Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote "Then you read the conditions"
Which are?
From the home page.
All fridges from
1st January 2011.
There are conditions though. To qualify for this, the caravan must have a Dometic fridge fitted. At the moment, I think that means the offer is only suitable for Bailey Pegasus and Unicorn models as everyone else has opted for Thetford equipment this season. Unless you know otherwise...
Secondly, you must be a member of the relevant one-make owners club, so in this case the Bailey Owners Club. Finally, you have to attend the main factory visit rally, the Camping and Caravanning Club's National Feast of Lanterns or the Caravan Club National Rally to get your free annual fridge service completed by one of Dometic's engineers.
With all the conditions borne in mind, Dometic is not exposing itself to a massive liability on the three year warranty but it is a lovely thing to have. It makes you wonder if caravan manufacturer's might consider a change to Dometic product next year as a customer benefit? It is a very useful tool for boosting owner's club membership too.
doug@practicalcaravan.com

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Ray.
Lets take this in bits, unlike Doug King who seems to have amalgamated several things into one.

First, the van must have a Dometic fridge
That is quite understandable, after all Dometic are not going to warrant any other make.
Secondly,all the stuff about being in an owners club, attending the factory visit etc etc.
I am pretty certain that this ONLY applies if owners wish to take advantage of a free service on the fridge by Dometic Engineers.
I do not think it precludes everyone else from the three year warranty, just the usual stipulation thatif you want the fridge serviced it will be an additional costing, but remember that to maintain warranty on Dometic and Thetford fridges, the burner MUST be serviced each year with it being removed, cleaned and replaced.

I will check on Monday to make sure I have got it right.

May 2, 2006
Visit site
I have never had the fridge serviced on any of our vans. Any idea what sort of ballpark figure dealers will charge for this as an extra at the annual service - are we talking £10, £20, £40 or £100?

Cheers

Mike A

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As promised I now have the real facts about the Dometic situation.
Fact 1. ALL Dometic fridges fitted during manufacture as an OEM part come with a 3 year warranty.(andhave done so for some time, so nothing new there)
The warranty is NOT restricted to or hindered by ANY of the "conditons" in the Doug King article.

Fact 2. It has not even been fully agreed at the present time, and was not even due to be launched until 2011, and was specifically asked NOT to be publicised until all finalities had been taken care of but it seems those who were asked decided that they knew better and have published.
The Free Annual Fridge Service in years 1, 2 and 3 will ONLY be available for members of one of the Owners Clubs and who attend the Owners Club Factory visit to whichever owners club is relevant to the model (ie Bailey owners attending Bailey Factory visit etc)

In years 1 and 2 it will be a "Health Check" with operation and correct cooling and burner being checked and year 3 will be a full fridge service, carried out by Dometic Engineers.

NOTHING has been said about the free servicing being available at the NFOL or any other National Meeting or that attendance at any National Meeting was a requirement linked to the 3 year warranty.
What WAS said is that Dometic engineers would be in attendance a National meetings.

Lastly to answer Mike A .....about £60.00

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts