Dog Insurance

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I see the latest ill thought scheme from the government is for all dogs to be micro chipped & insured. Although it's going to public consultation first I wonder who will actually be consulted? Do the powers that be really think the yob with a pit bull type "status symbol" will bother with insurance? No doubt he doesn't have tax or insurance on his P reg Nova with blacked out windows and a drain pipe for an exhaust and that runs around with a registration plate. How on earth do they plan to police this latest plan?

Once again it will be the responsible citizens who comply, the ones who have caused the problem will ignore any new rules and carry on regardless

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I think that the answer to "who will be consulted" is,the respondantant to website opinion polls who get paid anthing from 50p to

Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
As an owner of two dogs I have just written to Alan Johnson the Home Secretary regarding the news about this subject. I have clearly stated whilst I agree that something has got to be done about the dog situation I have asked how the insurance companies will be pricing their quotes and on what basis.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We have all these criminals driving round in untaxed, uninsured vehicles and I bet most of those low lifes have no drivers licence, or an unindorsed one. Those people are more likely to have status dogs.

The Status Dog units are springing up all over the country and although, I have views on certain things around this, it's worrying that even the authorities cannot determine 'type'. And a person who is well capable of handling a dog classed as 'type' and that person has put in a lot of time and effort in general obedience etc could have their beloved pet seized on the say so of a persons opinion, and not an expert witness at that.

One of the questions on the insurance policies these days is 'has this dog shown aggressive tendancies'?.......... Erm, even if jo yob does apply for insurance, it's laughable.

There are some born bad dogs, badly wired I call them but in 'normal circumstances' most dogs are ok.

The government and supporting agencies cannot even manage the people who persistently drive without a valid licence. How the hell are the authorities going to manage a database of millions of dogs??

The dog bite statistics arn't completely explained. What the media and Norman Lamb fail to mention in any article I have read, is that the figures do not separate dog bites from dog strikes. There's a lot of people who have been admitted to, or treated in hospital because their dogs greeted them a little too enthusiastically or accidentially knocked into them. I've had two injuries myself which were technically 'bites' but not sustained by how you might immediately think.

Something needs to be done about these people using dogs as status dogs though but I'm not sure chipping and insuring is the way to go. The responsible will do it, the irresponsible won't. We won't be any better off.

Lisa

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
How will the idiots manage to get several million dogs micro-chipped? Initially they propsoed that dog owners go on a course about looking afte their dog but this got rejected as impractical. I have no idea where they got the figure

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This government are getting way ahead of themselves here.

There is absolutely no chance of any new piece of legislation coming on to the statute books before a general election.

If the Labour party win the next election (!) they might be able to cobble together another law which will penalise the ordinary law abiding dog owner while NED dog owners completely ignore it and get away scot free but until then this is just another load of nonsense.

I'd have thought everybody would know by now that this lot have introduced this idea to stop us talking about the economy, unemployment, expense fiddling, unwinnable immoral wars, etc etc etc...........

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
The sooner this becoms law the better! Why do "responsible dog-owners" assume that "Everybody loves their dog....etc". I had a dog for 12 years (properly insured) and I was more likely to find burgulars licked to death than bitten! What is the problem? Dog owners are prepared to pay huge sum of money to buy their pets, pay vets bills and have their passports to travel abroad but are unhappy to admit that any dog is capable of causing injury to a child.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I havent got a dog and I think its stupid Police dont come out to burglaries for ages,theyre not going to waste time seeing if some hooligan with a pitbull type has got insurance Its just grabbing headlines.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
A car is far more likely to cause serious harm or death to a child than a dog but if properly controlled the risk is very small. Likewise a properly controlled dog poses a miniscule risk. My point was that the very people who this proposed legislation is aimed at are the ones who will ignore it.

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
This government are getting way ahead of themselves here.

There is absolutely no chance of any new piece of legislation coming on to the statute books before a general election.

If the Labour party win the next election (!) they might be able to cobble together another law which will penalise the ordinary law abiding dog owner while NED dog owners completely ignore it and get away scot free but until then this is just another load of nonsense.

I'd have thought everybody would know by now that this lot have introduced this idea to stop us talking about the economy, unemployment, expense fiddling, unwinnable immoral wars, etc etc etc...........
The other lot had higher unemployment, supported the immoral war,and fiddled their expenses.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Parksy, has hit it right on the nail, they are just using it as spin.......

" I'd have thought everybody would know by now that this lot have introduced this idea to stop us talking about the economy, unemployment, expense fiddling, unwinnable immoral wars, etc etc etc..........."

Hopefully they will fall over when they get dizzy bang there head & come up with something sensible

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I'm neither a dog owner nor a dog lover, but I can't see the relevance of this proposal to the supposed problem.

According the the Torygraph, this is a response to a "spate of savagings". How on earth will compulsory insurance stop that, even supposing it could be enforced?

Neither am I aware that there is a large number of outstanding unrecovered claims against uninsured dog owners.

Most likely a cynical attempt to grandstand, and divert attention from other questions embarrassing to the government.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
why disguise this thread as "dog insurance" as all along it was known that it would turn around into another govrnmrnt bashing thread, just post it up as such, oh, you cant because this is a caravan forum after all and such nonsense would certainly not be allowed.

some of ye are unreal.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The government are the ones who are proposing this new piece of legislation. It would affect and in some ways penalise all dog owners because of the irresponsibility of a minority.

Many dog owners only take up caravanning in the first place because they can enjoy holidays with their dog.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Buy a cat none of this nonsense regarding insurance. I have never read in the UK of a CAT savages child, but I have read Dog savages child on more than one occasion.

Lets face it all the dogs in "care" because no one wants them should be put down. It is the only solution any one think of anything better ??

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Lets face it all the dogs in "care" because no one wants them should be put down. It is the only solution any one think of anything better ??

quite sure i can buddy, but im censored to what i post :)

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The government are the ones who are proposing this new piece of legislation. It would affect and in some ways penalise all dog owners because of the irresponsibility of a minority.

Many dog owners only take up caravanning in the first place because they can enjoy holidays with their dog.

aye ok parksy,

but what i mean is why does the original poster not just use the heading "government propose new dog insurance"

the headline of the post masks the proposed meaning, knowing full well it will transpire into another boring government bashing thread.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We didn't have to buy our cat, she sneaked up on us!

She lived next door but one, the guys marriage broke up and he was never in so the cat decided to move in with us.

I will admit to having her insured against vet bills though so she didn't come absolutely free of charge.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

aye ok parksy,

but what i mean is why does the original poster not just use the heading "government propose new dog insurance"

the headline of the post masks the proposed meaning, knowing full well it will transpire into another boring government bashing thread.
Mea Culpa! I mentioned the guvmint :0(

My point is that they should see how the election goes before coming out with stuff like this.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
This law isn't going to make the statute books before the election so imo it's a lot of posturing by being made to see that they are doing something.

The very problem this law is supposed to address isn't going to happen because we know that the morons who use these kind of dogs as weapons and to intimidate others aren't going to pay.

Meanwhile the morons in power have no fear of losing some of their core vote because of the generous benefits these people receive.

When some poor pensioner, who has a small dog for a companion, isn't able to pay does anyone think that the public would stand idly by while wardens took the dog off to be destroyed?

Sixty four days to the election. I don't want to wish my life away but it can't come fast enough.

I only wish I could be at Downing St. when the Pickfords Removals lorry turned up so I could lend Gordy my hankie when he started blubbering and blaming everyone else for his failings ... heh! heh! heh!

TRENDING THREADS