Do you trust Tyre Depots to correctly inflate your tyres.

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Unfortunately after many years in the motor trade I find that when you tell somebody something, they dont listen.

When I bought my caravan last year they were supposed to service it. ( should have checked what their verision of "service" meant,

Anyway took the caravan to storage and on looking at the tyres thought that they bulged a bit, but when I tried to get the valve caps of they were stuck on (used a pair of grips and a 8mm socket) Which also meant that as part of the service they could not have checked the tyre pressures.

So I took the wheels off and took them to a tyre depot and had new valves fitted and asked if the tyre pressures could be 65 as recommended, After I fitted them I checked the tyre pressures myself and found that they had done them to 55,

When I had a caravan service 9 months later the engineer said that both of the tyres needed replacing due to cracks, after I fitted the wheels on the caravan I again thought that the tyres looked under inflated and they were both at 53 despite me saying 65.

The tyres which had been replaced were new in 2019 so could the cracking in the tread be due to under inflation over 4 years ?

So basically everybody should check your tyre pressures.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I have a set of pressure sensors on the caravan tyres, and check them with a proper pressure gauge before each journey.

As for the original question - yes, the tyre depot I usually use (Formula One Autocentres) I trust to do what they tell me they've done - I've used them for years and never had a bad experience.

Other tyre depots I most definitely would not - there's one big chain that I tried several different outlets in my early days of driving, and I finally decided I'd drive home on bare rims rather that trust them again (slight exaggeration!). As I said, it's not any one outlet of that chain, it was several different ones.

No names, no pack drill but in our household they're known as Krap-Fit

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As the driver you are required by law to ensure your vehicle is roadworthy, and that should include regular checking of tyres (pressure and condition).

To answer your question about trusting tyre depots to correctly inflate, You "should" be able to trust them as they are "expert" in the field, and should check they have used the correct torque on the nuts/bolts and inflation pressure.

But like you I have always been a sceptical about them following specific instructions, so I have either closely monitored what they do What torque have you used? and seen them check each fastener, and what pressure have you inflated them too?)

The local company I tend to use knows me and are quite happy to allow me to do this, and in fact the owner told me they now make it part of their normal process to confirm the values used with the person presenting the vehicle.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Having had a wheel come off a Peugeot 406 on the M6 in 1999 after just having had the tyres changed I always check both wheel bolts and pressures! Two years ago I had two front tyres replaced locally and on checking both of the locking bolts were loose. “Impossible” they said. I go elsewhere now…..

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Worth buying 12v or battery air compressor. I use Ryboi one that shares battery with drill for legs and vacuum for keeping van clean. Lot easy to inflate your van and car tyres at home than towing to a garage. NB car tires should be increased to near max when towing.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Also if not using van for extended periods (months) still good idea to move it so same part of tire isn't always against ground. Will deform tire eventually.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Worth buying 12v or battery air compressor. I use Ryboi one that shares battery with drill for legs and vacuum for keeping van clean. Lot easy to inflate your van and car tyres at home than towing to a garage. NB car tires should be increased to near max when towing.
What do you mean about car tyres near to max when towing?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would assume this is the setting the makers suggest for fully loaded longer trips. Never had a problem with tyres fitted,but would normally use one where my CAMH card gets me a discount.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
.... NB car tires should be increased to near max when towing.
Do you mean the tyres maximum pressure rating ? In which case no.

Vehicle manufacturers normally give the recommended tyre pressures for towing, either on the tyre pressure plate, or in the handbook.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have a set of pressure sensors on the caravan tyres, and check them with a proper pressure gauge before each journey.

As for the original question - yes, the tyre depot I usually use (Formula One Autocentres) I trust to do what they tell me they've done - I've used them for years and never had a bad experience.

Other tyre depots I most definitely would not - there's one big chain that I tried several different outlets in my early days of driving, and I finally decided I'd drive home on bare rims rather that trust them again (slight exaggeration!). As I said, it's not any one outlet of that chain, it was several different ones.

No names, no pack drill but in our household they're known as Krap-Fit
Strangely we had a similar issue and now avoid them like the plague! They really rip us off well and truly, but we were naive in those days and Internet was in its infancy.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I tend not to trust airline pressure gauges. We had one at work which was attached to a small portable compressor, everyone used it because it was convenient. After using the gauge to check the pressures on the motorcycle I was using for the day I had to add a few psi to them. However, I noticed it felt a bit unusual on the road. On returning to base later on I checked the tyre pressures using using the pocket gauge I carried in my kit. To my surprise, I found nearly 70psi in the front and over 80psi in the rear. Thinking my gauge was grossly innaccurate I went and borrowed a callibrated gauge used by our Collision Investigation Unit. This gauge has to be routinely checked for accuracy for legal reasons. That showed I had 67psi in the front and 78psi in the rear, no wonder the bike felt odd!
I then tried the airline pressure gauge again and it was reading 36 front and 42 rear which is what it should be. I dropped the pressures accordingly using the calibrated gauge and checked my own gauge which was reading about 3 psi higher than the calibrated gauge. So, making a mental note of that I always used my own gauge from then on. It's hardly surprising though that the airline gauge was so far out considering the rough handling it had received, being left out in all weathers and being thrown across the yard.

Regarding TPMS, I had a fright on my recent trip down South to Cornwall. I use the TyrePal system on my caravan and I'd checked and adjusted the pressures to 65psi which TyrePal confirmed. However, I hadn't taken the vagaries of the British weather into account when I did the tyre pressures. We started off early in the morning and the weather was overcast. As I was travelling over Bodmin Moor on the A30 the Sun was out and the temperature outside was showing around 25° C. Suddenly, the TyrePal high temperature alert started to chime and the tyre pressure was showing 76psi. Fearing I'd picked up a nail or something I pulled into a layby and checked for any signs of a puncture but, found nothing. I'd clearly adjusted the tyre pressures on a much cooler day so, as the weather improved and warmed up the TyrePal's safety limits was exceeded.
We sat for about twenty minutes after which the temperature dropped and the alarm didn't sound again during the journey down to the Lizzard. The following day, which was glorious, I checked the tyre pressure just for peace of mind and they were showing 72°C so I dropped them to 65psi.
It's a real faff to have to adjust tyre pressures to take into account ambient temperature but it just goes to show how the weather can affect your tyre pressures.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I tend not to trust airline pressure gauges. We had one at work which was attached to a small portable compressor, everyone used it because it was convenient. After using the gauge to check the pressures on the motorcycle I was using for the day I had to add a few psi to them. However, I noticed it felt a bit unusual on the road. On returning to base later on I checked the tyre pressures using using the pocket gauge I carried in my kit. To my surprise, I found nearly 70psi in the front and over 80psi in the rear. Thinking my gauge was grossly innaccurate I went and borrowed a callibrated gauge used by our Collision Investigation Unit. This gauge has to be routinely checked for accuracy for legal reasons. That showed I had 67psi in the front and 78psi in the rear, no wonder the bike felt odd!
I then tried the airline pressure gauge again and it was reading 36 front and 42 rear which is what it should be. I dropped the pressures accordingly using the calibrated gauge and checked my own gauge which was reading about 3 psi higher than the calibrated gauge. So, making a mental note of that I always used my own gauge from then on. It's hardly surprising though that the airline gauge was so far out considering the rough handling it had received, being left out in all weathers and being thrown across the yard.

Regarding TPMS, I had a fright on my recent trip down South to Cornwall. I use the TyrePal system on my caravan and I'd checked and adjusted the pressures to 65psi which TyrePal confirmed. However, I hadn't taken the vagaries of the British weather into account when I did the tyre pressures. We started off early in the morning and the weather was overcast. As I was travelling over Bodmin Moor on the A30 the Sun was out and the temperature outside was showing around 25° C. Suddenly, the TyrePal high temperature alert started to chime and the tyre pressure was showing 76psi. Fearing I'd picked up a nail or something I pulled into a layby and checked for any signs of a puncture but, found nothing. I'd clearly adjusted the tyre pressures on a much cooler day so, as the weather improved and warmed up the TyrePal's safety limits was exceeded.
We sat for about twenty minutes after which the temperature dropped and the alarm didn't sound again during the journey down to the Lizzard. The following day, which was glorious, I checked the tyre pressure just for peace of mind and they were showing 72°C so I dropped them to 65psi.
It's a real faff to have to adjust tyre pressures to take into account ambient temperature but it just goes to show how the weather can affect your tyre pressures.
On our cars I always wait until any sun is off of the tyres as it will selectively heat one side then move on to the other as the day progresses.

I cannot think when I last used a commercial airline gauge, or even an airline. I always use my own gauges. I have a Tiretech mechanical rotary gauge, Ring Digital, and PCL pencil gauge. Always carry a gauge or two in the glovebox.

Reactions: RogerL
Jun 6, 2006
Visit site

Tyre pal recommend a higher limit of + 20% and a lower limit if 15% so your 76 psi would still been bellow the 65 psi + 20% (assuming I have worked it out correctly 🤔)

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Do you mean the tyres maximum pressure rating ? In which case no.

Vehicle manufacturers normally give the recommended tyre pressures for towing, either on the tyre pressure plate, or in the handbook.
Tire plate gives lightly loaded operating pressure (33psi front and rear for my car) and max load pressure.(35psi front & 40 rear).
That 100kg drawbar weight of your caravan counts as 100kg of additional vehicle payload mass. Add 4x75kg adults, 60kg luggage, 33kg fuel(45l fuel) =493kg of payload. My vehicle has 600kg rating. Normally only 2 of us so more like 300kg with our caravan's 60kg drawbar mass.

Here good article payload masses when towing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Tire plate gives lightly loaded operating pressure (33psi front and rear for my car) and max load pressure.(35psi front & 40 rear).
That 100kg drawbar weight of your caravan counts as 100kg of additional vehicle payload mass. Add 4x75kg adults, 60kg luggage, 33kg fuel(45l fuel) =493kg of payload. My vehicle has 600kg rating. Normally only 2 of us so more like 300kg with our caravan's 60kg drawbar mass.

Here good article payload masses when towing.
With AU and US websites there's often not a direct read across to U.K./EU specifications and regulations. Our towing specs are identified on the cars data plate and are the only ones applicable in law. But 200kg noseweight ……..awesome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts