Does Travel Insurance cover Caravan Breakdown ?

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Just a thought, Because I have a lack of confidence in the dealer i bought my caravan off repairing faults, when I booked a recent weeks holiday at an expensive site I also took out Travel Insurance.
When we arrived at the Caravan Site and plugged and plumbed in the Caravan we found that there was no Hot Water.
The Caravan had been back to the dealer we bought it off 10 months before and they were supposed to have fixed it.

Would there being No Hot Water and No Blown Heating be a sufficient reason to cancel the holiday ?
Of course had we hired a Caravan thsi would be a reason for rejecting the holiday.

Of course I could not cancel the site fees (£250)

I did take out Travel Insurance at £75, but just wondered if I could claim had I cancelled.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just a thought, Because I have a lack of confidence in the dealer i bought my caravan off repairing faults, when I booked a recent weeks holiday at an expensive site I also took out Travel Insurance.
When we arrived at the Caravan Site and plugged and plumbed in the Caravan we found that there was no Hot Water.
The Caravan had been back to the dealer we bought it off 10 months before and they were supposed to have fixed it.

Would there being No Hot Water and No Blown Heating be a sufficient reason to cancel the holiday ?
Of course had we hired a Caravan thsi would be a reason for rejecting the holiday.

Of course I could not cancel the site fees (£250)

I did take out Travel Insurance at £75, but just wondered if I could claim had I cancelled.
Best to read your policy terms and conditions. But when we had annual travel insurance it did not cover cancellation or claims due to a car malfunction. But it did cover us if the train, coach or even taxi failed to get us to where we required to be. I think it very unlikely that travel insurance would cover the caravan problems you describe. But CMHC Red Pennant or Mayday which are specific to caravans or motorhomes could have some circumstances where a claim of some sort could be made. IE a hotel cost whilst van is being fixed.
PS. Boil a kettle and buy a fan heater from Argos, use site showers etc so holiday is still viable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Otherclive, the policy and what it covers is set out in its T&C's. But I seriously doubt it would cover the functions of your own caravan for which as the owner you are responsible for its maintenance and readiness for use.

Whether you might have a claim against the company you asked to service the caravan under their warranty or the Consumer Rights Act 2015 would depend on exactly what you instructed the company to do.

The doubt I have concerns what exactly you instructed the company to do 11 months ago.

Contrary to what might seem obvious, if you put your caravan in for an annual service, the company probably does not look at individually habitation appliances, unless you specifically instruct them to do so in addition to the standard annual service schedule.

Even if you did instruct them to resolve these faults 11 months ago, it will depend on what the actual faults are now, and if they directly relate to the original faults.

Your buddy here is the Consumer Rights Act.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Agree with last two posts.

,Without knowing the provider and wording of the OP Travel policy it is impossible to comment.

My CAMC Mayday breakdown policy would not cover this situation.

In regard to the “service” here’s the standard AWS check sheet of items serviced and checked. Note heaters are not serviced only checked.
Did the water and heating system work at all after leaving the repairer?
As Prof says you do have CRA.
Have you used the caravan since the repairs but prior to this holiday?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You do need to check the policy as wordings may vary, but I doubt it as I have not seen this cover available even from the clubs whose members would be most affected. If you bought the insurance to cover you for this, I am afraid you should have checked the policy for this information.
You do not say where the holiday is to but unless it is a long way North I cannot see the lack of blown air heating is going to seriously affect you enough to justify cancelling the holiday.
The lack of hot water might just be another matter, but even then you could manage most things using a kettle, but if you use the shower you would have to use the site ones as an alternative.
I doubt any travel insurer would regard that as sufficient to cancel the holiday as it would be a nuisance rather than a real hardship. I think you will just have to enjoy the holiday as best you can as cancelation does not look justified.
It does sound as though you have a claim against the dealer for failing to repair the fault as others have said.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts