Don't you love it when....

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You stop to top up the fuel tank and you manage to squeeze in 25ltrs and you go to pay and you are the only other person in the queue. However the person in front of you has what seems like a month's shopping and each item is scanned. They then change their mind about one of the items and wander off to change it. By this a few other travellers have joined you in the queue. Eventually the shopping is complete and time to pay, but they do not have enough money so need to remove some chocolates.

Eventually all is resolved, but by this time the queue is out the door and cars are now stacked up behind those parked at the pumps on the forecourt. Luckily we are right in front so no issue leaving. Strangely enough some person has opened a LIDL store right next door to the service station. If they had used common sense it should have been before the service station in the one way road so people could shop there first. LOL! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
On a different topic, I recently encountered M&S's Return and Click and Collect fiasco. I suspect its been like this for a while but was new to me.

I was given a T-Shirt that was too small so needed to change it for a larger one. Previously you'd go into the store, wander up to the till and explain to the assistant what you need to do. They would either get you one of the required size or you'd get it yourself. Job done.

Not any more it seems. You go into the store and find a Screen in the Click and Collect area - there are only two screens, so you wait your turn. Even before that you've had to go online to request the return for which you will be emailed a message and bar code. Then you have to order another one of the correct size. This way for a short while they get two lots of your money.

When its your turn you touch the link to return the item and are told to scan the bar code. Problem was the email I had, hadn't downloaded the image of the bar code for security reasons. So I had to find an internet connection in the store and download the bar code image. Others standing around were doing the same. Having found where I should wave my phone it then told me to shove the item in the adjacent box.

Then you touch the link to get your new order. Just enter name and a little while later someone comes out of the back with your item.

And this is all for our convenience apparently.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On a different topic, I recently encountered M&S's Return and Click and Collect fiasco. I suspect its been like this for a while but was new to me.

I was given a T-Shirt that was too small so needed to change it for a larger one. Previously you'd go into the store, wander up to the till and explain to the assistant what you need to do. They would either get you one of the required size or you'd get it yourself. Job done.

Not any more it seems. You go into the store and find a Screen in the Click and Collect area - there are only two screens, so you wait your turn. Even before that you've had to go online to request the return for which you will be emailed a message and bar code. Then you have to order another one of the correct size. This way for a short while they get two lots of your money.

When its your turn you touch the link to return the item and are told to scan the bar code. Problem was the email I had, hadn't downloaded the image of the bar code for security reasons. So I had to find an internet connection in the store and download the bar code image. Others standing around were doing the same. Having found where I should wave my phone it then told me to shove the item in the adjacent box.

Then you touch the link to get your new order. Just enter name and a little while later someone comes out of the back with your item.

I remember exactly the same fiasco about tow years ago trying to exchange a Christmas gift. It is even worse if phoning the local council and you go through all the menus and while doing this you keep getting the message that you are important to them plus reminders that you can go Online.

Going Online you are probably trying to deal with a Bot that generally cannot even get close to answering your question! What has happened to being able to speak to a human being?

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
My Wife went into our local Tesco yesterday. On the way back to her car she realized her debit card wasn't in her purse so she returned to the store. She had to queue at the checkout she'd used to be told by the assistant that it wasn't there. So, she queued at the Customer Service desk where eventually she spoke to another assistant who confirmed that the card hadn't been handed in and proceeded to take my Wife's contact details. When this was done my Wife was about to leave when a chap approached the desk and said he'd found a debit card on the car park and handed it to the assistant. My Wife immediately asked if the name on it was hers which the assistant confirmed. But, instead of simply handing it back the assistant insisted that my Wife prove her identity by producing a passport or driving licence. My Wife tried to reason with her to no avail. So, She had to come home, pick up her driving licence and return to the store to collect her card. Absolute nonsense!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My Wife went into our local Tesco yesterday. On the way back to her car she realized her debit card wasn't in her purse so she returned to the store. She had to queue at the checkout she'd used to be told by the assistant that it wasn't there. So, she queued at the Customer Service desk where eventually she spoke to another assistant who confirmed that the card hadn't been handed in and proceeded to take my Wife's contact details. When this was done my Wife was about to leave when a chap approached the desk and said he'd found a debit card on the car park and handed it to the assistant. My Wife immediately asked if the name on it was hers which the assistant confirmed. But, instead of simply handing it back the assistant insisted that my Wife prove her identity by producing a passport or driving licence. My Wife tried to reason with her to no avail. So, She had to come home, pick up her driving licence and return to the store to collect her card. Absolute nonsense!
Unfortunately the store assistant followed the correct procedure to safeguard themselves.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I know someone who works in M & S, I suspect all that is to make it difficult for scammers. A favourite amongst the local low life was to shoplift something expensive (shoes / boots / bags were favourite), hide round the corner out of sight and cut and unpick some of the stitching. They then walked back into the shop and got a cash refund. M&S didn't insist on receipts for returned items - that may have changed now.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
My favourite gripe is (usually female) supermarket customers who, once everything has been scanned, suddenly remember they actually have to pay for all of the shopping, so then spend ages trying to locate the correct card they want to pay with and THEN their stores loyalty card. Having both cards ready to hand is clearly in the "too difficult to think of ahead" basket!
Once paid its another age while the cards are returned to their correct (zipped) compartmente in the (zipped back up, not left open) purse which then has to be returned into the zipped up internal pocket of the also zipped back up, handbag
And THEN they spend another age very slowly and carefully loading everything into various bags, none of which are left open and ready to use in the trolley are they? Oh don't be silly man!!
And finally, once you have dealt with your shopping you go to leave and the self same person is now standing, right in the doorway, with their trolley broadside, chatting away to their friend, blissfully unaware of the rest of the world and blocking everyone else's egress.
I don't go supermarket shopping very often :rolleyes:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My favourite gripe is (usually female) supermarket customers who, once everything has been scanned, suddenly remember they actually have to pay for all of the shopping, so then spend ages trying to locate the correct card they want to pay with and THEN their stores loyalty card. Having both cards ready to hand is clearly in the "too difficult to think of ahead" basket!
Once paid its another age while the cards are returned to their correct (zipped) compartmente in the (zipped back up, not left open) purse which then has to be returned into the zipped up internal pocket of the also zipped back up, handbag
And THEN they spend another age very slowly and carefully loading everything into various bags, none of which are left open and ready to use in the trolley are they? Oh don't be silly man!!
And finally, once you have dealt with your shopping you go to leave and the self same person is now standing, right in the doorway, with their trolley broadside, chatting away to their friend, blissfully unaware of the rest of the world and blocking everyone else's egress.
I don't go supermarket shopping very often :rolleyes:
I had similar feelings when I used the bus to go to work. Generally the buses ran to time. But it was then quite common for ladies due to board to suddenly realise that they needed to explore their handbag to find money or their card. It was as if a bus turning up was a big surprise. The worst ones were those who paid in cash and then being kind to the driver ferreted around to give the correct fare in coins. My wife does it in shops, wheras I just flash the card. I’ve had one £10 in my wallet for at least a couple of months, and change stays in the car should I need it for parking fees if the machines are not taking cards or WiFi payments.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Then there are the drivers who wait at red traffic lights who get the shock of their lives when the light changes and they sit there trying to find a gear and get the handbrake soff

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
:rolleyes:
Or they use their phone to try and pay and keep trying and trying and eventually pay with a card anyway.

Having said that a few weeks ago went into Tesco, did shopping and all ready to pay, but machine would not do contactless so had to insert card and machine kept declining card for some reason. Tried CC and the same issue. Put shopping aside and went to cashpoint and on arrival it was not working.

On return OH tells me that the customer behind us also had issues with her card and paid in cash. We had to return some items and dig around to find cash.

On return home logged straight away into bank website as fearing we had been scammed however more then sufficient funds. I suspect that the card reader was faulty, but it caused us a lot of embarrassment!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I went to Sainsburys last Christmas to buy gift voucher, personal debit card declined, so paid on business debit card, Sainsburys lady said you need to take it up with Lloyds, so off I go to Lloyds, eventually they got through to the relevant department who told me the card was declined for my safety, as it is a common scam to buy vouchers, I asked what I should do and was told go to the cashpoint and get cash, to pay for the voucher when I asked why my business debit card was not stopped for the same reason, I was told it was different for business cards.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS