Dogs - Where Should They Sleep ?

Oct 5, 2008
Visit site
We have been caravanning for a few years now and will be buying a puppy next month. I would be interested to hear where people usually keep their dogs overnight. Thank you

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
jo-anne _ I'm amazed you can get your 14 year old son to share a cage with your dog!!!!!!!!!

Our 2 dogs sleep in their beds on the caravan floor - not ideal cos in summer months we are frequently woken up at silly o'clock but 2 faces leaning on the bed asking to go for walkies. Unfortunately only one will go in a crate (t'other one refuses point blank and would escape from an awning) so we have to cope with avoiding them on midnight trips to the loo!

May 29, 2006
Visit site
We have two Pugs and they sleep on the bed with us. They are small, quiet and well behaved dogs. They love their caravan holidays! We chose caravan holidays because we have dogs and wouldn't want to put them in kennels or leave them with friends. Good luck with your puppy.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Our jrt is crated at home but in the van he sleeps on the floor in his other bed, he does not come up onto the bed in the night nor in the morning untill he is invited. Works well for us, he will woof if he hears noises outside, so if left in the awning I think he would keep the campsite up but in the van he is fine.

Kevin

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
When our dog was a puppy he used to sleep on a rug in the caravan but now we have to put the awning up for him with an inner tent so he can sleep in there, he kinda got a bit big, but he is a bullmastiff.

Aug 4, 2008
Visit site
Our dog (cavaleir x collie) sleeps with us, on the duvet - or to be honest if it gets really cold, under it.

I think it's where ever you feel happy to have them. The only comment i would make is that obviously if they are a yappy/barking dog, then they should be where ever they will cause less upset to other campers.

woody

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
We've got a Golden Retriever and a Black Labrador and both sleep in the van on the floor.

Reasons for this.

1- they're part of my family and I dont agree with 'excluding them' just because they're pets.

2- I once had a Gordon Setter stolen and will not put my family through that trauma again.

3- the lab has arthritis and cold/damp are no good to her.

4- if they are spooked by a noise and bark then a quick 'quiet' from me and they stop. If I've got to get out of bed and go into the awaning then not only will that disturb those around us , the lengthened barking and my booming voice will certainly get the curtains a twitching.

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
We've got a Golden Retriever and a Black Labrador and both sleep in the van on the floor.

Reasons for this.

1- they're part of my family and I dont agree with 'excluding them' just because they're pets.

2- I once had a Gordon Setter stolen and will not put my family through that trauma again.

3- the lab has arthritis and cold/damp are no good to her.

4- if they are spooked by a noise and bark then a quick 'quiet' from me and they stop. If I've got to get out of bed and go into the awaning then not only will that disturb those around us , the lengthened barking and my booming voice will certainly get the curtains a twitching.
Does the caravan not smell doggy.

you see notices on secondhand sale vans that are for sale:

No pets non smokers

roger

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Our Miniature Schnauzers sleep at the bottom of the bed. At least thats where they start but often in the morning one of them is sleeping by my head.

Like RogerP, they are part of our family and they aren't excluded. Another reason is on my nightly trips to the loo I might trip over them :O)

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Roger wrote 'does the caravan not smell doggy'

not really , if you look after the van , keep it clean and keep the dogs clean then no.

I always give the dogs a bath the day before we go away , they are groomed every couple of days and the van is vaccied every couple of days. We dont let the dogs onto the seats(mostly beucase they're too big) and we always dry them off after walks if it raining or wet (they also have coats for when its raining).

We always have a window / roof vent open or on a night latch and not because of having dogs , for the fresh air.

If you look after a van , keep it clean then there's no reason for it to smell. Unless you use horrible cheap air freshners , those things should be banned!

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I was horrified the other week when I saw my friend feed her dogs by putting bowls of food on the bench seats in the van and the dogs ate it at head height whilst standing on the floor. Furthermore she washed the dirty bowls with the family washing up sponge and dried them on the general T Towel - YUK. I think its OK to have dogs sleep in the van but certainly not on the bedding or moreover under the duvet - unless they are trained to use toilet paper of course.

In the mag this month a genius has heightened a bunk bed and made a little kennel affair underneath, I thought it was a brilliant idea.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
My springer always sleeps curled up at the door.

When he was a pup we used to leave him in the awning until a friend of our lost his dog doing this.

He was a little jack russel that they used to peg into the ground on one of those corkscrew things. A scrap yard dealer near to the site had 2 dogs get loose during the night and before they could even get out of their bed the dog was dead.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Roger,

Amazing co-incidence that we also have a Golden Retriever and a Black Lab and in the past had a Gordon Setter!!

Ours sleep in crates in the awning and never bark as long as the curtains are closed.

May 29, 2006
Visit site
I was horrified the other week when I saw my friend feed her dogs by putting bowls of food on the bench seats in the van and the dogs ate it at head height whilst standing on the floor. Furthermore she washed the dirty bowls with the family washing up sponge and dried them on the general T Towel - YUK. I think its OK to have dogs sleep in the van but certainly not on the bedding or moreover under the duvet - unless they are trained to use toilet paper of course.

In the mag this month a genius has heightened a bunk bed and made a little kennel affair underneath, I thought it was a brilliant idea.
Valerie - unless they are trained to use toilet paper??? What do you mean by this please I don't understand. Mandy

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
our black lab sleeps in the van by the door in his bed. and he will stay there until we wake up. we dare not leave him in the awning or he will be gone chasing rabbits or whatever else he can find. i clean the van everyday though i cannot stand dog hair being in the van. if it is raining we put him in the back of the people carrier to sleep and dry off. they he is allowed back in the van in the evening.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mine sleep in their tall annexe, both in crates, crates are covered with crate covers if necessary.

Won't have them in the van to sleep, they're dogs, not babies. Smiley icon thingy.

Lisa

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
grins and hids..i have to jump on rogers side here....

i have 2 black labradors,,,,(erm the big kind) and erm yeah ok they sleep on the bed with us !! there said it :)

yes they are part of our family,

no the van or they dont smell,

no we wouldnt have it any other way ! :)

WOOF !!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul

You should be ashamed of yourself, allowing your dogs to sleep on your bed.

Only joking.

It's up to you, it's no big deal what so ever. They are your dogs and it's your life and your van.

I just prefer to keep mine in the annexe/awning. No dog hairs to hoover up and no dogs to trip over.

Lisa

Nov 30, 2007
Visit site
No dogs in my van well not until last weekend when a muddy little terrier ran in and jumped on my seats leaving mud all over them and then the next morning watched the same dog p##sing up the side of my freinds awning. Anyone know of any adult only sites ie no kids or dogs.

Cheers Mick.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts