Does the policy holder have to be the “tower”?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I am not aware of any personal lines U.K. Motor Insurer who issues policies in joint names. It has has always been the Policy holder plus named drivers. In the event of the Policy holders death the cover ceases immediately and even a named driver will not , technically , be covered. A phone call to the Insurer will be essential if cover is required by the named driver.
Sorry to repeat a lot of what has been said but there are a ver good reasons in Law. Eg Motor Insurance is one of two that is mandatory by way of a Statute Law.
Thanks for clarifying that. It never occurred to me ( as named driver not policyholder); that if OH “goes to join the choir invisible” ( other dead parrot references are available) , then I cannot simply jump in the car to pop to the undertakers.
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am not aware of any personal lines U.K. Motor Insurer who issues policies in joint names. It has has always been the Policy holder plus named drivers. In the event of the Policy holders death the cover ceases immediately and even a named driver will not , technically , be covered. A phone call to the Insurer will be essential if cover is required by the named driver.
Sorry to repeat a lot of what has been said but there are a ver good reasons in Law. Eg Motor Insurance is one of two that is mandatory by way of a Statute Law.
I wonder what happens if you a named driver on one policy and the policyholder on another i.e. family has two cars. If a policy holder some insurance companies offer third party cover for the policy holder if they are driving another vehicle. Thus although a named driver, you still have insurance in place and are nor illegal.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder what happens if you a named driver on one policy and the policyholder on another i.e. family has two cars. If a policy holder some insurance companies offer third party cover for the policy holder if they are driving another vehicle. Thus although a named driver, you still have insurance in place and are nor illegal.
My wife is a policyholder for one car and I’m the named driver. Vice versa for the other car. Both our policies allow driving if another car but only with third party risks. We are now really down in the weeds wrt the OPs question.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My wife is a policyholder for one car and I’m the named driver. Vice versa for the other car. Both our policies allow driving if another car but only with third party risks. We are now really down in the weeds wrt the OPs question.
Not really because one may decide to become an angel while you are out and about. I have learnt something that I was not aware of regarding being the named driver. I bet not many people are aware of what happens if the policyholder passes.

This has to be one of most informative threads that i have read recently.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
It has been interesting and is still relevant to my original question in a roundabout kind of way, so no probs from me!
Buying caravan insurance is a nightmare though!
I went looking for 5 star defaqto rated policies and got some quotes, all of which pretty much said we have to have a monitored tracker - ok, willing to shell out for that given the caravan value etc… then go to trust pilot reviews and EVERY SINGLE ONE has bad reviews when it comes to claiming. It’s just insane.
Admittedly, some of the complaints are also a bit mad (some guy complaining that his unmonitored tracker doesn’t count - I mean, really??) but most seem reasonable complaints. Even caravanguard has their fair share…
*sigh*

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It has been interesting and is still relevant to my original question in a roundabout kind of way, so no probs from me!
Buying caravan insurance is a nightmare though!
I went looking for 5 star defaqto rated policies and got some quotes, all of which pretty much said we have to have a monitored tracker - ok, willing to shell out for that given the caravan value etc… then go to trust pilot reviews and EVERY SINGLE ONE has bad reviews when it comes to claiming. It’s just insane.
Admittedly, some of the complaints are also a bit mad (some guy complaining that his unmonitored tracker doesn’t count - I mean, really??) but most seem reasonable complaints. Even caravanguard has their fair share…
*sigh*
The two Clubs have a good reputation for meeting claims. Albeit probably not the cheapest policies on offer. But my philosophy with insurance is that it’s when things go wrong that you need a good insurer. I had experience of CMHC when required and they were excellent.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Generally the cheapest insurance policies are cheap for a reason! they're great at collecting payments and make setting up a policy quick and simple which are the major factors that inform on the user satisfaction scores but often poor on paying out and in a timely manner.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Again you have to be careful, becasue there are other possible clauses that migt catch you out. Many fully comprehensive policies do allow the policy holder to drive another vehicle (DOC) but often its limited by clauses like;

The policyholder may drive another vehicle under third party where they do not own the vehicle or have rented it.

Don't ask me why, becasue I don't know.

I suggest you read this

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Again you have to be careful, becasue there are other possible clauses that migt catch you out. Many fully comprehensive policies do allow the policy holder to drive another vehicle (DOC) but often its limited by clauses like;

The policyholder may drive another vehicle under third party where they do not own the vehicle or have rented it.

Don't ask me why, becasue I don't know.

I suggest you read this
Often those clause are only applicable when the owner has given permission and some restrict who can collect a car that’s been impounded.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Cars being driven on the basis of third party cover from another policy also (normally) have to have cover in their own right.

Eg I can drive my daughter's car on a TPO basis on my LV policy but only because she also has cover for it.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
Generally the cheapest insurance policies are cheap for a reason! they're great at collecting payments and make setting up a policy quick and simple which are the major factors that inform on the user satisfaction scores but often poor on paying out and in a timely manner.
I get that, but some of these cheaper policies are with big companies - Ripe is through Aviva, EverSure is through Binnacle (which is a subsidiary of Compass) ... it's just a minefield.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I guess most couples with two cars have one as the named driver , one as the policyholder on one car and vice versa the other. Apologies Clive and Prof had said this earlier.

As correctly stated most but NOT all comprehensive policies allow the Policyholder only to drive other cars but with cover limited to the U.K. Statutory minimum third party property damage and bodily injury.

Prof touched on it. It is worth noting a Policy of car Insurance is a legally binding contract between two party’s . The Proposer( Policyholder ) and the Insurer. Remember the old proposal forms? You signed a declaration at the end. This was your affirmation you accepted the Insurer’s T&Cs and thus the contract of insurance became legally binding. If you die the contract ceases. Where couples each have a car best each one becomes the policyholder for one of the cars so no issues will arise when doom and gloom comes.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I get that, but some of these cheaper policies are with big companies - Ripe is through Aviva, EverSure is through Binnacle (which is a subsidiary of Compass) ... it's just a minefield.
But just because they are with big companies does not guarantee good service when you need it. Some of these "offshoots" tend to do much by the web, and are difficult to get to talk to anyone., and customer services are not in UK. One of my worst experiences with an an insurer was with the now defunct Norwich Union.

Reactions: redelf and Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Your caravan is almost new so without question you will be well advised to go for the widest cover with full new for old replacement. Many of the Insurers you have looked at boast they are Defaqto rated.

What does that really mean?

Not a lot imo. Just a very clever marketing trick to woo you. The cover may read well but it has nothing to do with claims attitude.

I can say with first hand experience last year , The Caravan and Motorhome Cover dealt with my damage claim brilliantly. Their approved repairer Martin and Sam Lovell of Highbridge Somerset repaired my old girl to as new state. The whole experience was painless and professionally handled.

Now go somewhere cheaper by all means but stick rigidly to all the small print. One single small breach and you will not be paid.
The two Clubs attitude is more flexible and dare I say reasonable in approach to problems. Obviously a breach of security will end in tears.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
Your caravan is almost new so without question you will be well advised to go for the widest cover with full new for old replacement. Many of the Insurers you have looked at boast they are Defaqto rated.

What does that really mean?

Not a lot imo. Just a very clever marketing trick to woo you. The cover may read well but it has nothing to do with claims attitude.

I can say with first hand experience last year , The Caravan and Motorhome Cover dealt with my damage claim brilliantly. Their approved repairer Martin and Sam Lovell of Highbridge Somerset repaired my old girl to as new state. The whole experience was painless and professionally handled.

Now go somewhere cheaper by all means but stick rigidly to all the small print. One single small breach and you will not be paid.
The two Clubs attitude is more flexible and dare I say reasonable in approach to problems. Obviously a breach of security will end in tears.
I have to admit from what I’m hearing, the CAMC cover is the one I want to go with. We are already members. I probably will go with them tbh I just have to make peace with the fact that they are 100% more expensive!

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
I have to admit from what I’m hearing, the CAMC cover is the one I want to go with. We are already members. I probably will go with them tbh I just have to make peace with the fact that they are 100% more expensive!

Just be aware that insurance from CAMHC is not exactly the same as insurance provided by 'normal' insurance companies.

They moved to a 'mutual' model some time ago.

It doesn't make a huge difference really (and we have always been with them in recent years) but just be aware of what you will be buying.

This extract from my policy info. explains it.

Caravan Cover is not insurance but provides similar cover to caravan insurance; in that, those who take out The Club’s Caravan Cover have their contributions pooled together into a fund and those pooled funds are then used to pay for only valid and accepted claims made by Club Members. Where Caravan Cover differs from insurance is that unlike insurance; whereby the provider ‘promises’ to pay a specified amount of money in the event of a loss or damage, there is no obligation on the Club to pay a claim. This is why it is called a ‘discretionary’ mutual. The Club has the discretion to pay more, be more flexible than an insurer might be, and if we don’t or can’t pay for any reason, Cover holders have the protection of The Club’s Group Insurance Policy.

Reactions: redelf
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would add that this has been discussed many times on the Forum and as far as the Customer is concerned you get all of the safeguards on the CMHC Cover policy that you would get on a conventional insurance policy.
IE Complaints Procedure, Ombudsman and FCA if it should ever be required, and it is also financially underpinned too.

Reactions: redelf and Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Plus one for Clive
Also the entire scheme is managed and operated by CAMC long serving Insurance Broker Devitt who are also strictly governed by the FCA , Ombudsman etc.
Further there is a safety valve reinsurance policy in place in an off shore Captive to fully protect all members of the scheme.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
Just be aware that insurance from CAMHC is not exactly the same as insurance provided by 'normal' insurance companies.

They moved to a 'mutual' model some time ago.

It doesn't make a huge difference really (and we have always been with them in recent years) but just be aware of what you will be buying.

This extract from my policy info. explains it.

Caravan Cover is not insurance but provides similar cover to caravan insurance; in that, those who take out The Club’s Caravan Cover have their contributions pooled together into a fund and those pooled funds are then used to pay for only valid and accepted claims made by Club Members. Where Caravan Cover differs from insurance is that unlike insurance; whereby the provider ‘promises’ to pay a specified amount of money in the event of a loss or damage, there is no obligation on the Club to pay a claim. This is why it is called a ‘discretionary’ mutual. The Club has the discretion to pay more, be more flexible than an insurer might be, and if we don’t or can’t pay for any reason, Cover holders have the protection of The Club’s Group Insurance Policy.
Yep understood. It’s actually why I think it’s probably a better option - it feels like the club will have a better understanding of what they should pay out for than the insurance companies…

Reactions: Dustydog

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Yep understood. It’s actually why I think it’s probably a better option - it feels like the club will have a better understanding of what they should pay out for than the insurance companies…

Indeed.

And despite suggestions above that I may be suggesting it may not offer at least equivalent cover.

I wasn't.

If I wasn't happy I wouldn't be insured with them for many years.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
I would add that this has been discussed many times on the Forum and as far as the Customer is concerned you get all of the safeguards on the CMHC Cover policy that you would get on a conventional insurance policy.
IE Complaints Procedure, Ombudsman and FCA if it should ever be required, and it is also financially underpinned too.

Having only been on the forum since May this year and not having forensically analysed previous posts on the subject - I felt it was important to point this out to the OP who is also relatively new.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I do not know the full circumstances, but on another forum while towing another car hit the caravan causing the caravan to jack knife and car was also damaged. The other car never stopped. Apparently the person is having hassles claiming, I think, from the insurance for damage to the road and the clearing up operation etc?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Having only been on the forum since May this year and not having forensically analysed previous posts on the subject - I felt it was important to point this out to the OP who is also relatively new.
I had no problems with your post but there have been quite a number of earlier posts on other threads seeking to question or disparage the CMHC Caravan Cover. My aim was just to assure the OP that CMHC Caravan Cover is very satisfactory in case they may come across earlier threads..

Reactions: Dustydog and redelf
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had no problems with your post but there have been quite a number of earlier posts on other threads seeking to question or disparage the CMHC Caravan Cover. My aim was just to assure the OP that CMHC Caravan Cover is very satisfactory in case they may come across earlier threads..
I don't think anyone has knocked the Caravan Cover for claims as it is probably very good, but you are paying a higher premium than with other well respected proper insurance companies. When we claimed from CC many years ago, the following year the premium almost doubled and was close to the price of the repair to the unit.

CAMC was over £100 more expensive than Caravanguard and one needs to remember that with the CAMC cover you do not pay premium tax which was supposed to be a saving. If tax had been added the premium would have cost probably about £150 more!

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site

Fair enough, I thought I'd already done that though by pointing out I already have the cover and what it's under pinned by.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts