Do you remember........

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
My parents used to work for Mars,who made Spangles, we used to be able to buy a 1lb bag for a shilling and 12 Mars bars for a shilling, but 24 Bounty for a shilling, plus lots of other goodies.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I think there was an attempt to re-launch Spangles but it failed. I loved the old english one's too. There were several flavours which included aniseed & mint humbug. I think they also had an "Acid Drop" tube too but can't be certain.

My own personal contribution to the past is the "Flit" fly spray gun.

It was a can on the end of a bike pump and, as an 8 or 9 year old, you felt you were going into action with a flame thrower. No harmful CFC's in those days,just a lung full of chemical rain !

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I can remember the days when fly spray actually killed flies! Today they just zoom about in the spray, enjoying a shower, and then invite all their mates in too! I'm rummaging through my mum's cupboards this afternoon for something strong enough to do the trick. (Health and safety have probably insisted it be diluted so it no longer contains enough chemicals).

Same applies to nail polish remover - no longer strong enough to do it's job properly.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
and what was the name of the crisps you could get in the brown paper bags? They only came in plain flavour and you had to put your own salt on them?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Smiths Crisps used to come with their own salt, twisted up in a little dark blue paper but they weren't in brown paper, in a white and blue bag if I remember rightly! We used to buy them at the local cricket match on a Saturday - lovely. I can remember my first ever taste of cheese and onion crisps - much more natural tasting than they are now - I think in about 1959 or 1960.

Anyone remember Invalid Butter Toffee - came in a tray, brittle, broken up with a hammer, and really crunchy in your mouth?

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I remember Nibblets and of course OMO which wifes were supposed to put in the window to show Old Mans Out!

I also remember the man on a back to front tricyle selling ice cream.Of course the best memory was when you left school it never entered your head that you would not get a job,full employment.

When the AA or RAC man used to salute.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Cod liver oil and malt

Cod live oil capsules at school - used to hide mine down a knothole in the floorboard near my desk.

Desks - when you had your own.

Sun-ray treatments - for kids with rickets (I never had one, but always liked the idea).

The Chest Clinic x-ray which came around and did chest x-rays (my parents used to go every time it was in town).

'Clinic' orange juice in a bottle with a screw cap.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Valarie,

You must be around the same age as us, why because we remember exactly what you do. By the way who did you watch at cricket on a saturday afternoon ????.

Val & Frank

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The nit nurse.

Outside bogs.

School milk in winter when the bottle top was perched about 2 inches from the top on frozen milk.

Girls who had to tuck their skirts in their knickers on sports days.

Itchy backs ... the seeds of rose hips that made you itch when shoved down your back.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What about clackers? I had a pair. They got banned in the end because kids were breaking their wrists with them.

Lisa

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
They used to supply it for us at work and stamped on each sheet was ...

In the interests of economy please use both sides.
L.B.

Re Izal bum fodder. The military version had a small square next to the words 'Government issue'. Next to that appeared the imortal and hand writian 'Please insert tick after use'.

ttfn

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts