Dometic fridge

Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
More questions, sorry! So, I've got a Dometic fridge which i put on full power, so all the power light illuminated, running on electric. I was told by the caravan inspector I shouldn't run it on full, so I turned it down to 3 but then my milk smelt off after a couple of days so I've put it back on full. Can anybody tell me if I can leave on full? It is cold so don't know why milk went off... it also isn't freezing. I put half a loaf f bread in freezer yesterday, with fridge on 4, by that I mean 4 power lights illuminated. Bread is half frozen this morning. Fridge was confirmed working on the PDI and seems to be pretty cold. Thanks for your help again. Sue

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Unlike ordinary domestic fridge/freezers, caravan fridges aren't designed to freeze down food from ambient, only store already frozen food.

We run our Dometic caravan fridge on 3 which leaves the fridge slightly warmer than ideal but reduces the frosting in the freezer - nevertheless we still need to remove the frost from the freezer cooling fins every week with a serated knife.

Reactions: Cavalier
Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
Unlike ordinary domestic fridge/freezers, caravan fridges aren't designed to freeze down food from ambient, only store already frozen food.

We run our Dometic caravan fridge on 3 which leaves the fridge slightly warmer than ideal but reduces the frosting in the freezer - nevertheless we still need to remove the frost from the freezer cooling fins every week with a serated knife.
Thanks so much for your reply. I had no idea of that. Thanks for explaining it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The freezer section is only designed to hold frozen food for a short time compared to a domestic freezer. It should make ice cubes though for you G&T. We rarely had food in the freezer section for more than a few days.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We normally run ours on three in Winter and four in Summer and have had no problems. We very rarely use frozen food and sometimes take out the freezer box for more room inside the fridge. The cooling fins do not normally attract ice and I can only remember this happening once.
I can see no reason not to run it on full if you need to and have seen nothing in the hand book to suggest otherwise.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When we are going away we buy a few of 2 pint size milks. We freeze two of these and put them in the van freezer. The other goes in the door for general use. This accelerates the cooling of the fridge and the milk does not get wasted.

The lights on fridges will all vary in the temperature they produce. But we have it so it will make ice cubes overnight.

John

Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
The freezer section is only designed to hold frozen food for a short time compared to a domestic freezer. It should make ice cubes though for you G&T. We rarely had food in the freezer section for more than a few days.
Thanks glad I've asked the question. I was hoping to use it as I would at home, but maybe not. I'm on my own and do tend to freeze things that I don't eat as planned. Will have to get more organised and shop more often!

Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
We normally run ours on three in Winter and four in Summer and have had no problems. We very rarely use frozen food and sometimes take out the freezer box for more room inside the fridge. The cooling fins do not normally attract ice and I can only remember this happening once.
I can see no reason not to run it on full if you need to and have seen nothing in the hand book to suggest otherwise.
Thanks! I've turned it up to 4 and ordered a couple of fridge thermometers, just to be sure. It's cold inside so don't know why my milk smells off after couple of days... butter is nice and solid. Think I will chuck out my ready meal bought couple of days ago though.

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I don’t know if there is a reason for it to not be best practice, but mine stays on #5. The fridge part stays nice and cold without freezing anything, and the freezer compartment will keep things frozen and make ice cubes. I’ve never had a problem with ice buildup in my particular unit. I also agree with John when he mentions freezing his milk. Before I go away I freeze everything that can be frozen before loading the caravan fridge, otherwise it takes forever for the temperature to come down in hot weather.

Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
When we are going away we buy a few of 2 pint size milks. We freeze two of these and put them in the van freezer. The other goes in the door for general use. This accelerates the cooling of the fridge and the milk does not get wasted.

The lights on fridges will all vary in the temperature they produce. But we have it so it will make ice cubes overnight.

John
Thanks John. I'm actually living in van for summer whilst I buy new house as mine has sold. Think I will forget about freezer and buy small milk. I've turned it up to 5 now so hopefully milk will stay OK now..

Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
I don’t know if there is a reason for it to not be best practice, but mine stays on #5. The fridge part stays nice and cold without freezing anything, and the freezer compartment will keep things frozen and make ice cubes. I’ve never had a problem with ice buildup in my particular unit. I also agree with John when he mentions freezing his milk. Before I go away I freeze everything that can be frozen before loading the caravan fridge, otherwise it takes forever for the temperature to come down in hot weather.
Thanks, good to hear yours is fine on 5! I've turned it up to 5 now and will shop more frequently to avoid storing anything too long, just incase. Sue

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks glad I've asked the question. I was hoping to use it as I would at home, but maybe not. I'm on my own and do tend to freeze things that I don't eat as planned. Will have to get more organised and shop more often!
Depending how your finances are, you could buy a table-top freezer which will function exactly like a normal home freezer but at lower volume - something like this https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/eiqmf/electriq-eiqmf-freestanding-freezer

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's interesting, My van is a 2014 omega 540 and the fridge is model rm8551. Do you know what model yours is?
Ours is probably the RML8555 model as it is the tall fridge. I am not by the caravan so unsure. Your fridge uses 2.6kwh per 24 hours or 270g of gas every 24 hours. Your freeezer is about 12 litres. Ours is 33 litres.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts