Do you remember........

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
just found it on a website called britishcandy.com

it was called anglo bubbly - it was great and I am really glad you can still buy it - working on the Old Jamaica thing though!!

I think it was before hubba bubba?

Lolly x

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
The chocolate was called Five Boys and was made by Fry's, who also made Turkish Delight, Tiffin bars and Cocolate Creme.

I remember going to Saturday morning cinema and feeling really cocky asking the lady at the sweet counter how much the Penny Arrow bars cost!!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
any body remember condensed milk in cans ,powdered egg ,eating bread & dripping ,packet 4 domino cigarettes ,lead soldiers ,cutting the cornflake box to fit inside you shoes

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Valerie - see you mentioning Gilfach Goch, I worked up there many times whilst employed as the grants officer in the old Ogmore & Garw UDC covering Hendreforgan and also as a building surveyor with Taff Ely Council covering Gilfach Goch area. I did the survey and quite a few drawings for the redevelopment of Blandy Terrace at the top of the valley in the mid 1970s. I remember visiting one house and ending up talking to a Mynah Bird thinking it was the owner who called me in.
Loads of years ago my father bought a house in Gilfach Goch, probably about 1937/38 - I know he had it during the war. Eventually, I think about 1949/1950 he sold it for

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I remember the "slipper" at school, but in Wales it was a "Dap" , basically a plimsoll. If you'd really blown it there was the cane or the ruler across the hand. Other cruel and unusual punishments were standing facing the wall with your hands on your head and having the board rubber thrown at you.

Happy Days

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
any body remember condensed milk in cans ,powdered egg ,eating bread & dripping ,packet 4 domino cigarettes ,lead soldiers ,cutting the cornflake box to fit inside you shoes
I can remember condensed milk in cans.( thank goodness, it was only last week I saw them in the supermarket !)

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
There's a pub where we live now, which does Beef, Pork or Lamb sandwiches, with 'mucky dripping' instead of butter, a bowl of onions in vinegar, a free (very small) bowl of hot soup - and all for a

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Baking powder powered submarines free with breakfast cereals.

Slinky's

Clever Stuff

Balsa Wood plane kits

Dope ( the original !)

Hoola Hoops ( the original !)

Spinning Tops

Gyroscopes

Tanks made out of cotton bobbins, elastic bands and a lollipop stick

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Baking powder powered submarines free with breakfast cereals.

Slinky's

Clever Stuff

Balsa Wood plane kits

Dope ( the original !)

Hoola Hoops ( the original !)

Spinning Tops

Gyroscopes

Tanks made out of cotton bobbins, elastic bands and a lollipop stick
We made ours from a cotton bobbin with notches cut into the edges, elastic band, 2 slices of a candle and 2 matchsticks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I still eat dripping sandwiches. Herself makes it sometimes, but otherwise we buy in the market. Wonderful with a bowl of oxtail soup on a cold day!Fair puts hairs on your chest.

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
We used to get wonderful pork dripping with jelly at Doncaster market - probably you still can - brilliant on toast on a cold morning. No chance here in Scotland!!

Barry

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Emmerson,

"I still eat dripping sandwiches. Herself makes it sometimes, but otherwise we buy in the market. Wonderful with a bowl of oxtail soup on a cold day!Fair puts hairs on your chest".

And FUR on your Arteries.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frank, I'm too old to be bothered about that now. All of my recent male ancestors have died young from heart disease. I'm now older than most of them were when they died, so I'm now on bonus time. I had my scare when I was only 39, so, again, I'm on bonus! We all die from something, so I live for NOW.

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Yes, only they're called something else now! Vinegar crisps are still available, and you can buy 2 ounces of rainbow drops from our local shop (they just don't taste the same, and your tongue's not as red when you've eaten them all).
Do you mean the Jolly Rancher (think that's what they're called anyway) things Valerie?

Not as nice as Spangles used to be though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mel - you made a comment about having the "Dap" in school. Have you any idea where the word "Daps" came from? I was told that it was an abbreviation of Dunlop All Purpose Shoes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Valerie - see you mentioning Gilfach Goch, I worked up there many times whilst employed as the grants officer in the old Ogmore & Garw UDC covering Hendreforgan and also as a building surveyor with Taff Ely Council covering Gilfach Goch area. I did the survey and quite a few drawings for the redevelopment of Blandy Terrace at the top of the valley in the mid 1970s. I remember visiting one house and ending up talking to a Mynah Bird thinking it was the owner who called me in.
There was a house in High Street (25?? cannot remember the exact number) which was a local authority small dwellings acquisition house. The tennant there was a widower who lived downstairs as the roof was leaking. His son and family were in Belfast in the army. He requested a transfer of house for his daughter in law and family to return to Wales for safety. The council refused to rehouse him and then the house mysteriously caught fire so he had to be rehoused. Surprising what a little bit of luck can do (not saying by any means that the fire was intentional)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts