Do you remember........

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Valarie,

You must be around the same age as us, why because we remember exactly what you do. By the way who did you watch at cricket on a saturday afternoon ????.

Val & Frank
Only our local team - my uncle played for Otley - and we used to go and watch them every Saturday. My Grandma made the cricket teas, and it was the highlight of our week to eat the left overs at the end!!! Most of the time we played in the shrubbery around the field, and made dens (I was a tomboy, and most others there were boys, including my younger brother).

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We had one or two interesting 'incidents' whilst children. One was my Uncle Bob (who had put all the fireworks in a Quality Street tin) opening the lid, looking with his 'fire torch' and setting the whole shebang on fire - things shooting out everywhere - had to decamp to the kitchen and it took 15 minutes before the bangs and flashes stopped.

Another was a neighbour setting off 'jumping jacks' (remember them) - and one jumped down my brother's wellie boot. He still has the scars. I'm not really surprised the Elf and Safety have come down on fireworks!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We had one or two interesting 'incidents' whilst children. One was my Uncle Bob (who had put all the fireworks in a Quality Street tin) opening the lid, looking with his 'fire torch' and setting the whole shebang on fire - things shooting out everywhere - had to decamp to the kitchen and it took 15 minutes before the bangs and flashes stopped.

Another was a neighbour setting off 'jumping jacks' (remember them) - and one jumped down my brother's wellie boot. He still has the scars. I'm not really surprised the Elf and Safety have come down on fireworks!!
My father managed to ignite our boxes of fireworks TWICE, once in the living room. Probably a good thing that during the war he was in Reconnaisence and later the Parachute Regiment rather than Bomb Disposal.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
The nit nurse.

Outside bogs.

School milk in winter when the bottle top was perched about 2 inches from the top on frozen milk.

Girls who had to tuck their skirts in their knickers on sports days.

Itchy backs ... the seeds of rose hips that made you itch when shoved down your back.
Hi KB our "itchy powder" came from Lime trees, they use to be green like a small peach and when broken open revealing the contents, we are going back a bit are'nt we.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Weren't sweets rationed as long as sugar? If rationing on sweets finished in 1947/48 I wouldn't remember because I was too young but I can certainly remember rationing stamps for sugar - oh, and those silver coloured tins of dried milk.

My first recollection was landing at Northolt Airport in the days before Heathrow and driving home along the North Circular Road, way before the days of the M25 (not much difference really in terms of congestion).

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Remember when you could buy sweets for a farthing (I can still remember the little wren)! The first time I was ever allowed to go to a sweet shop on my own I was given my very own farthing to spend! I think this was probably about 1951 or 52 perhaps, in Gilfach Goch near the Rhonda Valley where we were staying with my uncle and aunt - and the shop was next door! I bought some liquorice bootlaces - and they seemed soooooooooooo long!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Frozen jubblies!

Milk that came in bottles with much wider necks then the present ones, and half pint bottles.

Milk jugs taken out to a church with a tap, on a cart.

The mobile shops, equipped like a french market stall, with everything from tin baths, to nails, brushes, dusters, polishes, and so on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Valerie - see you mentioning Gilfach Goch, I worked up there many times whilst employed as the grants officer in the old Ogmore & Garw UDC covering Hendreforgan and also as a building surveyor with Taff Ely Council covering Gilfach Goch area. I did the survey and quite a few drawings for the redevelopment of Blandy Terrace at the top of the valley in the mid 1970s. I remember visiting one house and ending up talking to a Mynah Bird thinking it was the owner who called me in.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Valerie " Frozen jubblies!"

Eh lass now that did bring back memories.

I remember at school in the afternoon the teacher used to put up folding beds and we used to sleep for an hour or so. everyone had a red blanket with animals on them. I had a rabbit must have been around 1952 or so.

Val & Frank

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Surely sweets were rationed until 1951?
Hi Emmerson ,you may be right as i was in thE RAF in '51 and rememember giving my card to my Mum when on leave, however regarding chocolate ie Cadbury the memory say's that the shortages were around the time of 47/8 as i truthfully can say i did not remember having sweets up till then , what we use to buy when at school were those sticks of Spanish wood and sometimes the long strands of liquorice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ref my post 3/08/07 at 3.04, I'll give you a clue: unless you had telly around Coronation time, you'll not know.(and I don't mean the street!)

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Got me on that one my Nordic friend.

What about collecting pop bottles to take to the offy for the money on them.

Milk cartons from dispenser machines.

Getting the slipper at school.

The times when there was discipline in schools.

National service(sort of goes with the last one)

For Brummies Father Christmas and Mr Holly at Lewiss'

Your parents first telly.

Your first telephone.

Your first pocket calculator.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone remember the name of the oval 1" slab of pink chewing gum in a blue/yellow/pink wrapper with white writing (mid 1970's)

I used to love that - and Old Jamaica chocolate, which I don't think you can get anywhere now

Lolly x

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts