Dog Poo AND Waste Water

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The answer to this problem is not to ban dogs, but to punish the irresponsible owners by banning them from the sites. If the two major clubs were to start doing this with some success you can guarantee that the minority of irresponsible owners would start looking after their pets correctly. We have recently returned from a short break at the CC West Ayton site, a couple turned up on the Saturday, set up put the dogs in a cage in the awning then decided to leave them there barking till 2 in the morning while they went out to a party.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The trouble is catching them Richard. They are what I call the Phantom Dumpers. It's when it's dark they tend to leave it knowing nobody can see them. How many times have you seen someone walking 1 or more dogs and they are running loose whilst the owner is reading a paper and taking no notice. The dogs are behind the owner so they dont know when or where the dog is depositing its load. Another favourite these days is to get the kids to take the dog/s knowing people are hardly likely to say anything to them. At least I can hold my head high (while holding my nose) knowing that we pick up after our three dogs, o.k. they are only little ones so do miniature do do's, but at least it gets cleaned up.

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I read in the media a few months ago,that a state in Australia,I'm not sure if it was Victoria,that all dog owners had to take their pets to a surgery where a vet took a sample of the dogs d.n.a. and placed it on a register.Residents if spotting mess not cleaned up, called the local council office,who then sent out a warden to pick up the droppings and analyse against the register.Guilty owners were then charged the wardens and surgery analyst time plus a fine for the offence.If pleading innocense,e.g.dog got loose, they also got a fine for that offence as well.My wife and I often go to the east coast as its our nearest resort for a weekend break,if you were to walk any stretch of the coast from Skegnes,to Chapel st Leonards,the council have put up signs every 100 or so yards asking dog owners to keep dogs on leads, and not to take dogs on certain stretches of beach,from 1 May to 31September.If you're in the area this summer you irresponsible dog owners just take notice and consider others. Or do you just say, are well laws are made to be broken. Cheers to you ;ALL; Edward

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I read in the media a few months ago,that a state in Australia,I'm not sure if it was Victoria,that all dog owners had to take their pets to a surgery where a vet took a sample of the dogs d.n.a. and placed it on a register.Residents if spotting mess not cleaned up, called the local council office,who then sent out a warden to pick up the droppings and analyse against the register.Guilty owners were then charged the wardens and surgery analyst time plus a fine for the offence.If pleading innocense,e.g.dog got loose, they also got a fine for that offence as well.My wife and I often go to the east coast as its our nearest resort for a weekend break,if you were to walk any stretch of the coast from Skegnes,to Chapel st Leonards,the council have put up signs every 100 or so yards asking dog owners to keep dogs on leads, and not to take dogs on certain stretches of beach,from 1 May to 31September.If you're in the area this summer you irresponsible dog owners just take notice and consider others. Or do you just say, are well laws are made to be broken. Cheers to you ;ALL; Edward
The DNA is an excellent idea Edward but I think it would be a no no here because the politicians would be thinking about losing votes at election time. I would like to see it in force here though.

LRG

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi LRG,

Pencelli Castle near Brecon is a no dog site. It's a 5 star site with 1st class facilities. I've stored my van there and have used the site for the last 10 years or so (It's only about 28 miles from home). Suits my family as none of us are that keen on dogs but each to their own.
Hi Jeff, thanks for the tip. We will give this site a try as we are planning to do this area next summer.

Lorraine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lets look at the posative side of banning dogs. cats and any any other worthless animal - there would be more oxygen in the atmosphere for the necessary form of animal and human life, there would be less pollution and disease around, less mess and material for land fill sites, less use of plastic bags/carriers to cause pollution in both their manufacture and disposal, less foul gasses emitteed into the air to destroy the ozone layer, etc. etc. I am surprised that the environmentalists have not cottoned on to this argument in support of the protection of the ozone layer. What use is a slug for example and why make moths an endangered species? Lets call a spade a spade and get rid of this unnecessary waste.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Following on from Edward's post, you can use a similar system if you have a party at home. Dig out your old tiddlywinks, and write a different number on each one. On arrival, get each guest to swallow a tiddlywink and (the most important bit) keep a register. If anyone throws up on your nice carpet, just fish out the tiddlywink, and identify the offending guest. Easy!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lets look at the posative side of banning dogs. cats and any any other worthless animal - there would be more oxygen in the atmosphere for the necessary form of animal and human life, there would be less pollution and disease around, less mess and material for land fill sites, less use of plastic bags/carriers to cause pollution in both their manufacture and disposal, less foul gasses emitteed into the air to destroy the ozone layer, etc. etc. I am surprised that the environmentalists have not cottoned on to this argument in support of the protection of the ozone layer. What use is a slug for example and why make moths an endangered species? Lets call a spade a spade and get rid of this unnecessary waste.
What an excellent comment, and so useful! Just replace the words "dog" and "cat" with almost any other 2 words and it still applies eg "4x4" and "caravan" or even "you" and "me"!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
A simple answer to the dog poo prob isto make it law that every dog is chipped for a start. The dog warden could then scan the animal and bill the registered owner for letting his pooch deposit without the walker cleaning up, child or adult.

Also it would stop the strays roaming the streets. I have someone's terrier who nips through the bars of our gate to use the area we have set aside and trained our two labs to use. So we then end up cleaning up poo for three dogs. it just goes to show though that the little perisher knows where to go!!

As I've stated before both our Labradors only wear a collar to go out with us and raom free the rest of the time with us, they do this by choice as they have chosen us to be with as "pack leaders" which then has turned them into respectful and loyal companions. The big Lab is all of 7 stone at 2 years old and if he chose to run even I would have a job holding him back with my 100Kg ballast. But being educated as they are they always respond to what we comand or do.

As for our mate (victor meldrew) and his clones (or is that clowns) it's not the dogs who need banning, it's the irresponsible owners who need brining to book.

Dogs a mostly a friendly race and all they ask is a square meal a day and in return they are fun to be with, even if they do run through your freshly laid concrete, like mine did Monday. Well they thought it fun to give me 4 paw grip to the drive. They are the cheapest 4x4 we've got.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Its ok Jim/Pauline, Colins been at the Irish Fallingdown Water again. He'll be ok when he sobers up ;O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
BAN DOGS - BAN KIDS - BAN BALLS - BAN 4X4s - BAN WINDBREAKS - BAN SATELLITE DISHES - BAN NOISEY BIRDS - BAN BBQs - BAN ALCOHOL - BAN CONVERSATION - BAN LAUGHTER - BAN BABIES CRYING - BAN LAWN MOWERS - BAN GROUNDSHEETS - BAN FRISBEES - BAN BICYCLES - BAN WHINGERS (.................Please add your favourite ban here ..........)

I hope that pleases the BAN BRIGADE :eek:)

Where do we stop, do we have a doctor on site to see that no-one is carrying any nasty diseases or bugs, after all, we are just as capable as carrying them as dogs. I can understand someone not liking dogs, that is in their psyche, but to advocate a total ban on them while expessing their hatred of them is something else. Such sad, sad people. A person I know hates all living creatures, it makes me wonder how she managed to find a mate and breed. Such sad, sad people. Sighhhhhhhhh. If someone is pig ignorant you can't actually blame the person, the parents have to take responsibity for how he/she was raised so why blame all dogs, blame the owners. :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The owners can only be to blame in certain aspects. Dogs were born to hunt in packs and to kill - it is their natural instinct. Dogs also go around constantly sniffing the ground and all forms of deposits on the ground, also sniffing each other's rear end before either fighting or mating. They come across deposited rotten food on the ground (fair enough it is the human who has caused this litter) and eat the mess honey sweat. They often sniff and lick their own genitals and also wipe their backside on the living room carpet. The worst part is then to see someone making a fuss over a dog and letting them lick their face and kissing them. How unhygenic can this be - you might as well go sniffing and licking the ground yourself as well as sniffing and licking the dog's hind quarters.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
How many humans do you know who clean and groom themselves as often as a dog. Colin, in fairness, in your previous occupation I don't suppose you got out too much into other peoples homes and saw how they lived. Believe me it's an eye opener as Tina will confirm. I'm not going to waste my time on you because it is so obvious you are a dog hater and with you type of people theres more chance of me going to the moon than trying to make you see sense. All I will say is that I trust my dogs far more than most human beings I know and they also show me undying devotion and loyalty. How many people can you say show you that?It must be the name Colin that makes a person a dog hater - if so I should be grateful to my parents because I would have missed so much out of life :O)

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
i have a dog and im a responsible owner i always pick up and considering my dog only does one small hard poo a day because of the food its on it would lazy of me not too its the dogs that do runny poos you need to watch out for.

to me its only right to pick up what she does i have kids and have had so many incidents with other dogs mess on my carpets or all over the kids hands when theyve fallen it really gets me angry but we cant start saying ban dogs alot of people would stop caravanning if they had to kennel the dogs every weekend.

can i also say i think we should ban people cooking bacon on site at the crack of dawn when ive got a hang over and im starving

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The owners can only be to blame in certain aspects. Dogs were born to hunt in packs and to kill - it is their natural instinct. Dogs also go around constantly sniffing the ground and all forms of deposits on the ground, also sniffing each other's rear end before either fighting or mating. They come across deposited rotten food on the ground (fair enough it is the human who has caused this litter) and eat the mess honey sweat. They often sniff and lick their own genitals and also wipe their backside on the living room carpet. The worst part is then to see someone making a fuss over a dog and letting them lick their face and kissing them. How unhygenic can this be - you might as well go sniffing and licking the ground yourself as well as sniffing and licking the dog's hind quarters.
What makes you think I don't :O) - give us a kiss sweetie ;O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
i have a dog and im a responsible owner i always pick up and considering my dog only does one small hard poo a day because of the food its on it would lazy of me not too its the dogs that do runny poos you need to watch out for.

to me its only right to pick up what she does i have kids and have had so many incidents with other dogs mess on my carpets or all over the kids hands when theyve fallen it really gets me angry but we cant start saying ban dogs alot of people would stop caravanning if they had to kennel the dogs every weekend.

can i also say i think we should ban people cooking bacon on site at the crack of dawn when ive got a hang over and im starving
"alot of people would stop caravanning if they had to kennel the dogs every weekend" ⇦ that's what the grumps would like Darren, they don't need putting ideas into their heads.hehheh!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I sometimes think the world is obsessed with hygiene. We have 3 very large, very friendly and very "licky" GSDs and a small, very friendly and very "licky" terrier. In more than 40 years of dog ownership I must have been "kissed" by them (and their friends) hundreds of times (lucky me!) and so has Pauline and so have our children. I feed them (the dogs that is!), clean their teeth and bedding and pick up any mess they make but none of us have ever sufferd any ill effects (except when I try and get the terrier out for a pee when she is nice and cosy in her bed!). As my (yorkshire) mother in law used to say "a bit o muck never hurt anyone"! Jim.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
My father used to say "you'll eat a ton of muck before you die" and in his case he was probably right. He was a miner. There has to be a reason a person hates dogs and it probably goes back to their childhood. It might be the fear of dogs instilled into them by their parents or they were bitten by a dog when a child or quite simply their parents just hated dogs. A shrink would have the answer. All I'm sure about is that I'm glad I'm me and not them :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin - you neatly list all the things you find unacceptable about dogs.

Thank you very much because it tells us more about your life and how you live it than it ever does about a dog problem.

Dogs greet you like a long lost friend (which you are to them) - when yo have only been out for 20 min.

Dogs are used as therapy for people with emotional and physical problems because they never demand - only ask.

Dogs evolved with humans and some anthropoligists believe that without a dog(s) taking part in the hunt and sharing the kill - man would not have evolved as he has.

Therefore for someone to have your attitude would seem to make them a bit of a genetic throwback.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to clarify my previous comment, I still believe you should ALWAYS pick up if it is possible to, not just to avoid annoying others but because I hate to see the smelly stuff lying around when it is so easy to get rid of it, its just that I think that with all the anti-bacteria sprays and disinfectant wipes etc that we have these days kids dont get a chance to build up their immune system, there is a thoery, I believe, that this is a contibutary factor to the epidemic of asthma that kids seem to have these days. I say this without any qualifications so perhaps Lord B with his medical background or any others of you may like to put me right! Jim.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I've posted this before but if it's going to annoy someone it's worth posting again heheh!

All I ask is to read and inwardly digest these words because they are so true :O)

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

-Anonymous

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

-Ann Landers

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

-Ben Williams

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

-Josh Billings

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.

-Andy Rooney

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.

- Sigmund Freud

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

-Rita Rudner

A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.

-Robert Benchley

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.

-Franklin P. Jones

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.

-James Thurber

If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.

-Unknown

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

-Joe Weinstein

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

-Anne Tyler

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

-Robert A. Heinlein

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

-Mark Twain

You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'

- Dave Barry

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

-Roger Caras

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.

-Phil Pastoret

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dogs already thinks I am.

-Lord Braykewynde

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B., CliveV, et all - I will come clean on this topic as my conscence is now pricking me. I was not on the Irish Firewater last night but have just poured a home measure of Bushmills for myself. I think I have stirred the mire enough. I will admit to being the owner/master of three dogs over the years - a Corgi, Jack Russel and a Dalmation mongeral. Each dog lived to a fine age, the last one being over 17 when she passed away. The three dogs were half human and my wife and son cried for days after the dalmation (my son was too young to remember the others). In fact he lost a weeks work through her passing. My daughter has a Shelty (excuse spelling I think it is correct) from a dogs home and his only pet hate is the postman. He accepts all others no matter whether they be family or visiters. When my daughter is away on business not only do we have the grandchildren with us we also have the dog to babysit. Therefore as you will now probably gather my previous postings have been a wind up and I do like dogs, cats, etc. as well as caravans and 4x4s. Sorry if I have upset you but I looked upon it purely as a wind up.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord B., CliveV, et all - I will come clean on this topic as my conscence is now pricking me. I was not on the Irish Firewater last night but have just poured a home measure of Bushmills for myself. I think I have stirred the mire enough. I will admit to being the owner/master of three dogs over the years - a Corgi, Jack Russel and a Dalmation mongeral. Each dog lived to a fine age, the last one being over 17 when she passed away. The three dogs were half human and my wife and son cried for days after the dalmation (my son was too young to remember the others). In fact he lost a weeks work through her passing. My daughter has a Shelty (excuse spelling I think it is correct) from a dogs home and his only pet hate is the postman. He accepts all others no matter whether they be family or visiters. When my daughter is away on business not only do we have the grandchildren with us we also have the dog to babysit. Therefore as you will now probably gather my previous postings have been a wind up and I do like dogs, cats, etc. as well as caravans and 4x4s. Sorry if I have upset you but I looked upon it purely as a wind up.
You didn't upset me Colin, well not up until now. I was enjoying myself heheh! now your post as gone and spoilt my fun :O(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
By 'eck,Lord B, you started something with that one, didn't you? No question, tho,I still prefer my dog's to some people! (all forummers excepted, of course!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts