Does the policy holder have to be the “tower”?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
I don't think anyone has knocked the Caravan Cover for claims as it is probably very good, but you are paying a higher premium than with other well respected proper insurance companies. When we claimed from CC many years ago, the following year the premium almost doubled and was close to the price of the repair to the unit.

CAMC was over £100 more expensive than Caravanguard and one needs to remember that with the CAMC cover you do not pay premium tax which was supposed to be a saving. If tax had been added the premium would have cost probably about £150 more!

They also seem to get very expensive if your caravan is over five years old like ours and you want to have new for old cover for the 'van.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I don't think anyone has knocked the Caravan Cover for claims as it is probably very good, but you are paying a higher premium than with other well respected proper insurance companies. When we claimed from CC many years ago, the following year the premium almost doubled and was close to the price of the repair to the unit.

CAMC was over £100 more expensive than Caravanguard and one needs to remember that with the CAMC cover you do not pay premium tax which was supposed to be a saving. If tax had been added the premium would have cost probably about £150 more!
It goes beyond premiums.
A few years ago I got a quote from the one you mention. They were £120 cheaper than CAMC. But there was a big catch. They didn’t like my mates farm for storage, there are 60 there, they wouldn’t cover me if I parked overnight or longer at my own home. So if I had gone to the CaSSoa rated one my storage would have increased by £350!
This for me I emain with CAMC.

Strange that not many have recounted what a good claim experience they have enjoyed with the “others”?.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It goes beyond premiums.
A few years ago I got a quote from the one you mention. They were £120 cheaper than CAMC. But there was a big catch. They didn’t like my mates farm for storage, there are 60 there, they wouldn’t cover me if I parked overnight or longer at my own home. So if I had gone to the CaSSoa rated one my storage would have increased by £350!
This for me I emain with CAMC.

Strange that not many have recounted what a good claim experience they have enjoyed with the “others”?.
Hopefully we never have to submit a claim! The only storage locations near us are all CASSOA rated. We have no intention of bringing the caravan home due to narrow roads etc so no issue there.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
My only claim on Caravan insurance was in the late 90's. Our 'van was stolen from a local farm site.

I can't recall who it was insured with, it may have been RSA or the Pru. (from memory).

The claim was dealt with efficiently and fairly.

The hit however came at renewal time when the quote for renewal from them was massively loaded and I had to go elsewhere - I think that is when I first insured with CAMHC.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They also seem to get very expensive if your caravan is over five years old like ours and you want to have new for old cover for the 'van.
I guess that is understandable. If they had to replace our caravan tomorrow on new for old, the insurer would be paying nearly £17000 more than we paid for our 2018 Buccaneer.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
I guess that is understandable. If they had to replace our caravan tomorrow on new for old, the insurer would be paying nearly £17000 more than we paid for our 2018 Buccaneer.
It is, however I have just done a quote with Caravan Guard on a new for old basis for our six year old 'van and it only comes out at a few quid more than CAMC's standard (market cost replacement) cover for it. (our insurance is due shortly).

I'm still reluctant to swap though from CAMHC.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It is, however I have just done a quote with Caravan Guard on a new for old basis for our six year old 'van and it only comes out at a few quid more than CAMC's standard (market cost replacement) cover for it. (our insurance is due shortly).

I'm still reluctant to swap though from CAMHC.
Why not enquire somewhere how good the opposition claims service is? That may help you decide?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cars being driven on the basis of third party cover from another policy also (normally) have to have cover in their own right.

Eg I can drive my daughter's car on a TPO basis on my LV policy but only because she also has cover for it.
In the UK the statutory insurance requires the driver to be insured, The policy does not belong to the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I get that, but some of these cheaper policies are with big companies - Ripe is through Aviva, EverSure is through Binnacle (which is a subsidiary of Compass) ... it's just a minefield.
Whether its a small or large company it does not matter, low cost policies almost certainly means the level of cover or the claims procedure may not be as good as it could be. Be warey

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Here’s a screen shot from the latest Which? Rather alarming.

Our latest research revealed that nearly two thirds of people with valid complaints upheld by the ombudsman last year suffered distress and inconvenience due to their insurance company’s behaviour.

On top of this, insurance premiums are skyrocketing, with monthly costs getting out of control for many who can’t afford to pay for a year upfront.

A friend of mine living in rural Lincoln, owns a two year old mild hybrid small suv. Volvo insurance renewal invitation £1200.🙀 He’s shopping around but can’t believe his 40% increase. He turned 80 this year. Could that be used against him🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Certainly age is a factor in insurers risk considerations. Some even have age limits others will progressively load the premiums.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts