If the site gets a bit edgy about EHU consumption then a gas bottle is a definite for aiding heating.
I read somewhere recently that Calor have rescinded on getting rid of the 4.5 kg bottles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gonna be on a seasonal pitch on ehu, we only plan to fry bacon and eggs, maybe do sausage and mash and a chilli nothing fancy, the sausages could done in an air fryer.

All the caravan manufacturers are looking at the electric only caravan. Technically it is possible now as Hutch has said, But the problem is you have a limited input mains supply of 16A. and some sights can only offer 10A or even only 6A in some continental sites. To put that into perspective in terms of power

16A = 3.8kW
10A = 2.4kW
6A = 1.4kW

If you try to use more power (Watts or kW) than the supply is rated for, then you will almost certainly trip the sites circuit breaker, cutting all the power to your caravan. This is usually resetable, but it might need you to get the site's personnel to come out to do it.

This is why there are some specially designed low wattage appliance designed for caravans. Low wattage usually means things take a lot longer to heat up, and in some notable cases the low wattage versions are difficult to use becasue they are so much slower or cooler.

To use mains only you would need to have a plan to turn off certain appliances if you wanted to for example boil the kettle, or toast some bread.

Some companies are looking at automatic load sharing systems which will do it for you, but it might mena turning the telly off whilst your preparing a meal.

It is right to wary of using gas, but provided all the gear is correctly fitted and maintained, its really not a problem at all. Gas is a very sensible fuel for large heating jobs if you need electricity for other items,

Even a small cylinders like the "dumpy" s 3.9Kg propane or 4.5kg Butane can produce much higher power rates than the 3.8kW of electrical power, so there isn't a restriction on the number of appliance running consecutively.

The down side is LPG tends to be more expensive to buy than electricity, and you have to be prepared to swap the gas cylinders when they empty.

You don't have to use the Calor brand of LPG, you will find that most builder merchants sell LPG under different brand names which is often cheaper than Calor!

Reactions: Richtee180
Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
Thanks all, I've bought low wattage items, and learnt how to calculate the ampage, I bought a sniper tv that can run off the 12v as well as the standard plug, a 800w kettle and a 1000w toaster.
A 600w mini hoover, the inflatable doll has a manual valve.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
All the caravan manufacturers are looking at the electric only caravan. Technically it is possible now as Hutch has said, But the problem is you have a limited input mains supply of 16A. and some sights can only offer 10A or even only 6A in some continental sites. To put that into perspective in terms of power

16A = 3.8kW
10A = 2.4kW
6A = 1.4kW

If you try to use more power (Watts or kW) than the supply is rated for, then you will almost certainly trip the sites circuit breaker, cutting all the power to your caravan. This is usually resetable, but it might need you to get the site's personnel to come out to do it.

This is why there are some specially designed low wattage appliance designed for caravans. Low wattage usually means things take a lot longer to heat up, and in some notable cases the low wattage versions are difficult to use becasue they are so much slower or cooler.

To use mains only you would need to have a plan to turn off certain appliances if you wanted to for example boil the kettle, or toast some bread.

Some companies are looking at automatic load sharing systems which will do it for you, but it might mena turning the telly off whilst your preparing a meal.

It is right to wary of using gas, but provided all the gear is correctly fitted and maintained, its really not a problem at all. Gas is a very sensible fuel for large heating jobs if you need electricity for other items,

Even a small cylinders like the "dumpy" s 3.9Kg propane or 4.5kg Butane can produce much higher power rates than the 3.8kW of electrical power, so there isn't a restriction on the number of appliance running consecutively.

The down side is LPG tends to be more expensive to buy than electricity, and you have to be prepared to swap the gas cylinders when they empty.

You don't have to use the Calor brand of LPG, you will find that most builder merchants sell LPG under different brand names which is often cheaper than Calor!
In our area Flogas seems to have a large share of the market since Calor started to mess things up. And Flogas have a Royal Warrant too, and are national. They have an advantage over Calor in that they will accept non Flogas cylinders for exchange, except for Calor cylinders.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I'd be tempted to have one, even if it's turned off or disconnected.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site

Hi Richtee.
As already stated above there is no reason you have to have a gas bottle and then there are reasons why it's an advantage.
So, let's look at it from a different angle, why might you "feel a bit edgy about using one, being a newbie?"
If you can elaborate on that some more, then maybe some guidance and reassurance can be offered.

Personally, I have never been away in my caravan without gas, even if it's not used. It's just reassuring to know it's available if I need it.
I do need gas for my BBQ though and also for the overnight stays at locations without an EHU.
Also, power cuts do happen and you wouldn't want to be unable to cook during one.:)

Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
Hi Richtee.
As already stated above there is no reason you have to have a gas bottle and then there are reasons why it's an advantage.
So, let's look at it from a different angle, why might you "feel a bit edgy about using one, being a newbie?"
If you can elaborate on that some more, then maybe some guidance and reassurance can be offered.

Personally, I have never been away in my caravan without gas, even if it's not used. It's just reassuring to know it's available if I need it.
I do need gas for my BBQ though and also for the overnight stays at locations without an EHU.
Also, power cuts do happen and you wouldn't want to be unable to cook during one.:)
Just a bit worried about the connections and understanding how to connect the gas bottle to the van and what to do when I leave it.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
For us it's a case of no gas, no caravaning!
Been on several sites where the power has been off for a couple of days. The panic of those who were relying heavily on EHU just dad to be seen.

We prefer to go off-grid. Find it's much more peaceful and relaxing and by using refillable gas bottles cheaper than relying on the orange umbilical chord.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Just a bit worried about the connections and understanding how to connect the gas bottle to the van and what to do when I leave it.
Bottles are connected via a "pigtail" (pipe with the correct connections) to the caravan pipework. If it has a bulkhead regulator it connects on to that. No bulkhead regulator then one has to be attached to the bottle.
How they connect depends on the type of bottle. Some are clip on others scree in with a left hand thread.
When you leave the van just turn the gas off by turning the valve off on the top of the bottle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can be assured the regulations that tell manufacturers how to install gas appliances and all the other items associated with them have been established, understood, and well proven over many years. Judging by the numbers of people who do caravan, it can't be too difficult to manage.

As for gas appliance safety, provided you follow the manufacturer's instructions it should be no more difficult than what you might use at home.

There are a few basic techniques, and if your not sure then do ask. When preparing to travel, you must not leave any gas appliances operating. just make sure each appliance is turned off on the normal control valves, and then close the valve or remove the clip on connection on the top of the gas bottle.

Obviously when you get on site or change a cylinder make sure the "pigtail" or regulator is correctly fitted to the gas cylinder before you try to use any gas applainces

Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
Guys, this is the gas set up, my neighbour thinks this could be an old regulator, or it should already be fixed to the caravan by the service engineer, what do you think?

Attachments

• 1000012029.jpg
    1000012029.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 1000012028.jpg
    1000012028.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 1000012028.jpg
    1000012028.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 1000012027.jpg
    1000012027.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
I'm having difficulty recognising the regulator from the photos.
My advice would be to get your service engineer back to check it out and preferably install a new regulator. Whilst they are at it I'd also get a new feed pipe.
It's gas, play it safe!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the last picture you have a "bulkhead" regulator. so called becasue it is mounted on the forward bulk head of the caravan. The output from the regulator is connected via a yellow isolation valve to the solid pipework of the caravan which feeds gas at the regulators pressure to all the gas appliances in the caravan. You should never need to disconnect the solid pipe work.

The first three pictures show the "Pigtail" LPG rated flexible pipe which you need to connect the gas cylinder to the caravan.

The open end of the pigtail with the smaller nut on it should connect to regulator on the port with a fine mesh ( on the rt hand side of the fourth picture.

The other end of the pigtail there is a large brass nut which couples it to either and old style left hand thread valve coupling on old style Butane gas bottles or as shown in the pictures and adaptor to connect to the newer style clip on cylinders.

Service life of LPG hoses

Flexible rubber style hoses for LPG in the UK must conform to BS EN16436-1, and have a manufacturing date printed on them.

Whilst there is no specific service life or exchange interval for LPG hose, it is recommended that rubber hoses are replaced after 10 years.

However, rubber hoses fitted to cabinet heaters and caravans should be replaced after 5-year service.
It is essential that LPG hose/tubing and end connections are regularly inspected and replaced if showing signs of:
• Physical damage such as - cuts or abrasion, rodent attack***, cracking, stretching, flattening,kinking and, where fitted, missing/worn sealing washers, damaged cylinder connections;
• Environmental deterioration such as - stiffening, cracking, de-lamination of outer covering,chemical degradation i.e. softening of outer coating by contact with oil;
• Hose service failure such as - blistering, soft spots, rupture and, for pre-assembled end fittings,corrosion or loosening of swaged fittings attaching hose.If any of these defects are observed the hose or tube shall be IMMEDIATELY replaced.

If you are in any doubt about the safety of any LPG gas appliance or system always consult an approved LPG fitter.

Reactions: GaryB and Mel
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Mr Grumpy
You are clearly not at all familiar with the gas system within your caravan, or how it shoukd all be set up.
Therefore I respectfully, and very strongly, advise you to contact a competent person, such as an AWS engineer, and get them to check, and if necessary, carry out any work that is required to get your gas system up, running, and most importantly safe
Gas is highky explosive in certain concentrations, and highly flammable in others, your, any everyone elses safety needs to be safeguarded.

Reactions: Raywood
Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
In the last picture you have a "bulkhead" regulator. so called becasue it is mounted on the forward bulk head of the caravan. The output from the regulator is connected via a yellow isolation valve to the solid pipework of the caravan which feeds gas at the regulators pressure to all the gas appliances in the caravan. You should never need to disconnect the solid pipe work.

The first three pictures show the "Pigtail" LPG rated flexible pipe which you need to connect the gas cylinder to the caravan.

The open end of the pigtail with the smaller nut on it should connect to regulator on the port with a fine mesh ( on the rt hand side of the fourth picture.

The other end of the pigtail there is a large brass nut which couples it to either and old style left hand thread valve coupling on old style Butane gas bottles or as shown in the pictures and adaptor to connect to the newer style clip on cylinders.

Service life of LPG hoses

Flexible rubber style hoses for LPG in the UK must conform to BS EN16436-1, and have a manufacturing date printed on them.

Whilst there is no specific service life or exchange interval for LPG hose, it is recommended that rubber hoses are replaced after 10 years.

However, rubber hoses fitted to cabinet heaters and caravans should be replaced after 5-year service.
It is essential that LPG hose/tubing and end connections are regularly inspected and replaced if showing signs of:
• Physical damage such as - cuts or abrasion, rodent attack***, cracking, stretching, flattening,kinking and, where fitted, missing/worn sealing washers, damaged cylinder connections;
• Environmental deterioration such as - stiffening, cracking, de-lamination of outer covering,chemical degradation i.e. softening of outer coating by contact with oil;
• Hose service failure such as - blistering, soft spots, rupture and, for pre-assembled end fittings,corrosion or loosening of swaged fittings attaching hose.If any of these defects are observed the hose or tube shall be IMMEDIATELY replaced.

If you are in any doubt about the safety of any LPG gas appliance or system always consult an approved LPG fitter.
Thanks, should I remove the bit at the end of the pigtail and just be left with a nut at both ends
Mr Grumpy
You are clearly not at all familiar with the gas system within your caravan, or how it shoukd all be set up.
Therefore I respectfully, and very strongly, advise you to contact a competent person, such as an AWS engineer, and get them to check, and if necessary, carry out any work that is required to get your gas system up, running, and most importantly safe
Gas is highky explosive in certain concentrations, and highly flammable in others, your, any everyone elses safety needs to be safeguarded.
Omg, calm down mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts