dogs - "certain breeds accepted"

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Dog owners should realize and accept that they are not welcome everywhere. I'm not particularly found of dogs and am quite happy to have camp sites that restrict or forbid them. In my opinion all camp sites should demand that dogs be kept on a leash at all times, regardless of how expensive the dog training.
mike, I agree some sites are needed to be pet free....people dont like dogs - each to their own, and sites are welcome to do this.

the whole point to my thread though was not about dogs in general but why ban certain breeds when all dogs can act the same if in a situation.

I agree about dogs on leads - as a dog lover myself - find it really annoying when other owners pay no regard to park rules and let their dogs off the leads when it says "strictly dogs on leads"

all im reacting to on my thread is people not allowing bigger dogs because of their so called reputations

Yes and what can make it tricky is that dogs can sense fear in other dogs and humans and as I'm sure you know, "sometimes take the micky" - training and being aware can manage the situation though I find.
Yes i do know David and agree. My dog has had some proffesional training and also training by me which i do all the time. I can read both my dogs and are 1 step ahead of them all the time. As for people "taking the micky" i`ve heard it all. It`s the ones that have the snappy dogs who go for my girl and say "He`ll eat you for breakfast"(They only find it funny because she doesn`t retaliate. They`d have a different pinion if she did that`s for sure) I`m polite and don`t say anything but i feel like shouting "He`s a she and she`s very fussy what she eats so you`ve no worries".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
mike, I agree some sites are needed to be pet free....people dont like dogs - each to their own, and sites are welcome to do this.

the whole point to my thread though was not about dogs in general but why ban certain breeds when all dogs can act the same if in a situation.

I agree about dogs on leads - as a dog lover myself - find it really annoying when other owners pay no regard to park rules and let their dogs off the leads when it says "strictly dogs on leads"

all im reacting to on my thread is people not allowing bigger dogs because of their so called reputations
I take your point Sarah, I have known some very friendly German Shepherds, in fact I've never met a bad one, happily. But certain dogs, especially pitbull types, have such a bad reputation I can understand campsite owners banning them.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Dogs and their owners tend to be like parents and their children, in fact the dog is often a substitute child.

Some parents/owners can see no wrong in their charges and think the whole world wants to share their experience. Others simply refuse to take responsibility for the actions of their charges and don't give a damn.

Everyone should be free to do as they please provided it doesn't impact on anyone else.This of course in reality is an impossibility.Finding a suitable level of compromise is the trick.It's not unreasonable to ask dog owners to have their dogs on leads or tethers ALL the time they are on site.Nobody wants next doors dog peeing on their aquaroll, nor do they want the friendly mutt jumping all over them as they set off dressed for a night out !

Owners have a responsibility to pick up and correctly dispose of all dog waste appropriately i.e "bag it and bin it". If you are out in the country there is still no excuse for leaving dog mess in the middle of a footpath, it can easily be moved where it can decompose without being an hazard to others. However, bagging it and throwing it in the bushes is totally unacceptable as the bag is there for ever.

The dog lobby is pretty powerful on the caravan scene. One of the attractions to many owners is being able to take Fido with them and both enjoy the undoubted pleasure of sharing walks in the countryside whilst avoiding expensive kennel fees.You only have to look around any CC site and realise that usually more than 50% have a dog.

However, unlike having children, dog ownership can be far easier controlled with prohibitive measures put into practice.( Banned from popular parks and beaches or even caravan sites). These have all resulted as the action of irresponsible owners.The future is in their hands.

Some people can only see the negative in dog ownership and fail to appreciate that dogs can teach children respect for living creatures, offer companionship for otherwise lonely people and can generally help the well being of all owners.

Non dog owners benefit from the huge revenue collected from the VAT levied on petfood, countless employment opportunities within the petfood and associated industries and the fact that most petfoods use the bits we don't tend to eat that would otherwise create a disposal problem. Effectively the pet market reduces the cost of meat production for human consumption.

The cries of reintroduce the dog licence fee are ill informed and unnecessary.However, draconian punishments to those who ignore the accepted norms should be welcomed by both dog owners and non dog owners alike.

Incidentally I am an ex dog owner who decided that the levels of commitment to ownership were more than I want during my current lifestage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dogs and their owners tend to be like parents and their children, in fact the dog is often a substitute child.

Some parents/owners can see no wrong in their charges and think the whole world wants to share their experience. Others simply refuse to take responsibility for the actions of their charges and don't give a damn.

Everyone should be free to do as they please provided it doesn't impact on anyone else.This of course in reality is an impossibility.Finding a suitable level of compromise is the trick.It's not unreasonable to ask dog owners to have their dogs on leads or tethers ALL the time they are on site.Nobody wants next doors dog peeing on their aquaroll, nor do they want the friendly mutt jumping all over them as they set off dressed for a night out !

Owners have a responsibility to pick up and correctly dispose of all dog waste appropriately i.e "bag it and bin it". If you are out in the country there is still no excuse for leaving dog mess in the middle of a footpath, it can easily be moved where it can decompose without being an hazard to others. However, bagging it and throwing it in the bushes is totally unacceptable as the bag is there for ever.

The dog lobby is pretty powerful on the caravan scene. One of the attractions to many owners is being able to take Fido with them and both enjoy the undoubted pleasure of sharing walks in the countryside whilst avoiding expensive kennel fees.You only have to look around any CC site and realise that usually more than 50% have a dog.

However, unlike having children, dog ownership can be far easier controlled with prohibitive measures put into practice.( Banned from popular parks and beaches or even caravan sites). These have all resulted as the action of irresponsible owners.The future is in their hands.

Some people can only see the negative in dog ownership and fail to appreciate that dogs can teach children respect for living creatures, offer companionship for otherwise lonely people and can generally help the well being of all owners.

Non dog owners benefit from the huge revenue collected from the VAT levied on petfood, countless employment opportunities within the petfood and associated industries and the fact that most petfoods use the bits we don't tend to eat that would otherwise create a disposal problem. Effectively the pet market reduces the cost of meat production for human consumption.

The cries of reintroduce the dog licence fee are ill informed and unnecessary.However, draconian punishments to those who ignore the accepted norms should be welcomed by both dog owners and non dog owners alike.

Incidentally I am an ex dog owner who decided that the levels of commitment to ownership were more than I want during my current lifestage.
Well said !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Agreed - Well presented and thought out - I for one was not aware of the food diposal issue.

Only area where i differ is that I do believe a dog licence with a hefty fee would be a good thing. Anything to stop animals being given as presents or bought on a whim.

As you say, having a dog/animal of any sort is a responcibility. One that I would not mind paying for if it stopped people getting a dog and then abandoning it.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Agreed - Well presented and thought out - I for one was not aware of the food diposal issue.

Only area where i differ is that I do believe a dog licence with a hefty fee would be a good thing. Anything to stop animals being given as presents or bought on a whim.

As you say, having a dog/animal of any sort is a responcibility. One that I would not mind paying for if it stopped people getting a dog and then abandoning it.
Alas, people pay considerable sums for pedigree dogs, far greater than a licence fee and still abandon them.Pedigree dogs account for the majority of the dog population too.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
I take your point Sarah, I have known some very friendly German Shepherds, in fact I've never met a bad one, happily. But certain dogs, especially pitbull types, have such a bad reputation I can understand campsite owners banning them.
i agree, sites do have the right to ban any aggresive dog. They do not want a tragic/serious incident happening on site.

me, hubby and big fluffy german shepherd will continue to pitch where we are accepted, the majority of sites welcome us with open arms. (just a select few ban the "dangerous breeds" as they call it)!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts